1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to Cheer Someone Up

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Adarya, Mar 2, 2013.

1. Adarya

Theatre and singing is my older sister's life. This last week she auditioned for a her school's play: she's been preparing and practicing for it since last summer already and she was confident that she would get a better part this time than in the last two musicals of her high school career. Thing is the cast list went up today and the girl that my sister has always been in the shadow of got the main part that she so desperately wanted, and my sister got an actual "speaking" part, but is mostly in the ensemble. Honestly, the girl that keeps getting the parts is a teacher's pet to the director and the one who picks the cast, and is, in all honesty, rather mean and stuck-up. My sister hates that she's been in her shadow for the last three years (they always gone against each other and my sister has never turned out on top) and my sister easily has her beat in the singing department, even if the other girl has a lot of experience in acting. It is a musical after all, but my sister still didn't get the part and now she's completely down in the dumps. She has no idea how it happened considering she was so confident "she rocked her audition" and she was called back for all three of the major roles (the one she wanted, along with another big two) and now she ended up in practically the ensemble. She hasn't spoken at all since the cast list went up, and I'm worried that this time it might fully break her spirit. I know there isn't much that I can do, but I want to find some sort of way to help my sister cheer up. I need some ideas about how to do it though; it's not like I can make her have the part that she wanted, or change the cast list. She feels like she's completely failed; she's been battling against this girl for the top parts the last three year's and now she's been in the other girl's shadow for her whole entire High School Musical Career. I know that she's trying to be okay about it, but I know that this has hit her hard.

I know her to bounce back after things like this, but I want to try to do something to make her happier/ take her mind off of this other girl that has always taken what she has wanted so much. Some ideas for what to do are circling around in my mind, but I want to know what some of you think about what I should do in this situation. Anyone have any ideas? :dry:

2. Caudex

Caudex Guest

It would help if you told us what her interests are besides theater.

3. Adarya

That's the thing; practically everything she does is theatre, singing, or acting. She doesn't do any sports or other school activities, and the only reason why she works is to get money to pay for voice lessons, theatre fees, and trips that she goes on because of theatre or choir. She's planning to go to college for vocal performance or acting, and her life revolves around her theatre schedule. The only other hobbies or things that I can think of that she likes to do is learning French and taking care of animals.

4. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Hmmm. That's tough, because anything to do with theater would remind her why she's sad. I guess you could try showing her you care. Maybe drive her to the ice cream shop or something. But I don't think there's much you can do to cheer her up if that's all she cares about.

5. cassexy

cassexy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well first we should not trouble them, leave them space, gently find out what is bothering them, try to help them by short talks, then find out the history of the problem and offer solid advice or get advice or help from known people who can help