1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need scholarly resource on LGBT transnational movements

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RainDreamer, Feb 22, 2013.

1. RainDreamer

I am going to write a research paper about a transnational movement of my choice, and how it effects countries, especially developing countries, and so I choose LGBT movement. Now I need as much resource about this topic as I can get.

There are too little research done about this topic, despite how our movement has expanded world wide, and it has been changing many countries' cultures and politics surrounding the topic of sexuality, and in turn, changing the way they develop.

I have been doing research from my university's library and Google, and found some interesting stuff, but if someone here had read something good about the topic at hand, please recommend it to me, cause I need a lot more.

P.S: It would be really, really nice if you guys have a link or download of those resource. None is needed, but having one is very appreciated.

#1 RainDreamer, Feb 22, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. JustaGirl1

Hi RainDreamer!! My name is Maria, I was desperately looking for information for my final thesis for university when I saw your post come up on google.. One you made here about needing information about transnational networks and the lgbt movement??

Could you please reply? I would absolutely love to talk to you since Im in a very tough situation and Im quite sure you could help!

Would love to hear from you

xoxo
    Maria

3. DesertTortoise

The Radical Faeries are transnational. There are a number of books on them, and you might get some leads there for academic work. Come think of it, there was a report on a conference of academics and writers in honor of the memory of one the early generation of Faeries--in RFD.

---------- Post added 25th Nov 2013 at 04:09 PM ----------

There's a book on Harry Hay, The Trouble With Harry. One of the first Americans who did research into Queers in history and across the earth, one the first to claim that we HAD a history, so that might play a part in your own project.

4. JustaGirl1

Hi DesertTortoise! So nice of you to reply!
    That is very helpful! Thank you!!
    Looks like you know a lot about the subject so would you mind me asking something else? Maybe you can give me a hand?

Im actually studying international relations and finishing my degree as soon as I present my thesis. I wanted to make it about transnational advocacy networks and wanted to make my case study about the movement to legalize same-sex marriage..
    I'm having some trouble identifying an actual "Transnational network" for this, an actual movement of organizations that are working together towards the legalization of same sex marriage?
    Would there be something like this? Do you know anything that could help?

Thank you so much in advance!
    Maria
    xx

5. DesertTortoise

I wouldn't know. I'm mostly familiar with Radical Faeries--who tend to be anti-assimilation, so marriage--which is like a bribe by the normative establishment to be more like them if you want the same rights and benefits--not looked on with much favor by many. Though faeries are way individual in their views... so there was even a Faerie marriage at the SMS fall gathering.
    I think reading some of the sources I suggested might open up some other ideas for your topic--not just faerie queer, but a broader inside way of seeing our history, rather then through such a normalizing lens, like marriage.
    Very different ways of looking at queer status in a hetero-normative world. Assimilate and pretend you're only queer in bed with your lover and have nothing in common with other queers that's different than the hetero-world--other than you like fucking them. No history. Nothing you could call a culture.
    Or--you start from the assumption that we always have been and always will be a minority--of many tribes perhaps, with more in common with one another than sexual preference. The choice is not between discrimination or assimilation (eradication of our visible and potential cultural identity) but between being a persecuted minority, or a valued minority. Rejection of the melting pot myth and the horrors that inflicts on marginalized minorities, and the pressures to conformity that go with it.