1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gay marriage compared to national education level...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ticklish Fish, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Ticklish Fish

i am probably reading those news comments on the internet too much.

but you know those statistics about how US is doing not as well on education in comparison to other countries? I recently come across a comment that says something like, the citizens are bothering with gay marriage when there are other important things (like education, or even economy) to worry about.

My mind just got a dent from this mindsplosion.

2. No, definitely not. This is some anti-LGBT guy trying to make more excuses why gay marriage isn't right and is destroying the values of America blah blah blah. America has never had the greatest education in the world, probably in part because it's such a huge country and, while there are many states with fantastic education systems, there are others that drag the average down a little.

3. knine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think its more like how could we possibly handle complicated education problems when we get so hung up on an easy question like gay marriage?

4. Good point. I don't mean to offend my US brothers but to us in the UK it seems astounding to us that you still havent legalised gay marriage. On the other hand, I suppose we haven't either, but parliament has agreed to it here - it'll just take a year to get through all the complicated whatsits of making a law

5. That is irrevocably stupid. Also most of the countries ahead of us (Finland, Sweden, Denmark, UK, Iceland. Canada, etc. etc.) have either gay marriage or a close equivalency.

6. Ticklish Fish

china and i think south korea don't lol

7. FJ Cruiser

The reason the US has such a "bad" system is because we try to democratically educate the masses until they're 18. Most other developed nations are FAR more homogeneous than the US, and compulsory education is only up to 16. Our public schools seemingly suck because we don't weed out as early, and we don't have a consistent culture surrounding education, yet we arguably have the best university system in the world.

Anyway, that argument used is bullcrap, and we all know it. And although I don't necessarily agree with it, we seem to be taking the path of letting the states decide, which is odd considering the federal implications of the institution of marriage, but it's an organically occurring compromise.

8. Ticklish Fish

what about inconsistent culture with education?

9. Harve

The UK hasn't legalised gay marriage, only England and Wales. Scotland won't be far away though, but Northern Ireland will probably take a long while...

10. FJ Cruiser

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. I said we have an inconsistent culture surrounding education due to our diversity.