1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Stereotypical gays.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SupremeEmperor, Mar 4, 2013.

1. I've been wondering (especially after seeing how low most of us scored on the Gay Test in Fun and Games), how many people on here are actually a stereotypical gay? The modern gay has a very developed stereotype that is flattering at times, degrading at others, how many of you actually meet it? And where do these things come from in the first place?

2. Motov

My guess would have to be Hollywood and how they have over the years depicted gays and their lifestyles. Then an uninformed public pick up on the more flamboyant, (I'm not intending to insult anyone) characteristics associated with "gays" that cause a distorted view by those not familiar with the whole subject.

3. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

The last survey I read on the topic puts the percentage of gay people in the population at 6%, or about one in sixteen. Which means one in every sixteen people you pass in the street is gay. Now think about how many people you pass in the street who meet the stereotype about being gay. It's probably nowhere near one in sixteen. So as for how many gay people fit the stereotype, it's certainly not a whole lot. :slight_smile:

4. LoveMusicPoetry

Some of the gayest looking people I've ever met have turned out not to be gay. Conversely, I've met some really camp gay guys who ooze stereotypical gay from every pore. I haven't met many of these stereotypical gays though, so clearly most gays aren't, unless I happen to have somehow managed to avoid contact with them all my life, which I seriously doubt, being as though it seems that vertually every guy at my college is either queer or bi...not many bi or lesbian girls though unfortunately.

5. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

I'm not sure what a stereotypical gay does. I'm pretty sure I'm not a stereotypical gay. I dress in plain clothing, t-shirts and pants/shorts, have a very deep voice, and don't share the same political opinions of most homosexuals I know.

Can someone give me a list of various gay stereotypes or a description of a stereotypical gay? I know the obvious ones; lisp, high voice, energetic, loud, pushy, sensitive, proud of their gay. What are some others?

6. Quisto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't act stereotypical. I knew a guy from high school who acted pretty camp, but he claims to be straight. He's had a bunch of girlfriends, so maybe he is, but who knows. A lot of gay men I know or have met in passing didn't act feminine. That's just in my experience.

7. LoveMusicPoetry

Good with colours.

8. worriedWardrobe

me

9. Ianthe

There are many stereotypes about gay people. Some of them are in contradiction with each other. Many people fit at least some of them; no one fits them all.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My voice is a dead giveaway...

11. DeanIsHome

I think the only stereotypes I fall under are my T.V shows that I watch and the fact that I can cook and back pretty well, oh and I can't stand most sports (not all).

12. 4ever Hearth

High-Voice: Not my fault. Apparently mother nature thought it best and biology agreed. :tantrum:

Energetic: Well I usually try to be as upbeat as possible(in a class-clown/little brother way) when around other's so there's a good chance I did this to myself. :eusa_doh:

Sensitive: This varies. I'm a kind-hearted person that can't stand to see someone down and out but to that same extent, my sense of humor can be very dark, offensive and crude and I can take a crack inreturn especially since I make quite a few self-targeted jokes. While I do enjoy physical combat(of the playful variety) but if it occurs in a "real world" situation :bang:, i'll be too glad to stay :thumbsup:. So I don't know if that makes me sensitive in the stereotypical way.

Proud of My Gay: Meh.....On the days when I don't roll out of bed and hit the floor.

13. Harve

I don't see how being proud of being gay is a stereotype. Those adhering a the stereotype may be more 'in your face' with it (although I don't like that phrasing as it's more the other person having difficulty dealing with a behaviour they're not using to) but that's not to say that others aren't proud.

14. therunawaybff

I don't think I'm very stereotypically gay at all. I have sort of a deep voice, I'm laid back. I am a little sensitive I gu (ess (I shed many a manly tear during sad movies, for example). I feel stuff pretty deeply, even though sometimes I have a hard time expressing myself.

I'm in the closet, so the whole "proud to be gay" thing obviously doesn't apply to me yet.

In many ways I'm stereotypically straight. I watch college football, I hunt in the fall, I like to play cards, my bedroom looks like a mortar made of laundry hit it (rest of the place is clean), I dress in tee-shirts and jeans (not designer), I like to fiddle around with stuff in the garage. I like tools, and arm wrestling, and video games, and beer pong.

But the whole having sex with a dude thing totally gives it away though.

15. This could make sense. Frogs don't actually say 'ribbit'; only one species of toad does. Just so happens that that species of toad is very common around Hollywood, so it ended up in films and shaped our whole idea on what frogs are.

---------- Post added 5th Mar 2013 at 02:32 AM ----------

Also, I don't have a high voice, hate fashion and clothes shopping, hate pretty much all TV and film (ruling out chick flicks etc), and I don't like boys. So I don't think I'm a stereotypical gay; I'm a subtle one.

Oh an I'm definitely not proud to be gay at all, I would be very glad to be straight, or anything a little more explainable or obvious than what I am. Also, the gay pride events I've been to make me truly embarrassed to be part of this thing people call 'gay'.

#15 RavioliFaceMan, Mar 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2013
  16. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I probably fit the stereotype in some ways; when I'm with someone I feel comfortable around I like to get all silly. I do like to emphasize feminine aspects of myself, as I tend to feel sort of more feminine leaning. However I am serious, and intellectual, definitely not a metrosexual kind of guy. I like to look good, but I wouldn't call myself fashion-obsessed.

I think the key thing about the stereotype is that it's usually depicted as a very sexual person. The details can vary, but generally gays are depicted as being fairly sexual, such as oggling every dude they see, finding it impossible not to comment on attractive men, etc. I'm not very sexual myself. I usually don't find myself turned on by random strangers, and though I can say "That guy's cute" and maybe feel he's attractive, I don't seriously think about it.

17. 4ever Hearth

Seems like the better question is, Do you let them run you down? or Do you draw the line at some point and not be a little....this is going to be quite harsh and is to noone in particular, just expressing a thought.....chicken shit and keep talking about how the world and society(if you just look at the condition of either, you can tell that opinion is clearly null and void) keep putting "expectations" on your shoulders. LETS MANIFEST DESTINY BIOTCHES!!!

Oh and there should be a holiday called "Be Your Own Gay" Day. That could be super kick-ass. Anyone agree? :icon_bigg :eusa_clap :eusa_danc :grin:

And even though, because the reasons I stated in my previous post, I do get looked down upon when it comes to manliness/masculinity. I still find being gay is kick-ass. It's fun for me and honestly I can't really tell you why but I guess it would be no different than someone who loves Video-Games, Sports or whatever. I like that people get confused when I say i'm gay or say something along the lines of "Well I always had some hint of it because of your voice." to which I reply "Wow, an underdeveloped larynx told you that. Are you a Wizard?!....How many wishes do I get?!" The assumptions suck but to be completely honest, in this day and age with near-limitless tech, if someone won't taken it upon themselves to be informed. Trust and believe, Ignorance is the blanket that they snuggle with on a cold winter's night.

18. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i think the gay sterotype are the very feminine guys who act and talk like some pre madona... and when they dance they think theyre beyonce lol... always krack up when i see them around...

i dont want to hurt anyone's feelings but its these type of gays that most straight guys hate and are anti gay... when i was younger thats how my mates and i used to pick out gays and most people still do these days...

i think thats why i personally dont want to come out to my group of friends coz theyre homophobic inspite being really cool laid back guys. i dont think i fit into the gay sterotype but then thats just me...

19. Vernox

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm pretty average I guess. I'm not much in to typical guy-stuff stuff like sports and mechanics and beer or whatever. And I'm not feminine really. I'm somewhere in the middle I suppose. I just simply don't care enough to put up any kind of image. I'm not out or anything and I try to not give any clues - I'm not ready to be out.

Although I do work in a primarily women's clothing store which I'm thinking might be a bit counter-productive. Hahaha

20. I can see how that might come up.