1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diversity & Acceptance Drawing Ideas

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by KTWK, Feb 28, 2013.

1. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I'm doing a drawing for school. It's going to be about diversity and acceptance, about accepting people for who they are. So I would like ideas of different kinds of diversity to accept. It is not solely focused on LGBT but of course I'll be including them too. So for gay/lesbian couples it's pretty obvious and I have a good idea of how to represent them, but how about trans folk? Any ideas for simple ways I could represent them? I'm kind of stumped, because I feel like the best way to represent them would to be to draw a perfectly normal person in the gender that they're comfortable with, but then who would know it's a trans person in the first place?

Ideas for more types of diversity to represent would be awesome too! So far I just have the obvious (race, religion, gender, and sexuality.)

2. GreenSkies

GreenSkies Guest

How about including people with disabilities?

3. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

You could take a white page and leave it blank using the justification that distinguished symbolism perpetuates mental categorization of these people. That's what I'd do.

4. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Great idea, will definitely do!

The point isn't that we should IGNORE differences, it's that we should acknowledge and respect our diversity.

5. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

Yes, but drawing is a dreadful activity. Especially symbolic drawing. Why not just represent them all as shapes and colors?

Or you could use this.

6. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    [​IMG]

I do like that sign, however. Will incorporate it into the letters!

7. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Isn't that saying that there IS a significant difference between races and so they should be treated as such?

8. BiWidow

Maybe just to represent that we are all human beings, use peace signs. You could write the words instead of symbols. I don't know how to represent this but social classes. Different concepts of family (married hetero couple, single, gay couple...) could be included.

9. You could do a white man, a black man, an Asian, and a Hispanic at an orgy. It would show we can all be good enough for each other and support gay rights.

10. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Perfect idea. I'll just make it a big pansexual interracial orgy. I'm sure the teacher would love it.

11. How about adding colours associated with masculinity and femininity and blurring them somewhere in between to show that how we identify ourselves can change constantly or that everyone can have a mixture of both traits aforementioned

#11 Januarydreaming, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013
  12. KTWK

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    That is a great idea. I'll have blue on one side and pink on the other with some kind of magenta/indigo stuff in the middle.

13. Naren

Mona Lisa? Nobody knows if Mona's male or female.

14. prism

I've always liked this idea:

[​IMG]

15. Adarya

Use colors that seem to contradict each other, but actually support and make the other color stand out (like colors right across from each other on the color wheel). Then blurring, mixing, and shading can all add dimension and show change.

---------- Post added 1st Mar 2013 at 06:23 PM ----------

A great point and idea- somewhat of what I was getting at above