1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joe

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by alex0791, Mar 18, 2008.

1. alex0791

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey guys, I might have a friend joining here soon because he need your guys help on an issue he's handling. He tried to donate blood but due to a survey he took asking him if he's ever had sex with a guy, they said he couldnt donate due to him being gay... He wants to oppose this and make a following so lets SUPPORT HIM.. And check out my new thread entitled "World Hunger" unger the Support and Advice section PLEASE:eusa_danc

2. Joe1180

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone... I'm Joe... Monday March 17th we had a blood drive at school. Well, I signed up a week prior to get an appointment time. When I went for my appointment, I had to fill out a questionnaire. One of the questions was "If you are a male, have you ever had sexual contact with another male?" to which I checked "yes" because I have no shame in admitting that I am a sexually active gay male. Well, when I went up to the man doing the screening. He asked me if I meant to check "yes". To which I replied, "yes, I'm sure."
    "Well, I don't think you can donate then."
    "What?"
    "I don't think you can donate blood."
    "Excuse me?"
    "Hold on. I'll go get the supervisor."
    The supervisor comes over, "Because you responded 'yes' to this question, you cannot donate blood. Do you understand that?"
    "No, I don't."
    "Well, you are a high risk of carrying HIV."
    So I grabbed the free shirt and left.
    Later, after decorating my shirt with "I Suffered Political Injustice & All I Got Was This Lousy T-Shirt." I began to spread the word about what had happened. People need to realize that it is not okay to label gay people as carriers for HIV/AIDS. There are enough stereotypes in this world, we don't need the FDA and CDC adding to discrimination and prejudices.

I've created a group on facebook, and I'm looking for all the support I can get... the group is simply titled "Support Joe and help change an unjust policy!"
    Even if we can't make a change, at least we'll be heard. Rock the boat!

3. Alexander

I just joined your facebook group and sent invites to like all my friends :slight_smile:

thanks for doing the work for us :grin:

4. alex0791

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you. On my behalf and Joe's.

5. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Oh god what a jerk he is!
    I'll make sure I join and all my friends will recieve an invite :grin:

6. alex0791

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you guys.

7. Rette

Well, I don't think the guy (assuming you're referring to the guy who denied Joe?) is a jerk; he's simply enforcing the policy.

It is, sadly, a very widespread policy. While I can see the blood donation service's point (stereotyping or not, we ARE at a high risk for HIV), I always wonder why it's necessary; hasn't blood screening gotten to the point where they shouldn't have a problem detecting HIV? Not to mention, aren't they always desperate for blood donations? I believe this applies to organ donation, too (where they're really, really desperate for organs).

Also....

I don't see this as a matter of prejudice; they're basing it off the fact we're at a higher risk for a blood borne disease.

8. alex0791

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, but not all people GAY people are that sexually active and careless to where they contract AIDS/ HIV. Just because gays have a higher percentage doesn't mean we all do have it... Especiall TEENS who wre thoughful and nice enough to spend their time and their OWN BLOOD to a good cause just to be rejected for being GAY!

9. Quitex

Quitex Guest

Well, Yes I was talking about the administrator guy whatever - he is still a jerk because he treated Joe as some dumb kid. I know he was just applying the law or following orders, but still that was not the way to deny a blood donation. Such a bad customer service. Well it's not even "customer" but such bad manners anyway.

10. alex0791

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Exactly.... But I still find it funny how we blame people for doing their jobs.... Like the other day I was at Wal Mart tring to buy the new Halloween Michael Myers movire and I had to be 18 to buy it and I cussed the cashier out although it wasn't really her fault. She was just doing her job... And she was a sweet old woman.... :-0

11. Rette

I don't think anyone's implying that we all have HIV. But these services have to look at this as a matter of numbers, and they're apparently decided that the percent of gays with HIV is too high to take the risk of using our blood for transfers.

I'd be curious to know if anybody here knows more about the screening process for blood, and it's effectiveness for detecting HIV.

12. alex0791

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So what you're trying to say is that what Joe's doing is useless?

13. CrimsonThunder

WELL DONE!

Although it is rules of the organization, so dont get angry at the guy. Take it to the company head person.

14. Rette

No, I wouldn't say so. As I've said earlier, I'm willing to bet that the HIV screening process is good enough that the risk of HIV in homosexuals is irrelevant.

I just don't think this should be made into an issue of discrimination.

15. alex0791

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I guess..................

16. Nitro

This is also the policy of the Canadian Blood Service (Questions 18, and 21 of their official donor questionnaire). It :***:es me off to no end. However, looking at it from their view it does sort of make sense. Taken from their website:
    Hmm... I guess I'll keep on donating until I too am a male who has sex with a man, even one time since 12 years before I was born.

17. Beebo

Joined the facebook group.

18. Bromptonrocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    In the UK we similarly can not give blood. On the form, I just say I haven't had sex with a male. I believe that lying justifies the end result, ie I want to give blood.

I'm not being reckless or anything because I know I'm not carrying any infection. I'm not sexually active with males and the once or twice where I've been with males I know that they have had no infection. Naturally, I wouldn't donate if there was the slightest chance of me carrying any infection.

Also, all donations are screened for HIV and other infections, so if I was unfortunate to be carrying the virus or any other, they would inform me and, importantly, not use the donated blood.

19. CrimsonThunder

It is discrimination dude, its just like being ageist, sexist, racist.

"You can't donate blood because you're too young"
    "You can't donate blood because you're a girl"
    "You can't donate blood because you're black"
    "You can't donate blood because you're gay"

Of course I understand what you mean, that gay people have a higher rate of getting HIV through the way some gay people have sex and it is a dangerous way, but just blocking them off is bad! Straight people can have anal sex too. Straight people can have sex with other people that have HIV. They aren't immune, not by a long shot. So why can they donate but not us?

If anything, I think they should allow gay people to donate blood if they've had a check up. Hell, wanting to donate is doing the world a favor, so we should be thanked for even wanting to!

20. Alexander

Exactly the reason I think the new red cross rules are stupid.