1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Breaking One's word the same as lying?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ZanedaKitty, Feb 28, 2013.

1. ZanedaKitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Basically is it a lie to say you'll do something, then when it is time to act you change your mind and disappoint the person. I'm sure there are case by case rules to see here, but general thoughts on the topic?

2. therunawaybff

It's the same to me.

3. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well I think it's only lying if you have the intention of not keeping your word.

That being said, don't agree to that which you can't follow through on because people generally know what they will or will not do beforehand.

4. ioden

It's lying if the other person doesn't know from you that you've changed your mind and didn't explain why.
    That's why I have troubles making promises, or I do it with a lot of thinking beforehand. 'Cause sometimes you don't have the slighlest idea of what you've got to do to keep it.

#4 ioden, Feb 28, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  5. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

No. Lying is deliberately saying something that you know isn't true. If, when you said you would do something for someone, you intended to fulfill this deed but later didn't because you changed your mind or something prevented fulfillment, then you didn't lie because at the time you told the other person you would, you were convinced what that you said would be true. If however you just told this person that you would do something for them to get them to shut up without any intent at keeping your word, then yes. You lied.

6. Mogget

It's not lying, but it is a breach of trust. I'd say it's generally immoral, but wouldn't classify it as lying.

7. FemCasanova

It is a tough question, because say you promise to take out the garbage, and fully intend to do so, but then you forget/the phone rings/your house starts burning, etc. Then you didn`t lie because at the time you were assuming you would be able to take the trash out, and sometimes things happen which we cannot predict when making a promise. If you give your word that you are going to be there on someone`s special day, but then you are in a car crash, or the boss forces you to work extra hours, then that is not something you knew when making the promise.

So, it depends a lot on the scenario. If say, someone gave their word they wouldn`t reveal a secret, yet does it anyway, then that is completely under their control and it definitely becomes a breach of trust.

8. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I would disagree. Its not immoral to change your mind on any subject as long as you were always being honest.

Lying, like a lot of people already mentioned, is all about the intent of what you are doing. If you are trying to fuck someone over or escape the truth, then whatever you are doing is lying. Changing your mind because you legitimately don't want to continue to go down a certain path isn't lying.

9. FunnyMonkey

To me, it depends on your intent at the time you gave your word.

10. ZanedaKitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I can no longer edit my first post so I'll add this here, as I saw a few interetsing things that I'd like to add.

I saw it mentioned as a Breach of Trust, At what point does it become a breach of trust? How much time in advance is enough to not be a breach of trust before you become "unreliable"

11. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree with what others have said. As long as a person does not enter the agreement with the intent to back out of it, I don't think that it is lying. If the person knew that they were going to break that promise, then to me that is lying.

12. therunawaybff

Oh, I guess I was thinking of it as breaking a promise intentionally. Not by accident.

To me intentionally breaking a promise is the same as lying because you are saying that you are going to do one thing and doing another instead.

13. jp16

No, i think it's more being untrustworthy.

14. It's lying. And untrustworthy. And disappointing. And stupid. And mean.

15. BiWidow

As another poster said, lying would be never intending to do what you said that you would. It might not be the same as lying but it hurts just as much.

16. hello1992

yes, i would say so. You lied about doing something. I think it is more complicated because of the timing dynamics of it. Like you can never completely promise to do something in the future; the future is just too uncertain! But even then, it is still lying, but it is probably less bad than not speaking the truth about a past event!

I'm sure whoever this person that you have lied to will eventually be okay with it...

17. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    By definition, if you say you will do something, then intentionally not do it, you have lied (at least, it's a form of lie). It also tends to be worse, since at least with other kinds of lies, the other person can happily live without knowing any better, but in this case, you told them you'd do something, then chose not to. It's impossible to ignore; it's a direct insult really.

18. Naren

It is essentially the same thing. Don't do it.

19. starfish

Hey I didn't lie, the truth changed.

I had a manager who used to say that all the time. Used to piss me off when he would say that.

20. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The acts are morally equivalent, but they are not the same. You are lying if you are breaking your word and you knew at the time that you would not follow through. You are breaking a promise if you did not know at the time that you would fail to deliver on the promise but you made no alternative arrangements, or unsatisfactory ones in between the time of promising and the expected delivery time with respect to unforeseen circumstances and how they affect your ability or willingness to deliver.

Both are bad, but they are still slightly different. One is lying, and the other is failure of diligence.