1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

moving in with your partner?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by unbreakable, Feb 20, 2013.

1. unbreakable

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So to all those living with your partner... How long were you dating before you moved in together? Do you wish you would have done it sooner or later? Any regrets?

The last serious relationship I was in we moved in together after three months of dating. In retrospect I completely regret it because I was still getting to know him. We lasted five years and I definitely learned a lot about living with your partner. Now my girlfriend of seven months is hinting at getting a place together, and I would really love to, but I don't want to make the same mistake of moving in together too soon in the relationship... Advice?

2. never lived with a girlfriend but this is my own opinion.
    moving in together after less than a year at the very least is really not ideal for me. being in a relationship with someone is all well and fine but you dont know that person until you actually live together. everyone seems to be in such a rush these days :confused:
    imo. please dont hate XD

ive seen many many failed relationships with my friends who are all wrapped up in this sort of.... mode that has become the 'norm' now. meaning everything has to happen so quick when in reality they are just insecure or want to do what everyone else is doing so they dont feel left out.

my friend moved in with her now ex bf after 3 months of dating, it put a strain on the relationship. they should of been enjoying being together not having to worry so early into the relationship who would pay the rent, who does dishes, who washes the floor, clothes tidys the kitchen e.t.c.

another girl i know moved in with her gf after 2 months of dating. again it failed.
    another moved in after 6 months, that failed.

the most successful of my friends relationship wise is my best friend. shes been with her boyfriend for 5 years. they arent engaged yet or even living together they both took it slow and live happily ever after. although they do speak of getting a place e.t.c they both think long and hard about decisions they make together.

my advice would be though. dont move in so quick, 7 months isnt long at all to know someone. its a big decision, just like getting married. also youre still just getting out of kinda the honeymoon phase.

3. Ianthe

OMG you've been together 7 months and you haven't moved in yet?? That's like a lesbian world record!!!

Seriously, though, why not wait for the 1-year mark? But maybe her lease is up or something.

If she is pushing to move in together, and you want to wait a little, you can plan to move in together in a few months. That way she won't feel rejected, and you won't feel too rushed.

4. BudderMC

I remember my religion teacher saying you shouldn't do anything super-committed like that for at least 3 years, but she was a super prude.

I think the point is though that you should definitely give it some time and don't rush into anything for your partner at your expense.

5. unbreakable

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lmao ... I know right?!

The reason she wants to move is because she's discovered that there's mice in her apartment. Totally understandable that she would want to move asap.

We talked today and said we would wait until September if we still want to live together.

I'm still interested to hear other peoples experience though...

6. My boyfriend and I were together for around a year when he moved in, but it was planned for a couple of months before. No regrets at all, it's always been amazing and it hasn't caused a single issue. Every day is a blessing!

7. MixedNutz

We had been together 11 months when I moved in.

I don't think there is a time period, it depends on the people and the dynamic. 3 months is QUICK though. I'd say I wouldn't even consider the idea until 6 months.

8. Alexander69

I would move in right away I'm desperate LOL

9. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I think it just depends on the people. Some people start dating/move in together/get married within a few months and stay together. Some people do the same thing over a number of years and break up. so i think it just depends on the people whether they're ready or not.

10. AKTodd

I would agree with this. I moved in with my partner within 2-3 months probably (its been a while and my memory on this is a bit fuzzy). I was essentially living there anyway for a good bit before (slept at his house more nights than didn't, had some clothes there), although I did NOT (despite what my best friend insists) hit that point within a few days of meeting him. It was at least a few weeks :lol:

More seriously, although we moved quite fast, we also really really clicked when we met. I don't know that I would have ever anticipated our relationship developing as fast as it did. In fact, when I moved here, my clearly stated (repeatedly and loudly stated) goal was to have at least a half dozen meaningless hookups with different guys before I even began to consider looking for a relationship. Best laid plans about getting laid and all that I suppose...

Todd:slight_smile:

11. DMark69

My boyfriend moved in after we had been together for a year. 10 months later we went to Iowa and got married. No regrets at all.

12. You let her move in... then she kicks you out... happens all the time.

13. June Cleaver

Ok I am on serious relationship 5 in 22 years.

1st one I started playing with in 6th grade and we moved in at 18 and we had a really bad 2 years together till 20. He beat me a lot, tortured me a couple of times too. Always saying I was cheating or thinking of it. He treated me like a possesion. He found me many times into my 30's till I left town for good. Now from 6th to age 18 he was great! I was his everything and he made my school experience wonderfull. He was the school bully, go figure...

2nd never lived with me full time, a sugar daddy who had a wife and kids at home, but put me in a nice condo for around 2 years till he was killed. So he really does not count. What we had was good.

3rd Wanted me (unknown to me for a good year) and when I was single again; he had my best friend ask me out for him. We dated a month or so when he got us a place. We lived very hapy for 2 and a half years till he was killed on his job. He worshiped the ground I walked on and I did the same for him. It was one of the happiest times of my life! after him I waited from 1996 to 2007 before the next move in.

4th 2007-Oct 2011 We dated about 2 to 3 months when I got pressured into moving him in or loosing him. So I move him in and it was a really bad relationship. He abused me in many, many ways. I can't tell you how bad it was. As strange as it sounds the 3 other men I have had sexaully in this town all grew up with him and one is my soulmate and lives with me currently.

5th My current man is my soulmate. I have never felt emotions like this in my life. I am so happy I cry a lot. He never sees. We get along great and seem to be equally yoked. He moved in right away! It was love at first sight! Life with him is great! I am 40 now and my 40's look to be the best part of my life so far. We shall see!

Good luck! June

5th

14. FemCasanova

Wow, I have been with a chick for 4 months, and I would never move in with her this soon. For me, I think at least a year before moving in with each other is good. Actually, maybe a couple, lol. Ignore the last one, that was the commitment fear in me :wink: But yeah, anything less than a year seems a bit rushed to me. You did get a good suggestion though, when you talk to her about it, instead of just saying it`s too soon, you could suggest that you plan for it, and do it in a couple of months. It would also perhaps be a good idea to explain that you rushed it a bit last time, and you really want to get it right this time because you love her so much. That should sweeten the deal a little.

:slight_smile: