1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

self-awareness of sexuality long before realizing it

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thebrightficus, Feb 23, 2013.

1. hi, i've come up with an interesting little hypothesis. i was thinking back (waaay back) when i was about, like, as young as 3-4/6-7 and how i was oddly attracted i was to males. i remember i'd always stare at the super heroes with abs and had a slight crush on Link from LoZ for a period of time. but, the thing was, i didn't think anything of it. it kind of just slipped by my mind and out the other, yet i still remembered those feelings.

i've realized that i was sexually aware of my attractions way before i was actually aware of them.

because by the time i came across the idea of being gay, i finally started to connect the dots. this happened a couple years ago where i was a lot more conscious of my thoughts, yet there was a fear within me to identify as gay. why was that? i've come to the conclusion that...

had i never been exposed to the idea of lgbt, coming out, princes and princesses, and any hetero normative subliminal messages, i truly believe that i, and others, would not even be aware that we were different, ever. we would simply be attracted to others and simply exist.

and i say this because it's weird how we probably we very aware that we were lgbt, but we never were truly "aware".
    only by these hetero normative subliminal messages were we able to identify and feel pride within our sexualities/gender, as well as suffer because of it. isn't that strange? it wouldnt have been possible for good things to happen for us without bad things in the current state of things.

i think this is the key to creating an equal world for lgbt people. simply expose every aspect of sexuality and gender within media without attributing suffering or being different to them. simply let it be

really, i just wanted to put my thoughts out there for someone to read. but what do you think?

2. Mox

Mox

I know exactly what you mean. I can remember being about 8 or 9 years old and being jealous of boys because they got to date girls and I, being a girl, had to date boys. I always knew it would be so much easier for me to love a girl but I just recently realized I'm gay.

3. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know of a lot of people who knew they were gay as early as five. I just don't relate to that at all. I had no idea of my sexuality until 13.

4. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Makes sense. I came out in 1978 and I had no idea being a lesbian was an option (acceptable or unacceptable) prior to maybe 1975. Earlier in childhood, all the signs were there, but I didn't know what it meant even though I had a sense I was different. If I had seen diversity and acceptance around me, my sexuality would have developed more naturally and appropriately (for me) instead of a series of misguided decisions. On the other hand, because I had to fight for my rights, I had a sense of accomplishment. I also enjoyed being different and special, but I would have gladly just felt "normal" if it meant avoiding the suffering of lgbt kids who weren't as fortunate.

5. Naren

I know exactly what you mean. I knew I was trans even before I knew what the word meant, much less being exposed to lbgt etc. When I learned about it, it just clicked. It made a ton of things make sense.

6. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

I never could relate to the typical gay childhood story. I didn't feel different from other boys and had crushes on girls since age 5. The idea that two guys or two girls could be romantic or sexual with each other was a totally foreign concept when I was a kid. Puberty was when it all changed 180 degrees.

7. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree with your post. I was always attracted to guys, but I never even knew what "gay" was until my teens. If I hadn't discovered what homosexuality was, I may just have thought I was straight my entire life.

8. jeanie

jeanie Guest

Weirdly enough, I've always had crushes on both genders and never thought anything of it. When I was around 11, I had a very serious crush on a girl and honestly didn't think I was different. I was aware of what gay and bisexual were, but I never put myself into either of those categories. I'd like a girl and be like "oh, I like this girl".

Of course, whenever anyone has talked negatively about lgbt people I've always felt personally offended, so I must have known something lol.

As I got older I knew I didn't like guys nearly as much as I liked girls, but I didn't have any concept of my own sexuality until someone mentioned the kinsey scale to me. I looked up the kinsey scale, and the questioning and obsession began.

9. Kyubi

I think my attraction to guys came about between 7 and 12 and it also seemed normal lol and I realised I was not heterosexual at 16 or so which made me think back and scared the shit out of me lmfao!!!!

10. x Wallflower x

Looking back there are alot of things that pointed towards me liking girls that are really obvious now that never registered with me untill quite recently. i wish id figured it out sooner it would've saved me alot of stress and worrying but growing up i was surrounded by straight people and it never occured to me i could be anything but that.

11. June Cleaver

For me I was 5 or 6 when my mom explained I was a boy like my dad. Up till then I thought I was female like my mom. It crushed me, I wanted to grow-up to be just like her wearing high heels, make-up, and the elegant dresses she would wear back then. I have always been a female no matter what I look like. In puberty guys started noticing me and it was on from there!

12. FollowtheFreeman

I didn't realize I was pansexual till I was 17. I win.

...for being the most ignorant child.

13. knine

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Admitted to myself I really needed to experiment at 23. I win!!