1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jehovah's witnesses to homosexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by crimsonarcher, Mar 15, 2008.

1. crimsonarcher

I was wondering, ever since i read the newest thread about being catholic and gay, and since half my family memebers are Jehovah's witnesses- How do the feel about it? I'm afarid to ask a real person, so i'm asking on here.

2. I think someone said elsewhere that they're a sect that's very very against it.

3. pwnorton

Yay! I can't wait until the next time they come to my door!:lol:

4. Alexander

5. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Jehovah witnesses are one of the religions that hates the gay community the most.
    Funny that my 3 jehovah witness classmates acted as gay people.

6. STK

STK Guest

Yeah, stay AWAY from the JEE-HOVS.

7. JWAD

JWAD Guest

last time a jehovah's witness came to my door I opened it said, "I'm gay" and shut it again, they left me alone and aint come back since

8. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    There is a JW that comes to my door frequently that I swear is a closet-case. My son said the same thing. I am nice to the JW's but I do tell them how I believe. :slight_smile: They usually say thank you and leave.

9. Lane

I was raised as a Jenovah's Witness, currently nearly all of my family on both my mothers and fathers side including my parents and siblings are all active JW's. Basically they belive that Homosexuality is an unnatural thing, that exists contrary to the normal order of how mankind was created this being a man and woman union and nothing else, period.

They as a group do not necessarily hate Homosexuals, but they don't embrace them either. In fact somone who is known to be Homosexual can be among their church, but only if they first come to an 'accurate knowledge' and belive that homosexuality is wrong and then they must take a vow celebacy or in some cases they have been encouraged to get married to somone of the opposite sex. Even if the Homosexual person is accepted into the church they are often still treated differently as the other church members will sometimes be somewhat paranoid of that person in their presence, and treat them with something resembling more of a mild neglect than outright hostility.

If the person who is Homosexual and is a baptized member of the church does decide to go against the teachings and embrace his/her orientation again or even for the first time and the church elders hear of it, then that person will be given a chance to repent or they will be cast out of the church completely. At this point all those in the church both locally and anywhere that person goes is to stay clear of associating with them at all ever. Church members who go against this can they themselves be cast out for associating with a previous cast out member. The only exception to this is with imediate family, they may if they choose still associate to a point with their family member who has been removed from the church. Some do, some don't.

Just to be clear though, this punishment is also held in affect for those who marry outside the church, those who commit adultery, those who have sexual relations out of wedlock, those who preach contrary things to what the church preaches, as well as acting on your homosexual orientation. JW's have a very strict moral code, if you as person wish to be one of them you must live up to this code or be thrown out. They see things in a very black and white way, it is either good or bad and there is no in between.

Hope this sheds a bit more light on their views. If anyone has further questions feel free to PM me.

10. Quitex

Quitex Guest

O_O
    So you should add "All Jehovah witnesses in my town" to your out list... Oh, wait.... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Jeimuzu

There's a guy on *** who runs a site for LGBT former or current Jehovah's witnesses. http://www.gayxjw.org/

12. Psych!

Psych! Guest

Speaking from my experience, Jehovah's Witnesses detest the gay community. They are one of the most homophobic religions. :frowning2:

13. JWAD

JWAD Guest

They kinda allready are, I'm out to everyone I know, apart from JW i don't typically just shout it at people when we first meet tho, lol

14. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

That's an excellent website. I'll add it to the resources section here. Thanks.

15. an0nchick

This is totally true. I just got baptized and I'm still struggling....:bang:

16. MixedNutz

Was born into the religion. My whole family is still part. I struggled and struggled up until about 4 years ago. I moved out and stopped going. I've told a few family members (my sister and cousin) who have also drifted away and they are in full support of me. I however have yet to tell my parents, I know that is going to be a less them positive reaction.

What I've always always taken issue with is how parents can disown and cut off there own children for something I believe they were born with. I don't think most people understand how hard a vow of celibacy is.

I was baptized at 17 and still to this day I wish I hadn't been.

17. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I thought that JWs were required to shun gay people... Is that no longer true, or am I just operating under a misconception?

18. MixedNutz

It is one of those "hate the sin, not the sinner"

You can be gay and not be shunned IF you choose not to have any type of relationship, physical interaction with another gay person.

If you do that, you will not be shunned.

If you do, you can be excommunicated and therefore shunned

19. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I love Jehovah's Witnesses. They make me feel better about myself.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So basically, yes?