1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

am i the only one here?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MerBear, Mar 3, 2013.

1. MerBear

okay so everyone knows about how that guy was swallowed by a sink hole in Florida right?

well here's my rant....i saw a comment and bless her heart , it kind of pissed me off

she was basically saying "omg , i can't believe a sink hole did that! i want to learn more about sink holes"

have you noticed with some people...how they are so shocked by these things that happen....I honestly am not shocked or bewildered in any way.

when I heard about the "sandyhook" shooting , it was NOT a surprise to me because the way things seemed , it was bound to escalate to that but to others it's like

"i can't believe that would happen"

i understand the viewpoint where people say

"why would someone do that to children?" , yes i get that....why would someone do that to children but overall , someone going into a school and shooting children and staff is not a shock to me. It was bound to happen sometime

so when this sinkhole story opens , everyone seems to be shocked by the term

"sinkhole" like they have never heard of it in their entire life....and when i hear stuff like that , i can't comprehend it.

now something that would shock me is if they found out what happens in the afterlife or if there is a god or if they found a cure to cancer....

but when tragedies like this or sandyhook happen , it really isn't a "oh my god" moment. it's like "I told you so"

now , something that shocked me kind of ....was that standoff because i never really hear of standoff's

i know what they are but i never really hear if them.

I'm sorry if i offend anyone.

is anyone the same?

2. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Wow, I totally imagined someone being swallowed by a kitchen sink before I looked up what 'sinkhole' means.

3. DeanIsHome

Well on the sinkhole incident i was surprised mainly because I don't hear that all the time of people getting sucked up, but the Newtown incident well... I was born in a village in central Vietnam where Vietnamese soldiers would come and harass the village and in the end they burnt the whole place down killing children, elderly, and even our animals so the Newtown thing wasn't so big of a surprise to me.

4. MerBear

again sorry if i offended you. no need to be a smartass

but i mean....the fact ....that it happened shouldn't be a shock....sinkholes can happen anywhere....and you hear about sinkholes in back yards.

his house and that specific bedroom just happened to be on top of a spot that was soon to collapse

---------- Post added 3rd Mar 2013 at 02:52 PM ----------

well yeah....i mean thats the thing though..i understand you dont hear people getting sucked up by the earth very often but the fact a sinkhole was the cause of it , isn't to my surprise...at leats

i just feel like sinkholes are bound to escalate to these things....
    but i understand. its not something you hear every day about someone getting swallowed by a sinkhole

5. Ticklish Fish

//inb4 politics
    with regard to the shooting, because shooting other countries is okay as long as it doesn't happen in the US homeland... >_> okay, i'll stop here.

//back to sinkhole
    I would like to think that a lot of people who read the news either are gullible(?), easily misguided, easily persuaded, or uneducated, or even dont pay attention to the world much. Yes, my opinion might be a little bitty harsh lol.

I mean, when I first heard of sinkhole, I knew it's something geological, but I just didn't think of limestones and a serious hole in the ground until I google it or look at the news ._.

shootings... yeah, we have guns in this country more than bombs. you would think that reading so much news about bombs in middle east would be a surprise anymore? or chinese -whatever production- have toxic chemicals? I am sure back in the pre-gun era, people going around sword massacre makes it to the news

6. MerBear

i feel people really need to stop and pay attention to things.....and just think about it for a while

7. Vesper

People are less informed than you may think. It's a bright spot, at least, that she wanted to know more about sinkholes.

8. Ticklish Fish

I might be derping here or don't get you. But I don't understand? xD
    like you mean they need to stop being overreating?

9. MerBear

in some area's ...yes.

i understand but to the people who read the newspaper every day and watch the news every day , i'll never understand

---------- Post added 3rd Mar 2013 at 03:03 PM ----------

no...i just feel like....it shouldn't be a shock to some and key word "SOME" because shit like this happens almost every day. its become normal

10. Mandy

Its all about politics and money. The networks want ratings, cause that allows advertisers to invest. People love to gossip and bad news sells cause of it.

Then you have Fox News who takes a different approach to things, who just has radio talk show people and put it into TV and of course the other propaganda comes out.

If you had a good news network, it would be wonderful, but that is slowly happening. People are starting to wake up finally.

Meanwhile, tragedies will always interest the LEFT and the RIGHT and you will have the wars and all networks will want to report and make the small things seem bigger to get more people politically motivated to make the neilson ratings look good so they get the sponsers.

11. MerBear

yeah , that's true.
    they put these thing on air for ratings and talk.

now if we never saw this on the news but heard rumors on the street ....then yeah , that would be a shock...but the fact , i see stuff like this happening almost every single day is not surprising to me.

like , this will sound harsh but its how i feel

when my mom died , it was not a surprise to me.

The woman had MS , had alcoholism , was understand severe depression , was getting evicted from her home , was separated from her children (me and my sister)

i think she killed herself but the autopsy said it was accidental overdose

12. Minx

A lot of this stuff surprises me.

Then again, I hardly pay attention to the rest of the world. That's why I read all the news posted on EC. :slight_smile:

13. DeanIsHome

yeah , that's true.
    they put these thing on air for ratings and talk.

now if we never saw this on the news but heard rumors on the street ....then yeah , that would be a shock...but the fact , i see stuff like this happening almost every single day is not surprising to me.

like , this will sound harsh but its how i feel

when my mom died , it was not a surprise to me.

The woman had MS , had alcoholism , was understand severe depression , was getting evicted from her home , was separated from her children (me and my sister)

i think she killed herself but the autopsy said it was accidental overdose[/QUOTE]

But also that's you're personal experience with death, like my experience as being a refugee and fleeing some things aren't surprising to me while other things are like when i first came to the U.S the thought of locking doors seemed crazy to me

14. MerBear

But also that's you're personal experience with death, like my experience as being a refugee and fleeing some things aren't surprising to me while other things are like when i first came to the U.S the thought of locking doors seemed crazy to me[/QUOTE]

it's not just death though , i can see where your coming from on the personal experience....but its not just people dying that's a shock to me.

15. Ticklish Fish

awkward moment when I inserted "only" , this is not true, right?

16. Minx

:lol: Tis true. I hardly keep tabs on the rest of the population. :eusa_eh: flaws of being a loner? :grin:

17. Kgirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd never even heard of a sinkhole before :S Pretty sure that's not a common occurrence around here.

18. MerBear

sigh.....i seem to not be getting my point across.

i mean here where i live in america. no offense. i think its better sinkholes aren't common over there.

i guess i am the only one here

19. i also havent heard o it but i googled and its basicaly a big hole in the ground? idk :s

20. FJ Cruiser

Life's hard as a teenager who has everything figured out in life.