1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

themes you'd like to see in a gay/lesbian romance novel?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thebrightficus, Feb 25, 2013.

1. just wondering, what would REALLY put the icing to the cake in a gay/lesbian novel in your opinion? what themes? what topics, ideas, concepts, etc? what would YOU like to see?

and this goes beyond romance novels too

2. Rivers

Marching band! :grin:

And other geeky pursuits.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Conflict with religion, preferably in an intense way. I've been dying to write a story about gay pages/squires in the 13th century (where church was the central organization in everything), but don't know quite enough about daily life to make it believable. I guess I could just crap it out and call it generic realistic fantasy, but where's the fun in that? Historical accuracy is awesome. Plus, there would be a lot of rivalry and sword fighting. :grin:

#3 Argentwing, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  4. Poetic Star

Poetic Star Guest

A marching band is a great idea! well, in a lesbian novel, it'd be nice if the plot didn't include a vampire or middle-aged teacher for once LOL.
    I prefer gay boy novels (The Vast fields of Ordinary is my ultimate favorite), also A Time Before Me is interesting because it's set in 1991 New Orleans. But I think another interesting theme could be homelessness, maybe 1950s setting and the whole Grease thing but with two boys would be cool :wink: there's just so much you can do, why settle for the cliche?

5. BornInTexas

I love it when a bigger man saves a little guy. I read short stories about that kind of crap all the time. Especially when the little guy is sensitive. I'm not sure what attracts me to that, but I wish there were books revolved around that in a way.

I've had the fantasy in my head, but I never wrote it down. A squire and a knight romance in the fourteenth century, as someone said above me.

6. Dragons.

So, I guess what I'm saying is less romance and more fantasy LGBT novels.

7. Alexander69

Some thing to do with a tropical hot enviroment. Palm trees and things :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 25th Feb 2013 at 07:49 PM ----------

PiƱa coladas and coconuts, white sandy beaches, bright blue water.

8. ioden

Civil conflicts. Like if a gay/lesbian couple make an state or country allow gay marriage and adoption. And they make a whole legal battle and organize a movement, stuff like that. Or maybe a historical fiction novel. Maybe a gay/lesbian couple who survived the Holocaust or things like that would be cool.

I've read some gay/lesbian stories and they focus a lot on the romance part. I'd like social issues to be the main subject in gay/lesbian novels.

9. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Make a cheesy, run-of-the-mill story about a slightly masculine, blockheaded, extroverted girl who falls in love with a feminine, shy and intelligent classmate. Maybe they don't fall in love/ever become a couple while they were younger, but end up running into each other later on in life after they've grown up and went their separate ways, and end up pursing a relationship together.

I think I've read too much fanfiction about a certain show. Cough.

I'd also enjoy reading something about a lesbian couple in combat overseas, in the Navy or what have you. The fact that they have to keep their relationship private ('don't ask don't tell'), and just to be an ass, have one of them die out in the field. Or play it cliche and have them return home safely. Or incorporate the effects of PTSD in one of them and how it slowly detriments their relationship. It'd spark some controversy, I'm sure.

#9 Oddish, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
  10. effyou

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Zombie Apocalypse

11. BornInTexas

Hell to the yes. I want to see this.

12. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Coming out gone wrong. Not everyone comes from a perfect home where everyone they know accepts them.

13. BornInTexas

There are a lot of stories online about that. It's actually a lot more common in short stories than novels. From what I have read, at least.

14. Robellious

I'l love to read a novel where a straight guy that has a girlfriend, and maybe a jock.. fell in love with a Artistic, Rebellious guy...

15. ioden

Or maybe about someone who is quite unsure of his sexual orientation, comes out as gay/lesbian/etc, but later in life realizes with certainty that s/he's straight, and it was really just a phase. But it's too late to make people think otherwise. So, just as there are LGBTI people who question their sexual orientation, there's also straight people who question their sexual orientation.

This thread make my ideas flow xD

What about a world where straight people are a minority and suffer discrimination, hatred, etc, and LGBTIQQetc are the vast majority and also the dominant cultural and political influence in this world? And then make a whole epic novel about the straight people's fight for respect, equality and tolerance, and the LGBTIetc people struggling with their own prejudice and hatred. It may sound as an anti-gay/les/etc story, but it can be written in way straight people understand how hard is to suffer prejudice, hatred and discrimination.

#15 ioden, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  16. FemCasanova

Hm, Django Unchained would have been so much cooler, if the guy was replaced with a femine lesbian, on a mission to save her GF :wink: More girlpower, less the chick being a helpless little victim (the feminist in me isn`t outspoken, but sometimes even she gets a bit pissed off) and more lesbian power :grin:

Other than that, I would love a Zombie Apocalypse where LGBT characters has to survive, and stick together. Imagining a sort of LGBT organization meeting, then the ZA breaks out, and they all have to flee and find a safe refuge together. That would be a story I would love, if they got the characters interesting!

17. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

Great topic!

I'd be happy with a nice upbeat romantic film, no death, depression, suicide, self hating dribble they all seem to have.

18. jp16

Romantic-comedy! kinda like chick flick in a novel but gay version.