1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entomology

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kyubi, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Kyubi

Hey, I'm a bug enthusiast and made a cool discovery this weekend - found a 3inch(head to tail) death's head hawk moth and it made me feel amazing. So now I want to know if anyone else on here is interested in this stuff or if anyone witnessed some cool insects lately? Any comments are welcome.

2. Cthulhu

I once saw a house centipede in the sink of one of my university's washrooms a few years back. Terrified the living shit out of me.

3. nikom87

My uncle is an entomologist and I think its fascinating. He visited once and we both saw a luna moth that was probably about 3-4 inches http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actias_luna I just looked up the death's head hawk moth; what a cool looking moth!

Did you/are you studying that in school at all?

4. timo

That would seriously give me a heart attack.

5. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I live in Australia. Australia = spiders.
    Saw dipluridae a few years back... in a zoo, at least. Erm. I almost wanted to cry.

I've also seen a few other kinds of spiders in the house, on the sidewalk, on the tram...

I don't really want to collect those. Or witness them.

6. Kyubi

here is a photo of the one I found. Just wish I added something for measurement. I anticipate the moment I find a Luna moth - I'll die happy at that moment. I am somewhat of a moth freak. Haha. I started studying archeology but stopped because I rather wanted to do something in biology but now I have so many to choose from hahahaha. Entomology jumped a few spaces on the list after the moth thing inspired me. I do not like spiders!!! I do six legs and that's it!

Attached Files:

7. LoveMusicPoetry

I am scared stiff of moths, absolutely petrified of them. Spiders, not bothered, will quite happily get them out of the bath, even if they are huge, but moths, no way, I hate them, I freak out if there is a moth in the room.

8. Kyubi

I actually wanted to get a giant centipede as a pet but discovered that it's quite difficult to acquire so am now moving to giant mantids. A pet shop near where I work stock dead leaf mantids and I'm gonna get one hahaha.

---------- Post added 24th Feb 2013 at 10:54 PM ----------

I'll post a pic of the moon moth species(similar to Actias Luna) we have here in South Africa when I get home.

---------- Post added 24th Feb 2013 at 10:57 PM ----------

the dislike for moths isn't uncommon lol! I find some species very annoying myself but at least I'm not scared of any.(!)

9. Cthulhu

Mantids are really cool:

[YOUTUBE]8azUs0Y-i5I[/YOUTUBE]

10. Kyubi

hate is a strong word...be mindful lol. Insects are awesome. You could make an entire continents ecology falter by just removing a species of ant from it. They're amazing.

11. Cthulhu

The complexity of bugs is amazing, but I wouldn't want most bugs on me (especially centipedes).

12. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

I saw a white, red-polka dotted spider in my yard once. :eek:

One of my biology professors said he was hiking in Arizona for grad school research and suddenly his colleague's face turned white and he was like, "Take off your backpack now." He did, and a foot-long centipede slithered away! Those are the kinds harmful to humans...scary! The pains of being a biologist. :lol:

13. Kyubi

hahahahahaha!!!! True for most but I love to pick up and touch(ones with no defensive projectiles or excretions lol).

14. batears

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I studied entomology and I have to agree insects are fascinating. I am a big fan of mantids myself. Especially flower mantids, since they are so colourful and such good camouflagers. :thumbsup:

15. timo

OH GOD DOES THAT THING FLY? It's HUGE, and even scarier than I imagined it to be. Actually this whole thread creeps me out. On the other hand it's kinda fascinating, but the creepiness wins. Forgive me while I go sit in the corner and cry.

16. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As an analytical chemist, I am trained to detect things at the nanogram and even picogram levels (that's 10 to the minus 9 and 12 grams, respectively), yet a bee can detect a single molecule (a scent from a flower), in full flight, inside a volume equivalent to a cubic meter!

Bugs are awesome.

17. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like insects from a distance, they really are fascinating and important animals. But I prefer if they dont get too close to me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    Spiders are awesome! Theyre one of my favorite animals.

18. Kyubi

Lol, thanks for the great posts. This thread proved to be very entertaining hahaha. entertainment lvl:99999

19. Ridiculous

Well I saw this thread yesterday, and I made me think that I hadn't seen any wetas in my backyard for a long time.

Look what just crawled through my window today:
    [​IMG]
    About 6-7 centimeters, excluding the feelers.

I tried to get it to go out by prodding it but it really didn't care and just sat there. I had to give it a prolonged push before it started moving. I think it is still sitting on the side of the house above the window.

Thankfully the backyard variety don't get this big (yes that is a normal sized carrot).

Attached Files:

• weta.jpg
      weta.jpg
      File size:
      140.3 KB
      Views: