1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"that's so gay"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JWAD, Mar 15, 2008.

1. JWAD

JWAD Guest

Is it just me or do other people get slightly offended when you here people insulting either people or objects by calling them gay, I don't mind if they're talking about me but when they stereotype something as being, for example, a 'gay' film I get really irritated.

2. NathanHaleFan

Yes, I get really irritated. I usually reply asking, "Well, how can such and such be homosexual? It's an inanimate object."

3. JWAD

JWAD Guest

well at least its not just me, I useually end up saying something stupid like, "there's nothing gay about it, i would know if there was"

4. Alabastair

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    When people call things gay, I say 'its not gay, its just really lame/stupid/etc.'

It gets under my skin when people call each other gay and things they don't like gay. It makes me want to kick something (or someone :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:).

5. Nibbles

Nibbles Guest

I'm finding myself a lot less tollerant of that now :dry: When I came out I kinda said I didn't mind if they said it, but it is wearing on me :icon_sad: I always thought that the fact that the were comfrotable enough with me showed they weren't homophobic, so therefore they could say whatever they liked.

BUT I do double-take when they say it and the weird thing is they say "we really should stop saying that in front of you" and I kinda think they shouldn't have to stop just cos of me - they should stop cos it's completely inappropriate, regardless of whether I'm there or not :icon_sad:

Though I have another problem, one friend is really bothering me, he has implied that a) my gay uncle is "dodgy" and b) (after JK Rowling 'outed' Dumbledore) that gay people shouldn't be allowed near children, his words were "I can't believe they let someone like that be in charge of a school". Neadless to say I argued the case in both situations, but he laughed it off as a joke :bang:

6. Tim

Tim

It irritates me, but I also grew up around it, so I'm used to it, when I'm at family friends house I have to put up with gay jokes, even though they know I'm gay now, the only thing they don't joke about is mental illnesses, as their son has autism.

7. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I used to not be bothered by it, but now it really gets on my nerves. I'll sometimes chastise one of my friends if they use they term, but most of them never use it at all or use it so rarely that, when they do use it, I don't mind.

8. Bevo

Bevo Guest

It happens a lot at my school and its really widespread..i find it soo irritating and i flinch everytime some one says it in conversation. :dry:

9. waitingsucks

Yeah It doesn't mean it's actually homosexual in my community/at my school. Yeah I also flinch or cringe when I hear it. I think to myself "Why is gay associated with bad?"

My sister says it a lot more than anyone else I know so that sucks

Anyway some gay people actually use it. My gay friend said that after he came out, when he said "that's pretty gay" everyone was silent. lol

so ppl obviously know that it's not nice

10. Quitex

Quitex Guest

This is how I react:

Someone: "that's so gay".
    Me: "No, that's soooo straight".

They get the point :wink:

11. sexyalex

:grin: :lol: :roflmao: :eusa_clap (!) that was an awesome one. i GOT to try it sometime!(*hug*)

12. STK

STK Guest

I confess, I say it sometimes. Like I'll use it to mean overly cheesy/corny to the point of annoyingness. Example: the song We Can from Sonic Heroes.

13. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's very annoying that they're using the word gay to mean stupid, at least that's what I get when I hear it. People should be more mature than to say that. I get annoyed a little but barely do anything about it unless it's someone close to me.

14. Jace

Yeah when people say that around me I usually go like "hey! What did you say!?" and they're like "oh, sorry..." cause at my school I'm out as "bi" and everyone knows I'm a gay rights activist or what ever

Sometimes I sic Margaret on them, she's the other activist and she usually goes all hardcore on they asses! Lmao its quite funny.

15. SamAlex728

my brother does that all the time i want to snap his neck anyways but when he does that...
    :***: :***: :***: :angry: :angry: :angry: :***: :***: :***: :angry: :angry: :angry:

16. CrimsonThunder

I say it alot and so do my friends. Doesn't really bother me.

17. Geist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It doesn't bother me too much personally. Although i did tell my brother to stop using it as an insult, and now he is mad at me because apparently i have just greatly stunted his arsenal of insults and witty comebacks.

18. JWAD

JWAD Guest

lol, I get angry at it bu my friend Nikki (she's straight but a huge equality supporter for everything) She useually goes nuts and starts rampaiging on about how they never say, "That's so straight." or something along those lines. Hey maybe we should start using that as an insult lol.

19. interstella

I hate it when my homophobic friend says that. when I ask him why he used that word (he knows about me being gay) he says "its a general insult" which REALLY pisses me off :frowning2:

20. mcrteenagers

It really doesn't bother me. To me it has a whole different meaning. I still find myself saying it sometimes.

I don't see it as a bashful term to homosexuals - I find its just like saying, "Thats so stupid."

-----

How many of you say, "Thats so retarded."?
    Do you mean it as in you are literally referring to a mentally handicapped person?