1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook Groups

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BudderMC, Feb 25, 2013.

1. BudderMC

Quick question: if you join a Facebook group (like one where the admins need to approve it before you're allowed in), does it show up on other people's newsfeeds or something? Is there an easy way to check this? I really hate timeline...

[/facebooknoob]

2. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

I'm fairly certain people aren't able to see the groups other people belong to.

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It depends what kind of group it is. If it is a secret or private group, then others cannot see it.

4. photoguy93

It has to be secret. Private might even come up.

The best bet with Facebook is that if you are worried about someone seeing something, don't do it!

5. BudderMC

I'm pretty sure it's public. The group in question is my school's LGBT group, because I had to find someone to cover my volunteer shift tomorrow.

I don't care if people see it, I was more just curious if this was gonna out me at all.

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Here are the three categories for fb groups.

The only thing is the fb is a weird animal so if you are worried about being outed, which it sounds like you aren't, then you have to be very careful. Not long ago FB had this issue were people were being added back to old groups they had joined in the past, which resulted in a lot of drama, hurt feelings and some people were also outed in the process.

It says that it might show other friends when you join the closed group, but it won't show the content of the post.

If you have any doubts, you can also get a friend to test all the security measures with you. That's what I did back when I had to be careful about FB.

#6 TheEdend, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2013
  7. The username

I'm pretty certain joined a public group about a week ago and nothing showed up on my feed.