1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do we truly know and understand the LGBT community?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by skiff, Feb 28, 2013.

1. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Yesterday a straight mom posted about her gay 16 year old son who came out to her (kudos to his courage and a changing world). She wanted help in regards to her son not being ready to tell a potentially non receptive father. I replied about how in general society at large does not understand altered sexual preference. This got me thinking about us as a group. Do we truly understand?

In general we are are a closed community regardless of our openness.

I know growing up in the 70's you could not readily reach out to the gay community primarily due to fear of rejection by friends, family and society. It has eased but the situation still exists. I read the postings of teens here and it brings back memories.

But even as late as the 90's I had little understanding of the LGBT community. I had so little information I married a wonderful woman in search of the relationship I craved because I had no clue there were gay men like me seeking the same.

Even as a gay man I fell into the ignorance of the gay stereotype that the straight community falls into.

If you want to say I am a coward or stupid that may be true but in hindsight I fell into the ignorance trap of a community I belong to.

I now know other men like me thanks to EC and the ignorance has lifted, but that just reveals a whole new set of problems brought on by being gay married with children.

How deep is the ignorance of our own community? Do 8 out of 10 LGBT live in ignorance and pain? Some other ratio?

I know I am 54 and for all those years I lived in ignorance there were others like me.

Stuck

2. therunawaybff

I would never call you that bud, but if it applies to you it applies to me. And I don't have the excuse of being from an earlier time either.

Speaking from personal experience, for the longest time (preschool to high school) I didn't know about queers outside of what I learned about them in church and at my daddy's knee - where they didn't have any name but faggot - and I didn't care to know them. I was taught to stay away from them so I did.

So when I fell in love with another guy in college, it really, really, really messed with my head. I had absolutely no frame of reference, because I had never even been in contact with an openly gay person at that point in my life (and still wasn't since me and Nick were both closeted). I never expected to be put in that position, I always assumed I would just date a girl at school, get married and have kids like everybody else. For years I went around thinking it was MASSIVELY unfair that I wasn't straight, that I couldn't feel for a girl the same way I felt for him. I even told him lying in bed at one point (only semi-jokingly), "Why can't you be a woman?" Now that was a massively unfair thing to say.

I don't know, but it's kind of depressing sometimes to see lil kids here talking about being openly gay in their early teens and dating in high school, where at my high school they wouldn't have dared and the only two openly gay guys (femme and couldn't hide it) were open season.

I'd like to say I stepped up and played the white knight whenever I saw those two getting theirs, but that would make me out to be a better and braver person than I actually am.

I didn't really participate, but I didn't stop it either.

3. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. We have all been brought up to thing of lgbt as minority groups, with parents hoping we would be straight and 'normal', even if they want that for our own sakes.

The most liberal of teachers feel awkward discussing such matters. I think the change can only really happen when we stop referring to a gay 'community', it makes us sound separated. We are a big part of most communities :slight_smile:

4. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sadly, "faggot" or related words are the strongest of terms for a male being put down. When guys want to literally "nuke" the opposition that is the term dragged out. It denotes total "loathing" far beyond anything related to sexuality. But it does have its roots in sexuality.

If the majority of us live in ignorance how can we educate greater society?

I fear the spectacle of a gay pride parade only reinforces a stereotype.

I suspect a gay day in a large city where every LGBT wore the same shirt and society learned we are everywhere under their noses it would be far better. I can hear the conversations now; "Luke I respect you, you aren't gay, why you wearing that shirt?", reply "who says I am not gay?". Making it personal and not a stereotypical spectacle would be far better in my opinion.

Stuck

5. BudderMC

The thing with stereotypes though is that you can't break the stereotypes you hold unless you want to break them, and even then it's not easy. So if we're talking about hardcore bigoted people who will hate us for being stereotypical, it doesn't matter how nonstereotypical we are, they'll still hate us for it.

At the very least, a super gay pride parade that's raging with stereotypical gays will get the attention of a lot of people since most people associate that flamboyant behaviour with "gay people".

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

The tricky part about being LGBT is that our "culture" and history isn't passed along by family members or friends. For an LGBT person to get that knowledge about the culture and the history they must consciously strive to obtain the information themselves and finding people they can rely on, which is hard if you don't want to be LGBT in the first place. That is where the internet has been an amazing tool for LGBT people.

With every single minority, there will always be two main sides to the mainstream. One side will always want to assimilate and the other side has a more pluralistic view. Of course there are people in between since nothing is black and white, and some people have completely different views, but those are the two "mainstream" views.

You can never run from having a stereotype. Every group will always have a stereotype and someone will always hate something about that stereotype. Can you think of one single group that doesn't have a negative stereotype? Or maybe one single group that isn't hated by another group?

The problem with homophobia isn't the stereotype. Gay people have been hated for centuries, yet the pride parades have only been around for less than 50 years. What gives?

As for how to educate people? That's a hard question to answer for many reasons.

The first one is who and how are we going to choose our educators? Who would be in charge of educating the new gay generation? What will we teach them? Will you teach them to assimilate or will you teach them a more pluralistic view?

Its definitely a hard question to answer, but for now everyone is both responsible for their own education about the topic and to try and help with what they can.

7. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am Jewish and Gay - a nazi nightmare.

By now I am used to stereotypes about being a Jew and have definitely experienced the many ways that it affects my relationship with non-jews. Actually the more overt incidents are easier to deal with than the more covert ones, I'm thinking of a particular boss of mine for example.

It's true, we can't avoid stereotypes even if we are the most unassuming "normal" person out there, it doesn't matter, the label gets stuck on with industrial-grade glue.

So how to deal with it? I always thought that seizing a pejorative and transforming it (i.e the word "Queer") was an excellent strategy. Other than that, the more we are open, the more mainstream it becomes, gay pride parades don't have to be only about flamboyance if there are also a good number of less-flamboyant types there too! I think it's a matter of time, there is no quick-fix.

And yes, like what is happening in Russia with the imminent passing of legislation prohibiting "gay propaganda" there will be no end to the hatred. The trick is to know deeply who you are, what community you belong to (yes, there is a community and there always will be, and God knows we need each other!) and we need to get very clear in our own heads why it is important to let others know who we are and that we will not disappear.

#7 greatwhale, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  8. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I suspect (and I apologize for "flamboyant" up front) there are far fewer "flamboyant" LGBT than non-flamboyant. It is well understood in various fields that 20% of inputs results in 80% of the outcomes.

With that in mind, and if the 80/20 rule holds only two in ten of the LGBT community fit the societal stereotypes.

This keeps keeps changing the stereotype down trodden, no?

[​IMG]

Nothing wrong with being flamboyant but should it drive the stereotype for all?

It is the silent majority that is allowing what goes on by remaining silent.

Yes, I am blaming myself for not helping to change the stereotype.

#8 skiff, Feb 28, 2013
  9. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Nope, but flamboyant people didn't choose to represent a whole group of people. They were just being themselves, doing what they know how to do and being awesome, and the media chose to use certain people to represent a whole community. That's what sells and its a way simpler way to tackle the whole gay thing for many people.

The same applies to every group, but the LGBT group get hit with it harder since you can only be LGBT if you identify yourself as LGBT. That means that if you are a "discrete" LGBT person, then you are going to be read as straight and not as "oh, that's a discrete LGBT person". The only way you can do that is by self-identifying as LGBT first, which many already feel its "flaunting it" and then being yourself.

This is the main reason why most people only know about gay parades, because its easy to say "oh, there is the gay people", but even then if you go to most parades you will see people that really aren't being all that flamboyant themselves.

Why do you want to change the stereotype so much?

10. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To build on greatwhale's comments how would things have been different for the Jews if the German silent majority had spoken against the Nazi's?

---------- Post added 28th Feb 2013 at 08:06 AM ----------

Hi,

If a stereotype only fits two in ten that means the stereotype is wrong to a greater degree.

Imagine how the current stereotype impacts the young teen with sexuality issues being hit over the head with a stereotype/s that don 't fit, and they slide into the closet for years of suffering.

I would like to end that.

#10 skiff, Feb 28, 2013
  11. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Ah, I get that :slight_smile:

Food for thought just because I find this topic interesting.

People don't go into the closet because they don't fit a certain stereotype, they go into the closet because they fear the hate that comes with the stereotype. Which means it would be better to focus on taking the hate from the stereotype, and not the stereotype itself.

For example, if you take the "flamboyant" stereotype away, but the same hate towards gay people remain, then it will just get replaced by another excuse that people will use to discriminate. If its not a mental disorder, then its because they are pedophiles. If its not because they are pedophiles, then its because they were abused when they were children. If it isn't abuse, then its the media. If it isn't the media, then its their morals and lack of religion. And the excuses just pile on.

But, once you get the hate out of people, then any negative stereotype that people may have won't really matter. If a gay kid in the closet knows that even flamboyant gay people don't get discriminated against, then they will have an even easier time coming out.

12. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

When the stereotype goes the hate goes too.

When the LGBT turns out your neighbor, your coworker, your friend, your relative, your child there is no room for hate.

What keeps the hate is us staying invisible. If we all came out simultaneously you would hear the largest gasp of realization from society possible.

#12 skiff, Feb 28, 2013
  13. therunawaybff

Maybe more kids will come out when they don't have to worry about their heads getting kicked in when they do. :dry:

Vicious cycle and all that.

14. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Hate and fear are not logical emotions. You don't just hate someone for logical reason and you certainly don't discriminate and kill them for logical reasons either.

If you are saying that certain stereotypes are keeping us from getting our rights and being accepted, then what was stopping us before the stereotype was form?

Being flamboyant is only a negative stereotype because it is connected with being gay, and not the other way around. Many people have been flamboyant before gay people, and that was never seen as a bad thing until it was connected with gays.

But, back on topic, this is why its so complicated to say that someone must be in charge or educating people. There are so many view points you can get out of this, that there is just no way to teach people everything and from only one point of view.

15. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

Hate is not logical it is primal. It is part of our animal base programming;

Oxytocin Increases Neural Responses to The Suffering of Racial In-group but not Out-group Members

OHBM

As LGBT we are out members.

Logic is what overcomes base animal programming.

You could say people choose to remain closeted to avoid the societal "animal instinct" reaction to anything different. Show a dog something weird and he will show you his teeth and animal oxytocin response.

We count on civilized logic to overcome the oxytocin animal instinct.

It is a very old survival instinct

#15 skiff, Feb 28, 2013
  16. therunawaybff

Are we living in the same species? :lol:

17. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

But wouldn't the logical thing be to stop discriminating people even when they are flamboyant? If you concentrate on taking the stereotype away then you aren't fighting fear and hate with logic, you are just avoiding the hate and fear.

And like I said before, even if you take that one stereotype away, people aren't going to stop hating on gay people because people don't hate gay people because they are flamboyant, they hate us because we are gay. As simple as that.

Either way, it seems like we would just have to agree to disagree :slight_smile:

18. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

The 80/20 Rule applies. It is also known as; "the trivial many and the vital few".

As LGBT we know who the trivial many are and who are the vital few.

Logic usage follows the bell shaped curve in society. Some never use it 20%, some use it all the time 20% and a silent majority have mixed usage 60%. That 60% is the silent majority. They can be influenced by either end of the logic spectrum.

Stuck

19. 4ever Hearth

Personally, I always felt that the discrimination of "Flamboyance" of some gay men stems solely from deep-rooted Sexism. I remember doing a light reading on homosexuality in the past and I read at sometime in Italy(I think), if two men were caught or known to have sexual intercourse, The Aggressor(Top) was lightly punished while The Receptor(Bottom) was burned or tortured to death. After reading that, it seemed very obvious that the only reason someone would clearly overeact in giving a punishment to that degree would be insecurity. By that I mean those pricks felt that if a man, blessed with a penis(Their perspective, not mine), was to lay down and allow himself to be penetrated like a woman, he has completely disrespected himself, his family and all fore-fathers that bore his name. My point is also proven when you think back to times when people would ask "So whose the guy and whose the girl?" which basically has evolved into "Whose the pitcher and whose the catcher?" Once said question is answered or if the fact is presumed to be already known, respect is usually given to The Aggressor aka The Alpha. Most of that stems from the backwards idea that Men have "divine" dominion over Women. to sum it up, it's Heteronormativity's way of forcing it's oppressive attitude and beliefs upon anything that isn't it's shadow. Like being open yet close-minded at the same time if you will. Sidenote: I always felt that saying "My relationship is just like your's" shouldn't have been done since im sure we all know that equality doesn't stem from similarity. Equality is only true when Person A can look at Person B and say "You are not like me at all and i'm ok with that."

I think you(Stuck) and TheEdend both are making valuable points. The silent majority does need to speak up for themselves and let it be known that Gay is just as varied as Straight is especially for the sakes of the kids who don't fit the stereotypes and end up neglecting and denouncing the LGBTQ community because of it. And I think Ed's point was that if the silent majority do make themselves heard, lets not make it at the expense of the guys who happen to fit or is very close to the stereotype(s). (&&&)

20. skiff

skiff Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi,

I have no desire to harm anyone who fits a gay stereotype. The only way that could happen is if they take some form of emotional currecy from driving the stereotype.

The only way to be an in-group of society is for society to stop thinking of LGBT as different.

As Irish and Italian immigrants to the US proved once assimilated the negative stereotype evaporates and no longer carries influence.

Just as the Irish and Italian immigrants once elicited the aggressive out-member response of oxytocin from US society that position can change becoming ignored making them accepted in-members.

Stuck

#20 skiff, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013