1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Let's Coexist!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by myheartincheck, Feb 24, 2013.

1. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey~

I wanted to ask everybody what their Religion/faith/spirituality was, and then name another one that you appreciate and name why. No putting down religions/faiths, just what you appreciate about a different one from your own.

For example: I'm a Christian, but I've always admired Buddhism. The Eightfold Path is a great teaching tool for how to pursue peace throughout one's life. Also, Enlightenment is a state of mind that we all pursue, maybe just with different labels.

I have other reasons for admiring Buddhism, but I would rather hear what you guys have to say. ^_^

2. Eatthechildren

I'm an atheist, and I've always found Paganism (Modern reconstructed and ancient) really interesting and quite beautiful. If I was going to be religious, I know what I'd be :slight_smile:

3. DeanIsHome

Idk what faith i am, i'm confused, but it was assumed i was like my dad so Bani-Muslim, I always admired animism because it's what makes my culture have some really cool rituals and dances that i like to preform and watch.

4. Rivers

I'm Catholic (sort of), but I think that Judaism is quite interesting. Its history is fascinating to me every time I read it.

5. Fiddledeedee

Recently an atheist, though perhaps one more inclined towards theism than other atheists might be. I really admire Sikhism, though, with its emphasis on helping others, and what I know of Paganism from friends is a mixture of scary and beautiful (I can't really be more specific). Other religions have always fascinated me.

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an atheist (which is an epistemological stance, not a religious faith), and I just wanted to second that I like Sikhs for a number of reasons. 1) their headdresses are totally awesome, 2) I like the whole carrying a knife thing, 3) having an ethical stance around fighting evil is exactly what we need right now.

A friend of mine follows in Ásatrú traditions, and he and I have almost the exact same ethical view, so I wanted to shout out to that religion. Basically, if you're okay with dirty love, and fighting evil, there must be something right about your religion.

7. Sayu

I'm not an atheist, but I don't link God with any religion. I like the philosophy of Buddhism :slight_smile:

8. Same here

9. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you all for the responses so far! :slight_smile:

You're right. I was trying to think of an all encompassing term, but my brain went on vacation today. I apologize to all of those who feel the terms I've used do not apply to them, I'd still love to hear your responses!

10. i'm a Buddhist (though i wouldn't say the best one out there by ANY means lol), but i'm fascinated by the Christian and Islamic faith. i personally love stories, so the allegory within both of the religions really intrigued me and they're just interesting reads too.

11. LoveMusicPoetry

Hm, well, I've never been religious, I see religion as a form of social control, designed to keep people in their places. I do however understand that this is only my oppinion and that it plays a very important role in many people's lives. Anything that encourages people to behave decently and with compassion towards one another has got to be a good thing, it's when it crosses over into generalised biggotry and hatred I don't like. England is a christian country, it's the state religion, and I don't like to see schools taking it off the curriculum, I think they should be taught about all the major world religions. Not because I necessarily want kids to grow up as christians, but rather that, a, they should be given the knowledge, then they can choose their own path, and b, because so much of our culture is shot through with religious references, that to not be aware of the story of Adam and Eve, for example, would mean they were missing a large chunk of cultural understanding and it would probably result in a complete disconnect of the social deixis between the generations. This is probably not the answer you were looking for, it's the typical kind of pompous answer you can expect from me lol.

12. mwaffles

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm an atheist but I like Buddhism. It's peaceful, idk... I think it's great because to be happy it only depends on you.

13. LoveMusicPoetry

If pushed, and after reading the other posts, I feel I should be, I would say that I have a lot in common with the Society Of Friends, Quakers. I don't dig on violence and I believe that the power of god, if there is such thing as god, exists within every one of us. It's up to us to decide how god manifests itself.

14. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l love the Quakers LMP. l did an internship with the American Friends Service Committee.

The liberal Quakers dont believe in God necessarily but something close to the idea of it, like l do. Although some believe in God in the traditional sense, it's a very individual decision.

15. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was born Catholic, and even spent grades 1 to 3 in an all-boy boarding school run by nuns (maybe that's why...?), I got the full religious treatment.

Several years later, when I was 24, after many years of fascination and learning I converted to Judaism, with the help of a kind Rabbi and his family, I chose to live a modern orthodox Jewish lifestyle for several years. I learned some fundamental things about being human and the wisdom of centuries. I learned of God and men and their relationship, about ethics, about bringing holiness down to earth, in full and practical expression by living with both positive and negative commandments within the context of what is loosely translated as the "way", the Law or halacha which seeks to cover almost every detail of life from food to ethics to marriage, etc..

But now, after 25 years, I have lost the practice if not the faith. Yes, homosexuality is hardly compatible with the more orthodox dimension of the religion, and coming to terms with being gay has caused tremendous cognitive dissonance within myself, but I cannot live a lie anymore and I will have to deal with the contradictions (as many other gay and orthodox Jews must, and do).

I saw religion as a kind of instruction manual for life, but I realized later that sometimes the manual has to be tossed aside, and that a life has to be created, almost artistically. I realized that this act of creation is perhaps the most appropriate expression of the divine within oneself.

#15 greatwhale, Feb 24, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  16. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    ^This. And for many reasons. :slight_smile:

17. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    l have no issues with the Orthodox set but for obvious reasons they do not endorse male-male relations lol. And have some extreme views relating to the body, otherwise.

lt got to be a bit much when an Orthodox family friend would call us on his cell just to ask us to come turn a light on during shabbat xD

18. Shadow7796

Shadow7796 Guest

I've been raised as a Catholic, but I am now realizing that I am agnostic, which is basically believing that an outside force governs us, but cannot necessarily be acknowledged.

I have always believed in coexisting, even since I was little. For the past few years (once I knew what it was) I have supported LGBT people (before I realized that I am one :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ), as well. We are all just people :slight_smile:

19. Byron

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Agnostic; If I have to chose a religion then I would have to go with Shinto, the decentralized regional version. Simply because it (traditionally) does not try to impose a strict moral code (no concept of Sin).

20. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    [/QUOTE]l have no issues with the Orthodox set but for obvious reasons they do not endorse male-male relations lol. And have some extreme views relating to the body, otherwise.

lt got to be a bit much when an Orthodox family friend would call us on his cell just to ask us to come turn a light on during shabbat xD[/QUOTE]

Could'nt agree more, and besides, that kind of thing was probably "not permissible" LOL