1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I study what I missed in high school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Cassindra Starlight, Feb 21, 2013.

1. As a high school student, I wasn't particularly stunning. I graduated on time, but I didn't take any math beyond Algebra 1, and my science was limited to Earth Science and Biology, both of which I got Ds in. I never was stupid (when I took the ACT test last year so I could try to get into college I scored 36 in reading, 34 in English, and 25 in math and science, with 36 being a perfect score and 25 being above average), I was just lazy at that time in my life.

Now I've been out of High School almost 4 years, and I've been accepted into the University of Montana as a full time freshman starting this August. I never was stupid (when I took the ACT test to get into college I scored 36 in reading, 34 in English, and 25 in math and science, with 36 being a perfect score and 25 being above average), I was just lazy at that time in my life. When I get there, I have to take basic proficiency tests in several high school subjects, which will determine whether I have to take remedial classes or not. I'd rather it be not. Subjects like English, reading, and social studies don't worry me, because I excel in those areas. What worries me is math and science. I scored above average on my standardized tests, but all I took was Algebra 1, Earth Science, and Biology. If they throw Geometry, Algebra 2, Chemistry, Physics, or the like at me, I might not be able to do it, because as smart as I am, if I never learned something, I don't know it.

I need to go back and learn what I didn't study in high school, and I need to do it without having to buy something, because I'm a broke Job Corps student. I assume the Internet has what I need somewhere, I'm just having a hard time finding it.

2. TraceElement

Do you have access to a GED program? You may be able to work something out with them in regards to resources for those classes. Not sure it will work, but worth a try.

3. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

The internet isn't always good for learning maths, except maybe geometry. It's good for sciences like biology, chemistry, and physics. It's just not the same as learning in a class. You'll find yourself depending heavily on memorization. Amazon.com sells lots of used textbooks for prices as cheap as $20, hell I even bought some for about $5.

4. My Job Corps center has a GED program, and they gave me access to their books, but I already learned the materiel they have. It doesn't go beyond what I learned in high school much. A GED course is more for getting the equivalent of a diploma than college prep, and I already have my diploma.

---------- Post added 21st Feb 2013 at 03:06 PM ----------

I could afford prices like that, but I don't have a debit card.

If memorization is what it takes, that's what it takes. The problem is finding information relavent to what high school courses teach, which is what I'll be tested on.

5. BudderMC

I highly, highly disagree.

If you want to learn math concepts, check out people like KhanAcademy and PatrickJMT. Those are the two I've used and I'm taking 3rd-year engineering math, so they cover a wide variety of subjects. They basically make video tutorials on different math concepts. They often give examples as well. They're really well done IMO.

As for the list of concepts you'd need, however, I'm not sure where you'd get that. Check the course listings for the program you're entering? Perhaps you could call the university and talk to an advisor? I'm sure you aren't the first person with this dilemma.

6. KhanAcademy looks nice. The video I looked at allows downloading, which works best in my situation.

Sending an email to someone at the University asking what they'll test me on doesn't sound like a bad idea. Judging by all my past dealings with the University they'll probably tell me.

7. Ridiculous

My advice would be to find a few old versions of the test you'll be taking (usually they have these things archived online or in their library - if they aren't available you could just find a similar test from another university, or an old highschool exam) and go through it and see how much you can do. When you get to a question you don't know how to approach, then you can search for help with that specific problem - it will work much better than just trying to learn everything without having much direction or knowledge of what is actually useful or necessary, and then attempting the exam and hoping you covered everything you need.

Doing this also gets you prepared for how the questions will be asked in the test.

8. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

High school is overrated.

9. Devious Kitty

iTunesU is a really good resource for learning various courses. Ive watched and listened to many quite interesting subjects (of course, I do it because I actually enjoy listening to them...) I'm sure they probably have something for pretty much anything you may want to learn about for a simple college proficiency test. And most importantly, its all completely free to download!

Edit: I just did a quick search for Geometry courses on there, and came up with about 10 or 15 separate collections, two of them being from the aforementioned Khan Academy, and one specifically for GED preparation.

#9 Devious Kitty, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  10. Ticklish Fish

there's youtube videos of science and maybe math subjects lol.
    particularly biology where you have to visualize stuff.
    chemistry is about taking observation of behaviors of certain things...

i remember actually youtubing/googling for one concept for calculus, I think it's the chain rule :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Convoy

I wish I could say the same, I'd be all set if I could only pass any math exams or get above a 19 on the ACT's, even taking all those classes doesn't guarantee anything even if you do put in the work. Heck I don't think our class valedictorian can get 36's in multiple categories. You've certainly got the smarts it that's your concern, you shouldn't have any issue learning things if you put your mind to it.

I can relate to the not doing enough in high school, looking back I wasted a lot of opportunities that I really should have taken advantage of. It was just one of those times though, I don't really know what I was doing or where I was going so that really hurt me.

Look at local bookstores, libraries and other places where students may have dumped their old books, older or disused books are often set aside and sold for lower prices than ones that are in demand so they may be better to learn on with a budget.

Getting some sort of credit would be greatly useful too, it'll help you not only in purchases but in other situations when you'll need that feedback from creditors (Loans, rates, etc). Just don't abuse it, even if you did then there's always time to fix it (Sooner rather than later).

12. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l tell you what. l was briefly in the juvenile correction system and l PROMISE you l learned nothing in our "school". l think the curriculum was nearly special education but the state was permitted to call it standard so our credits aligned with the public schools.

l looked at your age and l'm not sure about your state but here, students over 21 don't even need to show ACT or SAT scores. Though, l started out in community college.

l did take about 1 semester of general ed classes to make up for what l was missing in my transcripts, but generally if you test well enough and are over a certain age, many exceptions are made.

l'd visit some of the online free education sources people mentioned but you won't need to cram as much as you think you do.

#12 OMGWTFBBQ, Feb 21, 2013
  13. Just Jess

High school drop-out myself, proud owner of a GED, I'm embarrassed to say how many years between high school and college for me. I totally know how you feel.

Way late to the party, but in addition to khan academy, oak road systems was amazing for me freshman year. I'd start with trig without tears. All the hard stuff you get hit with right off is gonna be trig and exponents.

Trig Without Tears
    Exponents, Derivatives, and Integrals, oh my!

Once you're really good with that you're gonna wanna head to Paul's online math notes. That will take you all the way from calc 1 to anywhere.

Paul's online math notes

And at some point if you do science you're gonna wanna learn vectors

Introduction to Vectors in plain English

From high school algebra to advanced math! The 'net's pretty awesome I think.

Oh BTW, I really think you should learn the greek alphabet early on. And if you're a computer nerd like me LaTeX.

#13 Just Jess, Feb 21, 2013
  14. photoguy93

There's a ton of stuff online and you can get used textbooks for DIRT cheap on Amazon.

I didn't have a break in between, but I did muck up my high school years. I just never felt like I was running on all engines - I got by. I got A's and B's and a few C's - I'm not at all stupid, either.

But in college, I finally learned how to put the pieces together. So, while you are studying and trying to learn some things, maybe take it upon yourself to go the distance. This might sound crazy, but learning a foreign language is a great place to start. That's what helped me to realized I could study, and there wasn't something wrong with me. You force yourself to sit down and learn vocab or concepts.

Or, if that isn't your thing, maybe it's something else that is similar.

Best of luck!

15. I can't use iTunes. My internet connection is on a Job Corps computer, which does not and never will have iTunes installed. My personal owned computer has iTunes, but it doesn't have an internet connection.

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2013 at 08:42 PM ----------

My Job Corps center blocks Youtube, unfortunately.

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2013 at 08:49 PM ----------

I think the biggest problem here is my living environment. I live on a closed campus Job Corps out in the middle of nowhere, and I can't leave the center. Even if I could, it's too far to the closest town, which doesn't have a bookstore anyway. This also makes maintaining credit difficult, as we get paid in cash here and we don't have a bank. The libraries have a few GED books, but they don't cover college prep materiel. My one resource is the internet, and I have limited time on it and no access to iTunes or Youtube. All of this makes studying very hard.

What I do have is my own computer (though it lacks internet) and a large external hard drive. I can get stuff online and put it on the drive, then use it on my computer when I have time. What I'm looking for is resources I can pull of the internet and put on my hard drive without too long a download time, so that I can go study in my room.

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Education is overrated...

....build a sailboat instead (geometry, engineering, carpentry, fluid mechanics, hydrodynamics, aeronautics and God knows what else) then sail it (celestial navigation, meteorology, logistics, electronics, communications, triangulation, laws of the sea, commerce, etc.)...got my point?

If not, here it is: you learn by doing and tinkering, getting your hands dirty, by getting into the muck of reality: you are well-equipped to figure things out for yourself, especially because your survival depends on it.

Beats sitting in class all day, or sitting in front of a computer...and you'll actually remember what you learned, instead of learning to pass someone's conceited notion of a "test"

17. Ticklish Fish

omg... can u go online and buy some used (cheaper) version of college prep materials? lol. some shit like AP or intro college stuff might suffice

18. At the University of Montana I did have to. I would have volunteered them if I didn't have to, however, because my ACT scores were pretty impressive, and I wanted the University to see them.

At my college I have to take tests when I first get there, and if I score high I don't have to take any make up classes at all, but if I score low I do have to.

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2013 at 09:07 PM ----------

This is perfect. The print view should transfer to my external fast.

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2013 at 09:07 PM ----------

No credit/debit. I've got enough money, but it's cash, which isn't really helping me any.

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2013 at 09:09 PM ----------

I am planning to learn Spanish in college. They offer it, and it'd be useful if I decide to go home to California later on (or even if I don't). Then again, English/Language Arts is one area I don't need to study. I'm good enough at it not to be worried about passing a test.

19. kiltrout

kiltrout Guest

This man knows his stuff!

20. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My 12th grade social studies teacher actually told me once something like: "The reason we have high schools is so that we have a place to keep people until society is ready for them." He also said that the basic stuff we actually needed we learned by the end of elementary school (reading, basic math, etc).

My teacher was about one year from retirement, and he was more than a little cynical and burned out by that point. But his comments were thought provoking. Which is more than I can say for the school district chosen/approved social studies text books.