1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mathletes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Rivers, Feb 24, 2013.

?

Do you like math?

1. Math is my life.

22 vote(s)
    25.3%
  2. I like math.

26 vote(s)
    29.9%
  3. I dislike math.

13 vote(s)
    14.9%
  4. Math makes me want to die in a hole.

26 vote(s)
    29.9%
  1. Rivers

I've noticed that this forum has a lot of artists, writers, and musicians. What I haven't noticed are math geeks. I'm on my school's math team, and we had a competition yesterday (If you're curious, we're advancing to state level). I'm not nearly as passionate about math as the other three members, but I am pretty good at it.

So any other mathletes? Does anyone even like math (even a little)?

2. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was invited to a math and science camp during high school. I was pretty good at math and I did enjoy it.

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I'm a senior in college finishing up my degree in mathematics, so yeah, you could say I like it. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Just yesterday I was hanging out with some friends of mine and one contemplated aloud about what would happen if you took the Fibonacci sequence and ran it backwards. So we found out. Yup, recreational math. It was a great night. :slight_smile:

4. Cthulhu

I love stats, like other types of math with the exception of linear algebra. That can burn in a pit of fire.

5. I despise math although I do like statistics/probability/chance.

6. SmokeandMirrors

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ......:roflmao: I'm a soon to be qualifying teacher and during a subject knowledge day for maths/english last month, I sat there and just ran the fibonacci sequence on and on and on.

7. Cthulhu

Whenever I think of the Fibonacci sequence, I think The Da Vinci Code. Silly movie, but that's what (sadly) first introduced me to that concept, not that it's a hard concept to figure out.

8. BudderMC

I liked math up until calculus. I HATE calculus. I still love algebra and stats though.

Sadly, in engineering all I do is calculus and none of the other two. :frowning2:

9. fuzzywuzzy

Math was fine for me until the alphabet took over. It has never been my strong side and I've literately cried in a corner as a kid after countless hours, trying to figure out my homework.

10. Shizune

I like math, but it have become pretty boring, since we got a new math teacher last year (who doesn't like me). But I'm not the only one in my school who thinks she makes math boring.

11. Eponine

I joined the Mathletes when I was in middle school. I'm currently getting my teaching credential in Math. Math has taken over my life.

12. Shadow7796

Shadow7796 Guest

I love math! It is my third favorite subject (behind science and band XD ), which is good because I need A LOT of math knowledge for what I want to major in.

13. Bolin

Math makes me want to pour gasoline all over myself and light a match. However, I really like calculus and trigonometry.

14. caughtbywitness

I like maths as much as Hitler

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You like math as much as you like Hitler? Or you like math as much as Hitler liked math?

Back in 1984, they instituted a nationwide math competition here in the United States. Schools would have tests to determine which students to compete in the district competition. The top four finishers would go to the state competition, and the top four finishers from that would go to the national competition.

...yep. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. Literally.

[​IMG]

I took part in the very first one, in 1984. I don't recall how I placed in the school competition, but it was well enough to go to the district competition. I was a bit surprised to find out that I placed third there, which was enough to put me in the state competition. I went there knowing that was the end of the line for me - I mean, with two people ahead of me in the district, how could I hope to make the cut?

I placed fourth. I really have no idea how.

I then was flown to Washington DC to take part in the national competition. I was roomed with a kid from Missouri who, for reasons I never quite got, really had no interest in being there. I mean, I can understand not wanting to take part in a math competition, period. But he'd already done three, and won a trip to Washington DC out of the deal. :slight_smile:

The competition went great. I didn't do great on the main test compared to my teammates - I scored worse than all of them - but collectively we placed third in the nation (behind Virginia and California, if memory serves). I do recall getting horribly confused during the teamwork competition, where you work with your teammates to solve a problem. Thankfully, this didn't count towards our final score, since we completely blew one of the three questions. It was involved a "spherical drop of oil", which I took to mean a ball-shaped drop, full of oil. The other three were convinced it meant a HOLLOW sphere, with oil on the outside and air inside. I have no idea why they were so adamant about that. Ended up they were wrong, and I was right, but I recall our team issued a formal challenge to the question because of it. In any event, we obviously didn't score well there.

Our entertainment? A talk given by a couple former astronauts (NASA was a sponsor), and a breakdancing crew. Hey, it was 1984. :slight_smile:

I ended up with four trophies. Two smaller wooden ones for district (I don't recall what the second one was for), a larger wooden one for placing fourth in state, and a large lucite one for being on the third place team. I had them on my desk through high school, but I didn't drag them to college - they were too heavy, they took up too much room, and I felt a bit weird about advertising something I won in middle school in college. I think they've since been trashed. But they looked like this even back in 1984.

[​IMG]

Lex

16. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I consider myself terrible at maths, yet I've never failed a maths class in my entire school career. I think it's just my intuition that tries to figure out things.. without really paying attention. I like some aspects of maths but in general..

voted last option.

17. Fiddledeedee

For my A-Levels, I'll be doing Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and another subject. Yes, I like maths! It runs in my family; the entryway is plastered with UKMT challenge certificates we've earned, and I hope to keep adding to them.

18. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We never had an official Mathletes team at my high scool but there was an annual competition held by a local community college in which about 8 schools would compete in a vast array of subjects.
    I always participated in the Creative Writing one, but in my Senior year I was on the Algebra and Calculus teams as well and we won first and second, respecitvely. :slight_smile:

19. Adarya

I do like arts, music, writing, etc., but I do actually like math too. It's one of the few things that I completely excel at and doing math makes me feel good about some of my abilities. I've even mentored a few people in my school. I'm also on a school knowledge bowl team, my specialties being "paper and pencil" questions (math) and literature.

20. caughtbywitness

Good point, for grammar's sake let's hope he hated it too!