1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High school expectations

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by anthonythegamer, Feb 21, 2013.

1. I'm sure many people thought of high school similarly to Mean Girls and other stuff in the media. Pretty much cliques, serious girl world drama, muscular jocks checking themselves out, the queen bee outing tons of people, and teachers making out with each other. Anybody else thought high school was going to be like this? I sure did, that's why I tried oversleeping.....

2. Ticklish Fish

you watch too much tv/movies XD
    sure, there might be some cliques and groups, but in reality, everyone's just finding themselves in high school.

don't worry too much haha.

and IDk about teachers making out part @_@

3. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

High school for me was like being surrounded by people I, at the time, thought were fools who babbled incessantly about idiotic, uninteresting gossip and treating it as some sort of all important doctrine they called "drama." It was also full of teachers who I knew were less intelligent than myself and some even acknowledged so, yet they insisted that because they were adults they deserve gross amounts of respect. Then about halfway through I ran away from home and never saw any of those faces again.

4. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

I thought it was going to be like this, too, and I met everyone with scorn at first to establish my 'dominance'. Weird because I'm usually a submissive person. But then I realized that more localized, within-group drama is more common than centralized, full-school drama.

5. ameliawesome

oh my goodness, i LOVED high school. my school was nothing like the movies/tv shows portray it to be! possibly because my town is so large and the school was so filled beyond capacity with kids from all kinds of cultures/backgrounds.

6. I also got the benefit of a large high school, enough room to give everyone space for friends but no room for real popularity (not saying high school is great but it's not terrible).

7. Oddish

Oddish Guest

High school isn't all cliquey as it's advertised in movies/TV/media. I think it's okay, I go to a fairly large high school so.. there's really no popularity things going on, and most people are pretty cool. A lot of us keep to ourselves.

To be honest, it just reminded me of a bigger, more advanced version of middle school (which is what it is - essentially). At least people are fairly more mature in high school so that made things a bit better and I wasn't teased at all throughout HS unlike in MS @__@. Plus being the extrovert I am, I really enjoy the fact that there's so many kids and people to just strike conversations with. None of that.. small group, clique, cliche things you see in movies. It's not like Mean Girls at all, I promise.

Also, why does media portray the more popular a female, the higher her shoes? Imo, in my school experiences, the more comfortable the shoes the more popular you are (ie Vans, converse, skate shoes). Silly early 00 films.

8. Alexander69

Lol some of the stuff from mean girls is true ONLY BECUASE of te movie MEAB GIRLS BECUASE girls watched it and wanted to be like that BECUASE they thought it was the way to be to be popular. It's the truth I remember being in grade 6 or 7 when it came out and all the gilrs were changing and I saw it. :/ ad by high school they were naturally like that now. I was popular so I know that some of what that movie goes is true but some of what that movie shows is now reality BECUASE it was shown

9. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    My school is like split into 2 groups.
    Popular and not popular.
    I am in the popular group. Not as amazing as it sounds, but there have been times when we have been total pricks to the Unpopular people. I kinda felt bad after, but not too much.

10. After a semester in high school, everyone is pretty accepting. Since there's more teachers married to each other, I'm a bit paranoid that teachers might make out with each other.....

11. Ticklish Fish

in my high school, we had teachers who DIVORCED each other...

12. Suffocation

lol no i don't expect that, but according to my siblings and relatives, it really is tho. lol

13. FJ Cruiser

I liked high school, really. I had a terrible middle school experience, so instead of going to the high school for my attendance zone, I went to a magnet high school across town. The high school I was supposed to go to definitely had the jocks/cheerleaders vs. not jocks/cheerleaders mentality.

The high school I went to basically functioned like two schools: those who took AP/IB classes (most of the magnet kids), and those who didn't (most of the neighborhood kids). I was involved with the magnet half of the school, and despite my introversion, I didn't find it too hard to get involved, and it was actually the cool thing to do there. I was in a lot of extracurricular activities. I knew all the people in my classes, and we all got along. We had an open campus where we were responsible for getting to our classes and where we went to lunch. I had some amazing teachers like a former Harvard researcher, a former Wall Street economist, a published novelist, a Tae-Kwon-Do-black-belt-ordained-minister-Peace-Corp-volunteer turned English teacher, a former 82nd Airborne soldier who overcame his Asperger's to become an awesome Calculus teacher, the list goes on. Most of my classes had 10+ nationalities represented, so we all learned a ton from each other and the different cultural perspectives on an issue. I'm sure there was drama, but I'm so out of the loop on most social cues that I never ran into it.

I used to despise my hometown, but I realized that if such an amazing oasis can exist in a such a dusty, stiflingly conservative city, then maybe there's a place for me wherever I go.

#13 FJ Cruiser, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  14. Nyanko

When I was about to start high school, my sister liked to tease me and say people actually did get thrown in the trash and rolled down the stairs. I didn't believe her, and I'm glad I didn't because it was completely untrue. Anyway, I envisioned high school to be exciting and new, and it was. Everyone is pretty open about anything here, and there is no popular/unpopular. If you're friendly people will like you regardless of what you like or are. I've seen really "nerdy" looking kids getting along with a lot of the "popular" people, and even I've become friends with people I never thought would talk to me.

But since there are a lot of different people here, that doesn't mean everything is all good and well. Some athletes only associate with the well-known group, and they have a habit of making fun of other people for not being as "cool" as they are. Because of that, not that many people like them. xD