1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

interesting article on use of the word 'gay' in schools

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by interstella, Mar 18, 2008.

1. interstella

from BBC NEWS:

The word "gay" is now the most frequently used term of abuse in schools, says a report. How did it get to be so prevalent and why do children use homophobic insults to get at each other?

here's the link

to be honest, i think the whole 'non-homophobic' use of the word 'gay' is BS (i get offended when someone says "thats so gay" etc), but obviously some people think otherwise.

2. Étoile

I hate it when others use the word 'gay' as an insult or when trying to describe something, even when it's not used in the homosexual sense. Just because something seems normal to you doesn't mean it's not insulting to others. The word runs rampant in my school and it's really annoying.

3. ok455

I agree that word is really annoying when im out in public u can hear it every 3 seconds

But its really offensive imo its just funny how straight means okay and gay means bad

I just respond i dint know ____ has a sexuality.

#3 ok455, Mar 18, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  4. Beebo

It doesnt bother me to hear it being used about something that is not directly about homosexuality. However, I would rather not have the word gay be used in such a negative way... How cool would it be though, if the word gay was used in a good way, like it used to be.

The blue skies today are really gay; and it makes me glad.

5. Psychedelic Bookmarks

I hear it all the time and it makes me sad. One day people will realise and it will go out of usage, hopefully. :frowning2:

6. tehnathan

I hear it on and off and it annoys me. Not much I can do about it though!

7. Scotty2Hotty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    "Gay" has become a word with a huge variety of meaning in the new generation and although it's use is not meant to be homophobic in the majority of circumstances, it does annoy me when I hear it being used in such a manner because it seems my sexual orientation is being credited very little respect, as it is usually used to describe something negative, in a derogatory manner, and so affording no consideration for the people who are actually "gay".

8. JWAD

JWAD Guest

I'd like to point out a comment from the article here, "A bad pair of trainers is much more likely to be called "gay" than a person, she says. "

This is the exact point! It's used to describe a bad pair of trainers which therefore insults gay people even if its not a direct insult to their face. I must say the use of the word gay in this sense is more irritating than insulting though. Useually if people meen to insult their sexuality they use words like "Faggot" rather than "gay"

9. mark4444

mark4444 Guest

i'm guilty sorry i say it alot and it doesn't offend me cause here no actually means it until you say "so what if i am" or something along those lines here its just for fun.

10. Mick

Mick Guest

When I was in school, "gay" would be used as an insult often. It's getting really old and it should stop.

11. jroakwood

it bugs me too.
    i usually say something when someone uses it.
    oh, i didnt know that 'your homework being due tommorow' had a sexual preference'
    or something like that, just to let the person know i dont like to hear it.

12. Level N Human

I have a counteractive plan: We will mutate the meaning of the phrase "Damn straight!"

It will be a successive approximation.

Phase 1 - Incorporate into daily use. Ex: "Bob Marley is cool." Respond with "Damn straight!"
    Phase 2 - Apply sarcasm. Ex: "Barbara Streisand is cool." Respond with "Haha.. damn straight."

Here we begin to see that "damn straight" is starting to take on a negative connotation. Which will prepare us with...

Phase 3 - Abort phase 1 completely and only use "damn straight" to refer to things that suck. Over time, it will eventually lose its original meaning.

Questions?

13. pirateninja

None whatsoever :badgrin:

Oooohhh.... I'm going to have fun...

14. tehnathan

It's so old, people used to say it when I was in school. :[

15. Alexander

It's been that long? sheesh, and we complain when we hear our parents say groovy or something.

16. Rette

My hobby; anytime someone calls something gay, I just say something along the lines of "wow, I'm so glad I'm not the only one who's reminded of man-on-man loving when talking about [insert whatever it was that was called gay here]".

I've personally stopped people from using the term "gay" pejoratively with this strategy. And if nothing else, it's fun seeing people squirm.

17. interstella

i have MASSIVE respect for you! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

LOL i should try that!

18. tehnathan

It has indeed.

19. STK

STK Guest

It annoys me when people say gay like it's something bad. Still nowhere near "faggot" or *shudders* "batty boy" in terms of offensiveness.

20. StarEater

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    it hear it alot to and i just hate it when poeple say "thats gay when it has nothing to do with being gay