1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Random Question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Trumpetplyer23, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Trumpetplyer23

Okay, this is just a random question I thought of, there is no true right answer.

You're stranded on a deserted island, there are no trees and it gets so cold at night that if you didn't have a fire to keep you warm you'd freeze, okay? Now, you're stranded there with 2 items, a box of matches and a Holy Bible. You have to burn the Bible to stay warm to stay alive through the night. Do you think God would be angry with you for burning the Bible in this context?

NOTE: If you do not believe in God, pretend you do just for the sake of answering this question.

2. interstella

I don't think He would be angry because He would want me to survive.

3. dreamfinder

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No, i think as long as you read the page that you are gonna burn its all good.

4. sngl

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I don't exactly believe in God, but I don't think he would be angry at me for burning a bible in order to stay alive!! In fact, I think there's a christian teaching which says that you should be able to let go of everything when you have to, meaning that it's no good having objects or things whithout which you think you can't live. So even if I were really religious and I believed in God, it would be perfectly OK to burn a bible to stay alive.

5. Tim

Tim

No. He didn't create the bible you're reading. Man did. For all we know, man added stuff to it that god did not want. That is how I feel. In this case, God knows what's right and wrong. Some text won't matter, he'd much rather you survive. If it's your time, it's your time. If it's not, then you were meant to burn it.

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I don't think he would care. He'd probably pity you if you hesitated to do it.

7. Psychedelic Bookmarks

No, God would want you to do it.

8. John666

John666 Guest

i think he wouldn't care as ur life is already planned out of u(according to the bible) what u do is meant to happen(im a christian)

EDIT: since i think im gay, it means im not a christian cause the bible says dont have a sexual relation with any other man....

9. EthanS

EthanS Guest

Does the bible have an context page?? or the prouction pages? you could always use them

10. Steam Giant

When it comes down to it, you're only burning bleached, pressed wood pulp planes with styled ink on them. I think as long as you don't have malice in your heart during the burning (and God would know), you'll be fine ^^

Of course, I'm kind of an agnothiest :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Quitex

Quitex Guest

God's word ain't a piece of paper, God's word is in your heart. I would burn it for my own survival. At the end there are millions and millions and milions of bibles.

12. Zak

Zak

I'd burn the pages about gays! lol, but yah, i am christian, and I would do anything to survive....well not....yah, anything!

13. NathanHaleFan

Well, Im an atheist, but if I did believe in a god, it would be one that didn't interfere in piddly human stuff. Just think: if a god is powerful enough to create the entire universe, then I think what one member of a billion species on one of a billion planets does is aboslutely insignifigant to such a god.

My $ .02

14. Emile

Emile Guest

I would burn the Bible. And I would not care much because I'm an atheist, lol.

15. justjoshoh

Well since we are talking the Bible, I assume it would be New Testament G-d. NTG is a lot more forgiving that Old Testament G-d. As a matter of fact, I hear all you have to do is confess all of your sins before you die and accept Jesus as your Lord and Savior and NTG lets you off the proverbial hook, as if taking a mulligan in golf. Burn the Bible, of course, it is only going to last so long... then you'll have to move on to your other reads like that Harry Potter series or the latest GQ.

16. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bibles must be sold all over the world. So once you get off that island, you can go and buy a new one!! A bible is only words on a page, just like any other book. You can reproduce them again and again and again. Burning one shouldn't be an issue as long as your motive isn't to burn God Himself.

Not to mention, God wouldn't want you to be killed by His own words, so of course he would want you to burn the bible.

17. DownUnder

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No way - cause obviously it's a sign if he left you stranded there with it in the first place isn't it? I don't know (i must say i don't even believe in god really - though it's complicated)

18. davo-man

Nope, he wouldn't care, since it's not even his words...it other people's interpretations of his words

Now a more interesting moral dilemma would be if there were two books...the Bible and Harry Potter (from book 1-7)...Which would you burn first?

19. Beebo

K so first of all, the bible is simply a book with the story of god in it. It is not god, or even a representation of god.

20. sexyalex

:lol: :grin: :roflmao: :tears: :roflmao: