1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else here get, or used to get, migraines?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BornInTexas, Feb 25, 2013.

1. BornInTexas

I got a migraine today. Possibly triggered by the sudden change in weather, from partly cloudy to severe thunder storms in less than one hour. I lied in bed after taking 2 pain pills and placing a wet rag over my face. The room was dark, and the rain and thunder sort of was white noise to help me sleep for SEVEN HOURS. :grin:

So, I was just wondering if anyone else gets them?

2. Zaio

Zaio Guest

I don't get them usually, I've had them a few times in my life though.

One thing I'll mention, you shouldn't take painkillers for migraines. They aren't a headache and so shouldn't be treated as such, painkillers can actually increase the duration of the migraine which makes it more likely to develop into a status migrainosus.

All the best.

3. BornInTexas

I've never heard of that. Nor have I experienced it. Most of the time when I have a migraine, I am sleeping. Maybe the medicine knocks me out. I don't know. When I was in fifth grade, I had a migraine for a week. Constantly, I went home to sleep. So, if it does extend duration, I am asleep when it happens.

4. Zaio

Zaio Guest

Well you don't want it to extend duration ever. When you have a status migrainosus (migraine for 72+ hours) you can develop a white spot on your brain. The white spots themselves are harmless, but there has been a correlation between white spots and chances of getting a stroke. This is why you should go to the doctors if you have a status migrainosus.

All the best.

5. Gen

Gen

Oh, ritualistically. Headaches in general are a near daily experience for me. But that is a long story.

Though I disagree that you should not take painkillers with a mirgaine. Now, if you do have headache and take medication and the pain continues after it has worn off than I would refrain from taking medication again. Painkillers in general should be taken as rarely as possible, because overtime the body will grow resistant to many of the substances in the average over the counter drug. Though if you feel overwhelmed you should be perfectly fine with taking medication.

6. OMGWTFBBQ

Out Status:
    A few people
    yes. The weather can bring them on too. Usually rain.

l get the aura, mostly. with a dull headache. it makes me really spaced out and l get a manic like high. Followed by a week of impaired speech and short term memory lol.

if you get aura NSAIDS will actually stop it by shrinking your optic blood vessels.

#6 OMGWTFBBQ, Feb 25, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  7. BiWidow

I have had migraines since I was 2 years old. In childhood, I spent week at a time in hospital for migraine/vomiting episodes. I would either get Demerol/Gravol or Dehyroergotamine (sp?) /chlorpromazine. In adulthood, I still get migraines but not as frequently and don't require hospitalization. The weather is a big trigger for me. Snow storms, rain storms and high winds drive me up the wall. I also get migraine-related vertigo which is also a real pain. To treat the Vertigo, I take Gravol.

8. kikudog6

Yup, pretty often too. I've had them since I was around 8, but luckily I haven't needed any hospitalization for them! But sometimes they get so bad I feel like I should, just so they can shoot me up with some morphine or something XD

9. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you get constant migraines, be careful not to use pain killers too often (anti-inflammatory medication is alright though, like Ibuprofen). Pain-killers have been found to be addictive, specifically causing rebound headaches from over-use. If you've gotten into regularly taking pain-killers, you should work with a doctor to stop their use/wean off them, as they may be causing the headaches (not upon taking them, but because they cause brain changes that increase the intensity and frequency of migraines).