1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Essay Woes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Argentwing, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, I have this English essay. I think the introduction, while lengthy (set up for 5 or 6 page paper) is awesome. However, I just found out today that the due date had been changed to... today. If I were done and emailed it right now, it would get 10 points off.

So now, instead of crafting an artfully written masterpiece :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, I have to crap out a shorter essay (~4 pg. max) that hits all the bullet points and pray the teacher doesn't look too harshly on it.

Somebody tell me that they have due date problems also. I can't deal with this alongside my other classwork, broken-down car (central to 90% of my life garbage atm), work, and chores, and pleasing my gf, which is harder than it should be. Sorry for the rant, but can anybody comiserate? :frowning2:

2. thegaymer

Heh I have a 2 history essays, a history test, and an english project due on Monday. I know its no the same type of problem as you but I don't think I'll be able to do all the projects and study.

3. Gen

Gen

That is very irresponsible for the instructor to move the date up and page limit down so abruptly. I have a six page research paper to do this weekend, but I'm going to be bad and wait till Sunday to start. I love writing though, so I cant usually crank out essays quickly.

But on the life-juggling, I couldnt relate more.

4. Ianthe

Do your best, and then tell the professor that you hadn't realized about the change in the deadline, and if it's possible you would like the opportunity to improve the essay, because you ended up rushing and it is not your best work.

If it's clear that you are making an effort, they usually allow it.

Actually, email the professor right now and attach what you have, along with your explanation.

I always had lots of deadline problems. The most important thing is that you convince the professor that you didn't just blow it off. They usually want to work with you if it's clear that you are trying.

5. Adarya

Sounds a lot like what has happened to me before: cramming in a whole entire essay the night before it's due really sucks, in my experience. I've had a couple where teachers suddenly throw assignments on us expecting them to be done the next day, or move the assignment up without any warning at all. Most of the time I just try to do what I can, but sometimes I just can't bring myself to turn in a hurried essay. I've kept essays/papers because I felt like they were too hurried and weren't written well and have suffered because of it, but I feel like I somewhat have to keep up my reputation of being a good writer (it is what I want to do, after all).

Conclusion is, I know how you're feeling :icon_bigg

6. Ianthe

Again, communicate with your professor. It will make a huge difference in your GPA if you learn just this single, simple lesson.

Most people have times where they can't meet the deadline, or where something happens. Or, for that matter, when their work wasn't quite what it should have been.

The one's who communicate with their professors are usually given the opportunity to fix it, one way or another. The one's who don't end up taking hits in their grades.

Learn to cultivate relationships with your professors.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree that communication is key when it comes to these types of issues. Usually, if you show professors that you are doing the work (and not just blowing it off) they will be willing to work with you a bit.

I find it really weird that a teacher would change a paper that close to the deadline though. I know that the university that I go to has a policy that paper deadlines cannot be made earlier (so, you can't just hack a week off the deadline) and also withen a certain time frame the paper guidelines cannot be changed. So, you may see if your school has a policy like that as well.

8. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    UPDATE: While he didn't move the page limit (it apparently was 4 pages and I was getting carried away lol) the deadline was fudged because we missed a few days of class, and so the syllabus was no longer accurate. It's still my fault for not keeping up on it, though.

It's about 10:30 PM on the due date and I'm almost done, so I should be able to email it to him for only 10% off the normal grade. That I can deal with. :slight_smile: Thanks to whomever read my rant, as earlier today I really was suffering.

#8 Argentwing, Mar 1, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2013
  9. Convoy

I know the feeling, I had a teacher who would mess with due dates and assignments all the time and I ended up getting horrible grades as a result; only those who knew her got the information and the rest of us got screwed.

In the end it's not too bad though, the program got canned after that and now it looks much better but my GPA is still junk. I've had some teachers that were more receptive to it than others, but most of the time it isn't too bad if you make an effort.

Though I just crammed the other day to get in a four or so page essay all night/morning the other day; I've had some teachers just dump a five page essay on me overnight, it really sucks when I don't get any sleep for day since I had plans then. Time management is good, if you can do it :lol:.