1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out on Facebook?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by mike19, Feb 21, 2013.

1. mike19

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    "I'm gay. No joke. This is serious." - every male Facebook user ever.

Do these "hackings" get on your nerves as much as they do mine? They, for some reason, always turn out like this.

I swear, if all of these "coming outs" were real, I wouldn't have any straight friends. In reality, as far as I'm concerned, I don't know any gay people.

Below is a quote that I find humorous.

2. Thor85

Thor85 Guest

Coming out on Facebook seems like cheating, I think it's better in person.

3. FemCasanova

There`s no cheating when it comes to something that can be this difficult. Sometimes saying it over FB is better than wanting to, but staying "hidden". Each has to do it in his/her own way. That said, I would not feel that it was a good alternative, because of the possibility of hackings and fake come-outs, your friends and family might not take it seriously, assume it`s fake crap, and then you have to do it all over again anyhow. Besides, on FB you cannot control who sees it and who does not.

4. Ianthe

Eventually, you come out on facebook, and change your Interested In to it's correct setting, and allow yourself to post gay stuff as it interests you.

This generally happens when you no longer regard the information as confidential.

I did come out my first time via a private Facebook message though. I knew I would never do it in person. At some point you just have to go "by any means necessary."

Coming out requires courage at first, no matter how you do it.

5. LoveMusicPoetry

Yes, the 'I am gay' frapes are terribley annoying. Do these morons actually think they are being original? Personally, I can't wait till get a proper gf, get out of this bloody marriage and can write on facebook, 'I'm a lesbian, a rug-munching, dykey lesbo. Yeah, it's true, I like girls'.

6. This is pretty stupid, that joke is not even funny. Besides, they should be doing work at school, not making jokes on facebook.

7. The jokes are stupid. As far as actually coming out on Facebook goes, FB is completely public (privacy settings are a joke), friends look at it, friends of friends look at it, employers sometimes look at it etc. so I wouldn't come out there until I was completely out.

8. LoveMusicPoetry

You know what, when I get myself sorted out and know where my life is headed, then I won't actually give a shit who knows, wants to know, doesn't know or doesn't approve. I hate keeping stuff inside my head, I'm terrible about keeping things about myself quiet. I've had 30 years of people thinking there's something wrong with me because I've got bad eyes, they might as well think I'm special for being queer as well.

9. kylo

I think the jokes and hacking as they like to call it is stupid and old. Making jokes about someone being gay isn't funny and the fact that the people making those stupid posts shows how immature they are. Besides, it's not even hacking when someone else is already logged in and you just post a status claiming to be them.

As for the coming out on Facebook I don't see anything wrong with it. It's sometimes a lot easier for some people to say things via email, chat, etc rather than in person.

10. LEZmis4

LEZmis4 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Yes. I'm finding it's requiring courage, a bit of luck, and some sort of something to knock down my inhibitions...lol. It's far more difficult than it seems it would be. I'm in the beginning stages, and each time I feel like I might throw up. I still can't really say the words...I manage to get out enough do the other person gets it...but typing it (like in a FB message) is FAR easier. I don't see coming out on FB as cheating at all. It's not the right option for me, but believe if it was I'd do it in a heartbeat over having to do it in person.

11. leer

Its also not nice if you are outed over facebook not nice at all .:tantrum:

12. Oregontinker

I have been considering coming out on Facebook for about a month now. All my family and friends know and the response has been positive. I figure I might as well make it Facebook official. Lol

13. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah... This is annoying. I've had my share of Facebook outings now. Mostly because I forgot to change privacy settings..

Different people come out in different ways. I've come out to some people in person and some people over Facebook. Really, it depended on location (I was too far away to tell them in person) and also because I knew that they wouldn't take it well. I came out using Facebook PM with well thought out somewhat long letters. (One is in my blog if you are interested.)

I don't think that one way of coming out is any better than another. You just have to decide what one is best for you.

14. Alex94

Alex94 Guest

I actually came out to the vast majority of my family through Facebook. It worked for me since I never really see them and I am not good with words. I am better at explaining things when I can write it down, plus I couldn't chicken out that way. Just mass messaged them and waited. :3 Some people think it's better to do in person while for others doing it in an indirect way is best. I mean when I told my parents I handed them a paper and told them to read it. I AM REALLY NOT GOOD WITH TALKING. lol. :3

---------- Post added 21st Feb 2013 at 03:52 PM ----------

Yep, that it does.

15. Ventus

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I used to have a friend who came out on facebook. Supposedly he started getting PMs like "Dude, you're joking right?" or "did someone hack your account". So he changed it back to straight after one hour and said he made a mistake.

I really feel bad for him.

16. LiquidSwords

Two very original frapes on my facebook from the last month or so, obviously the kids who posted them don't know that I am actually gay :lol:

17. TurtleRage

I plan on coming out as asexual on Facebook one of these days. I think I'll show off my asexual pride bracelet and make people wonder what it means. :eusa_danc I think a lot of people will be shocked that I didn't actually come out as a lesbian though. lol I'd like to say, "Sorry guys! My sister is the gay one." But she's not ready to come out to everyone yet. They actually think she's straight.

I may have ruptured an ovary from laughing so hard at this.

18. RueBea85

RueBea85 Guest

I don't see a problem with people who come out on Facebook, coming out in general, wether it's face-to-face, by email, text, Facebook is always hard.

For me, I don't have my interested filled in and when I have a relationship with a woman, if we want to post our photos on Facebook I'll do that, but until then I'm going to keep that part private, just because I don't really feel like everyone needs to know.