1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When would you be suspicious?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mlpguy88, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Throwing out a hypothetical situation to get some perspective.

Imagine you were a parent and your child doesn't show much interest in the opposite sex, at what age would your child have to be before you start thinking that they are at least different?

2. silkfrog1292

In terms of simply being "different", i would say i will be suspicious from about 5-6.
    However, for this suspicion to be steered to the realm of sexuality, i'll say i won't get suspicious until he/she hits puberty. Before puberty i'll simply assume he/she has low social skills or is awkward

3. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I meant sexuality, not just being awkward

4. silkfrog1292

If that's the case then I would have no reason to suspect until they reach puberty. While some evidence shows that orientation may manifest itself at an early age, I don't believe the child will know for sure until they reach puberty and start to learn more about themselves and who they're attracted to.

5. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So odds are this has crossed my parents' mind at some point

6. prism

It depends on the person. My mother suspected my older siblings at a very young age (~3-8), but she was surprised when I came out at 21.

7. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Bump.

Sorry this is still on my mind so I was hoping for some more opinions. Just the fact that I'm 22 and never had a relationship really makes me wonder if my parents would be suspicious of me.

If you were a parent would you be?

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

If a parent is in denial, then they will make every excuse to not see what is right in front of them.

In my family, we have one uncle that never got married or dated girls, yet it was never stated that he was gay. When the family talked about him they would just say "maybe" for some reason, but everyone knew the truth. For some reason it just because that thing that people knew, but never talked about.

The older you get without a relationship or at least showing some interest in girls then, for the most part, the more people will suspect of you.

9. theMaverick

I'm not a parent, but I have many young cousins and nephews. I would probably become suspicious around the time they hit puberty. For me, that's when it all changed. I wasn't one of those who knew I was anything but straight when I was 3 or something. That being said, I plan on making sure my someday children know that no matter who they love, I will love them regardless.

10. You have to know the parents to be able to tell. I personally couldn't care less, unless the child seemed to having issues because of it. So I wouldn't be 'suspicious', I'd just be concerned if they seemed down.

11. falsereading

falsereading Guest

I'm 26 and never had a relationship, my parents have never asked me about the subject so I draw one conclusion - they knew years ago and probably know I will tell them when I am good and ready.

12. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think the Mother always knows deep down :slight_smile:

13. therunawaybff

It depends on the kid, really. I don't think my parents have any idea, since I don't display any mannerisms that are less than straight.

Well, other than the whole having sex with a dude part.

14. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldn't really be suspicious if I thought my child was naturally independent/introverted. I was always able to enjoy being single (that has nothing to do with orientation despite the fact I'm also LGBTQ lol) or that they were picky about relationships and hadn't found the right one (also me lol).

However, if it seemed like my late teen/young adult son/daughter was depressed over never having a partner or dating in time I would start getting the feeling they may be LGBTQ. I would probably drop some not too subtle hints too LoL

My mom knew I was LGBTQ at age 10 though...
    :eek:

15. NoPlanB

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My mom finally asked me why I didn't like girls when I was 17. I'm not out to her, but she knows.

16. Kay

Kay Guest

I might wonder sometime around 15 if there had been no interest in the opposite sex. Hugs

17. BornInTexas

I was asked why I didn't have a girlfriend. I suspect she knows because she caught me playing dress up with her bra when I was about seven. LOL.

18. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well in that case I am completely in the open. Do you know how many times my sister put me in a dress. There is plenty of photographic evidence of it too.

19. Naren

Since we're LGBT we would have a higher awareness of it than non-LBGT/LGBT-friendly people. That skews the perspective.

20. Convoy

Yeah I think my mother thinks I'm just sleeping around with some girls and I don't want to talk about it.
    They're not girls :icon_wink. She really is pretty clueless when it comes to LGBT issues and everything.

I don't know, I would have had relevant conversations with said child when around puberty or show cause for concern before hand so I really wouldn't be be concerned about them hiding anything from me.

That said if they haven't mentioned anything about the opposite sex by 12-14 or so, it would be pretty safe to converse over that (If anything for preventing risky behavior).