1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does the LGBT community feel about gay marriage?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by LoveMusicPoetry, Mar 1, 2013.

1. LoveMusicPoetry

I just wondered: Gay marriage is a pretty hot topic in the UK at the moment and opinion is pretty split among the general population. I'd hazard to say that the majority either don't mind or don't care. From what I have heard of members of the LGBT community, the split is pretty much the same.

I just wondered, is anyone on here against the idea of same sex couples being allowed to marry? I don't mean civil partnerships, I mean propper marriage. I would be interested to hear peoples reasons for their opposition, whether it be on religious grounds or a more general objection. Discuss....

2. Are most gay people for gay marriage? Surprisingly, yes.

3. therunawaybff

Not against it, I think it'd be nice to be allowed to get married.

4. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like it's constitutionally required, and it hurts to be unable to marry.

However, there are things I want before marriage, like a trans*-inclusive ENDA.

5. cm81990

cm81990 Guest

I'm against BOTH straight and gay marriage from a government licensing perspective. The government should stay out of the marriage business. You shouldn't deserve some special recognition by the government for something that is entirely personal like marriage. The government shouldn't be favoring a cultural/social institution.

6. poopie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I agree government stay out of it .

7. I'm for it. It has many benefits which could help people feel some sense of financial stability and confirmation for them and their partner.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For it. It is every bit as much a civil rights issue as desegregation was in the 60's and women's suffrage was before that. Of course it impacts a smaller percentage of the population, but that's what our system of government is about-- majority rule, without oppressing the minority.

9. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with this too. However, if they ARE going to continue to be as manipulative as they always have been, it's only fair and just if everybody gets the same rights based on why this constitution was made, not because of a religious book.

10. Devious Kitty

It for the most part depends on a person's political ideology. Libertarians and others on the right are likely to be against marriage in general, and thus may be against gay marriage.

Personally I don't really think its reasonable to be against gay marriage, especially here where I live in the US. The simple fact is that realistically the institution of marriage isn't going anywhere anytime soon, and the gay marriage controversy isn't about whether or not government should have their hand in marriage or whether marriage should be done away with. It's about equality. You can be against marriage in general but still support gay marriage under the understanding that if we are going to have it, then lets at least not be discriminatory bigots about it.

11. This.

I want trans* inclusivity to all legal protections supposedly afforded to any other citizen of this country.

I don't give a shit about gay marriage until my trans* friends and loved ones are safe, not discriminated against in housing, employment, medical care, etc.

But yes, I do care about being able to get married someday.

12. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    [​IMG]

We have to be careful though. Marriage equality would make Brian Brown cry, and we don't want to make him cry, because then we'd be meanies.

13. Wickgaga

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I wish it was legal for all. I want to get married. It's something I think about more often then I admit.

14. meetmehalfway

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    From a person perspective I'm not particularly interested in getting married. From a fairness and equality point of view, I think the rights and straight and LGBT people regarding marriage should be identical. Separate but equal isn't equal.

15. theypc

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I would at least like the option to marry not just civil partnership.

The government talk about been pro equality but then still refuse us marriage... But at least we are getting somewhere now :slight_smile:

16. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i think that the huge focus on gay marriage like it's the be all & end all of LGBT rights stupid & frankly harmful, not to mention how the focus on it subtly excludes trans* people's issues

17. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

I oppose the legal recognition of marriage, so no I don't support gay marriage.

18. TestingitOut

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I canunderstood why a church would oppose gay marriage on religious grounds and I do not think a religion should be changed just to be more inclusive. However, if a church is using that as an excuse to oppose gay weddings, then I think athiests, interfaith couples, and anyone else who does things that go against that religions teachings should be banned from marriage as well. If marriage is about family, then straight couples should be screened to ensure both are not only fertile, but also desire to have children. If religion is why gays cant be married, then lets ban it for ALL sinners too. Otherwise it just sounds like hipocracy to me.

I think the sanctity of marriage excuse is ridiculous. It seems to me that religious institutions using that excuse should be far less concerned with gays trying to marry, and turn their attention to straights who are trying to divorce.

Basically I think marriage is more of a social secular thing these days, and it should be treated as such and open to anyone who wants it. I would like to get married some day and I was very happy when it was made legal in my state.

19. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

I am Catholic but I still think there is nothing wrong with Gay marriage. As Catholics, we believe that marriage is a union between two people AND God. A man and a woman being joined through a covenant with God. I feel like a man and a man or a woman and a woman should still have that opportunity. It is a beautiful sacrament and I think that a gay/lesbian couple should have the right to experience the beauty of it.

20. Alexander69

I personally don't want to get married but I have nothing against gay marriage. The one thing for me is why do you have to be married to show your love and care for someone? I don't se what all the fuss is about. Straight people take it for granted getting divorced all the time I really think eventually marriage won't even be something people want to do it will disappear. That's just my take on it. I dont need to be married to show my full love for another marriage is just a title to me.