1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What was the last book you read?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LoveMusicPoetry, Feb 27, 2013.

1. LoveMusicPoetry

What was the last book you read? The last book I read was 'Answering Back', which is an anthology of poetry compiled by Carol Anne Duffy. The last novel I read, well re-read was 'Nights At The Circus' by Angela Carter. The last novel I read for the first time was either 'Schindler's Ark', by Thomas Keneally, or 'The Daughters of Mars' by the same author. It was a while ago and I can't remember what order I read them in, both good books though.:slight_smile:

2. ohthecuriousity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Small Damages by Beth Kephart, still reading.

3. silkfrog1292

Actual last book I read: Comparative Corporate Law: United States, European Union, China and Japan

Last book I read for pleasure: Will Grayson, Will Grayson by John Green and David Levithan

4. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Fool's Fate by Robin Hobbe. Conclusion of a trilogy called "The Tawney Man Trilogy", which was sort of the late "sequel trilogy" to the "Farseer Trilogy". I've re-read it several times, this is probably the third or fourth.

Excellent medieval-fantasy book. Hobbe writes powerfully realistic characters, the world she creates really comes alive. Think Game of Thrones crossed with Lord of the Rings. It has that soft fantasy feel of LotR, but with the grit of Game of Thrones (lots of tragedy, characters are multi-dimensional). Less boobage than GoT too xD.

This book is notable to me, as interestingly it awakened the gay side of me. Not in a sexual way, but one of the secondary characters, the Fool, is a mysterious, gender-ambiguous (for most of the series, he's assumed to be male, but he questions that several times, and acts ambiguous) bisexual, who is in love with the main (straight) male character Fitz. It's very unintrusive, and sort of tragic since especially in the second series, his feelings for Fitz are clear, though he is forced to accept that Fitz can't feel the same for him. Trust me, it's very real feeling and not in the slightest bit cheesy. So what was interesting about this is that when I first read it about two years ago, I suddenly realized something about bisexuality/homosexuality; I understood what it was like to love another member of your gender. It sounds odd, but I had never really thought about that aspect of being bi/gay. Prior, I had always accepted I was attracted to both genders, but I never thought of a guy in a romantic light, or pictured myself being in a serious relationship with one. I come from a very progressive family, so it wasn't that I had been taught being gay was bad, it just seems that society never really looks at the loving aspect of being gay. It's always about the sex.

So being touched by this characters plight, I suddenly knew what it was to love another guy. It's not that I loved the character or anything weird like that, but I could put myself in the Fool's shoes and understand those feelings.

About a year and a half later, I met a guy who turned out to be my first real love. This book definitely set me on the road to becoming fully aware of my bisexuality.

As for the story itself, it's very good. It's basically following the life of the bastard son of a king-in-waiting (Prince in line for the throne), and his training as a tool for the royalty. It's set in a medieval world, with some interesting magic systems (no spells, but those with the blood of the Farseer line have the ability to use a power known as "The Skill", which allows them to look into the minds of others, make "suggestions", etc. It's sort of like telepathic hypnosis, it's not uber-powerful, but can be used cleverly). The best part is definitely the characters, they feel so alive, so believable.

6. therunawaybff

Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion.

7. Elicitra

Sailor Song - Ken Kesey.

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My last book was on my Kindle it was De Profundis by Oscar Wilde, it got a bit to religious for me towards the end & I gave up reading it, or should I say being read to me Lol

9. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

The last book I read was The Picture of Dorian Gray. It was okay, albeit kind of boring. Right now I'm reading the King James translation of The Book of Lamentations of The Old Testament. I'm not a Christian, but man do I love their Bible.

10. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The Great Gatsby for school, awesome book

11. castle walls

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky. I absolutely loved it

12. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The Movies supposed to be quite good as well, so I was told :slight_smile:

13. thegaymer

The Grapes of Wrath. It was the worst book ever and it made no sense at all.

14. Odahingum

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The People's Act of Love by James Meek, and now reading Le Jardin de Badalpour by Kenizé Mourad.

15. ZanedaKitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Simon Green The Good The Bad the Uncanny. I like it, I may get the whole series

16. DMack

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    The Walking Dead: Rise of the Governor

17. Thieves

Thieves Guest

Out Status:
    A few people
    East of Eden, by John Steinbeck. Spectacular book, very detailed and nuanced.

18. aSociopath

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Enders shadow by orsen scott card basically a retelling of my favorite book enders gameand this is great

19. wilted

A part of Arizona where it actually snows!
    Snow Falls by Gerri Hill. It's a wonderful novel about a woman realizing that she is a lesbian.

20. ioden

Valley of the Dolls - Jacqueline Susann. I thought I would be shocked and impressed, but all the jet set news have numbed me to the character's ordeals in the world of fame. It's still a very good and somber critique of womanhood, although it's not usually seen that way.