1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Smoking

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LoveMusicPoetry, Feb 20, 2013.

1. LoveMusicPoetry

Does whether a person smokes or not affect whether you would go out with them? I really get put off by smoking, I absolutely hate it. I'm one of these evangelical ex-smokers and I just can't stand the smell of it. If somebody is a smoker I tend to dismiss them as a potential girlfriend. It's silly really though, the love of my life could be waiting for me and I would probably pass her by if she had a cigarette in her mouth. Do you think this is daft?

2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Wow, that's a good question. I'm not a smoker, and I would prefer to not date a smoker because I absolutely hate cigarettes. I don't think you're crazy to prefer someone to not smoke. A lot of people have turn-offs. For example, I'm not usually attracted to women who are shorter than 5'3'' in height, lol. But you do have a point. I guess it really depends on the situation. Let's say you met someone online and you really liked their personality and the way they looked. And then later found out they smoked. Would you dismiss them? It really depends on the person and how much you like them, I guess.

If I met someone I liked and found out they smoked, it wouldn't be a deal-breaker. I would definitely see where things could go. :slight_smile:

3. Tim

Tim

Honestly? It makes me feel sort of shallow, but yes. I could not date someone who smokes. No matter how much I have in common with them, how much we connect, etc. Then again, I also have a minor allergy to cigarette smoke, so yea. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

That's honestly my only deal breaker aside from them doing drugs.

4. derrik

I still date as often as I can - when asking a guy out - his smoking the last thing on my mind :slight_smile:

5. VDoof

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Being near people when they're smoking makes me feel sick. Smelling it on their clothes makes me feel sick. So, no, I don't think I'd ever be able to.

6. Phil

Phil Guest

I REALLY hate smoking, so i wouldn't date with someone that smokes. But of course, i could be friend of the person and all (as long as the person doesn't smokes close to me).
    It's not shallow, people doesn't date for things way less serious than that. We all got some preferences and we know what things would do to us more harm than good.

7. LoveMusicPoetry

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who has a thing about smoking. I dont think it would be a deal breaker if I really liked someone and subsequently found out they smoked, I do think I would be forever on their back about it though, so they might get fed up with me.

8. MichaelB

Well I smoke myself, so I'd be a hypocrite if I refused to date someone because they smoked... ;p

9. SnoopyGen

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Nope, never. The smell is mind-blowingly disgusting. It's completely their choice, but really, can you imagine falling asleep / waking up next to someone who smells like an ashtray?

10. FunnyMonkey

I would not date a smoker and I can be friends as long as they are respectful about not smoking in front of me.

11. June Cleaver

That is sad! I am a smoker and I met my soulmate who is not, last November. The first couple of months I chain-smoked as usuial and he said nothing except good things. I noticed it bothered him so I swiched to electric cigaretts which have no smell or tobacco. I still smoke, but smell like I don't and I can smoke inside the house and car now. He would still accept me if I had not swiched. I did it out of respect. I love him more than smoking. So if she is the one I don't see why she could not swich? :icon_biggJune:icon_bigg

12. Alexander69

I wouldn't pass him by because of it but he would need to quit because I can't live my life around that

13. I had a boyfriend that occasionally smoked, and I didn't tell him to quit, but he could tell I hated it so he did anyway. If I knew that he smoked beforehand I wouldn't have gone out with him! Also, I didn't mind him smoking weed but there are some other things he did that I ended up being part of the reason we broke up

14. curlycats

smoking is an absolute deal-breaker for me. having grown up with asthma due to my dad smoking, having permanent breathing problems because of it and having been promised all my life by him that he would quit and yet he still has yet to 27 years later-- i have grown to have a strong hatred of smoking. i absolutely, positively refuse to enter into a relationship with a smoker and be subjected to second-hand smoke again and i don't care what kind of promises they try to make about keeping the smoke away from me or quitting. it may seem selfish, but i refuse to compromise my health in any way just so someone else can keep up their bad habit.

#14 curlycats, Feb 20, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  15. It smells horrible, makes their breath smell horrible, yellows their teeth etc. Incidentally I'd refuse to date someone for reasons a lot more shallow than smoking.

16. leer

I am slowly cutting down only a few a day I dont want to date someone who was heavy smoker my ex was and it stank a bit .

17. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All my boyfriends have been smokers, even though I've never been one. My partner gave it up soon after we started dating, though.

Lex

18. Colours

I don't think it's daft. As a smoker myself I can really imagine how it is a turnoff. Idk about the smell though, I've dated a smoker too but I never smelled it off him at all, but that's probably because I'm a smoker myself. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thinking about quitting though. Sometimes cigarettes just disgust me. I don't think I have ever NOT thought about quitting, however.

19. Wickgaga

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think it's daft at all, and can totally understand why you wouldn't want to be with someone who smokes.

For me, I'd probably date someone who smokes. The only time I'm disgusted by smoke, is it it's blown when I'm like, right directly there next to them and the smoke comes at me, or in a car ... because I don't know if I'm just with bad smokers, but that damn smoke does not totally go out the window, even with the window down. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Otherwise, I don't really notice the smell just around the house, on them, etc. in general. I did grow up in smoking households, so maybe that has something to do with it? I don't know. As for the part of second-hand smoke & such ... the thought doesn't bother me. Even though maybe it should. *shrugs*

20. I always see cigarettes as the number one most dangerous drug, so it's simply no go for me. And that's without mentioning the smell and the coloration