1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would You Be FAITHful?...

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by 4ever Hearth, Mar 6, 2013.

?

Can you see yourself with a "Devout" Man or Woman?

1. Sure. I think it could work.

32 vote(s)
    38.6%
  2. Hell no. I ran away from it for a reason.

17 vote(s)
    20.5%
  3. Meh. Depends.

34 vote(s)
    41.0%
  1. 4ever Hearth

Now i've been thinking this over for sometime and in my own personal experience, i've discovered that alot of people have become extremely hostile to those that follow a religion nowadays, for whatever reason(s) i'm not here to judge, but it makes me wonder. As a non-believer myself, I do kinda sorta get it when people throw on the rebellious mask and scream "ANARCHY!" but to that same extent, I have witnessed how some of the oppressed have not been hesitant toward becoming the oppressor to those that caused them no harm.

So the question is this:

Can you see yourself with a man, or a woman, that is considered "Devout" in their faith?....I mean a person who follows the morals and has found their truth within the text.

2. Ticklish Fish

ever since i have come a conclusion that the whatever text nowadays people read have been translated and reworded so many times, i don't think i will lol.

maybe if i meet someone who reads it in original language then i might beg to differ lol

PS. I am currently intermediate on the religious or not scale

3. therunawaybff

Yes, it wouldn't bother me.

I'm Christian and my boyfriend is agnostic. I was raised in a fundamentalist Southern Baptist sect (yeah, every bit as fun as it sounds) but these days I'm sort of intrigued by the Unitarian denomination.

As someone who was raised fundamentalist, I've memorized the text, but I don't take it at face value like most fundamentalists do. The Bible is a metaphorical exercise as far as I'm concerned.

EDIT: I don't go to any church these days. Too distrustful of them.

#3 therunawaybff, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  4. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

I can't see myself with someone who is religious. The differences in worldview would simply be too extreme, especially since I tend to bond with people over having the same general philosophy toward life.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd tell him at the outset - "You have your religion, and I totally respect that. I have my religion, which is no religion, and I have to ask you to totally respect that as well. If you can't, then I'm afraid it won't work." Assuming he was fine with that, I'd have no problem at all with his religion.

Lex

6. djt820

Dating a religious person is out of the question for me. There's a fundamental understanding of the world that me and him would not be able to share, if they were religious. It would just damper the way we could communicate. On top of that, I find religion to be extremely immoral and could not be with somebody that would be okay with that.

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To adhere to an established religion, IMO, represents a failure to think critically. It's as simple as considering that every religion presents itself as true; why is this particular one so special that you dedicate your life to its adherence?

I understand that lots of good can come from religion, as well as moral guidance. What bugs me is that morality is a case-by-case judgment, not a pre-programmed course of action. The Ten Commandments say "Thou shalt not kill," but what if killing a person saves a hundred? Which course of action would be the "right" path? Because if somebody determines that killing one to save many is the right choice, that is *human* judgment, and not strict following of godly rules.

That's why I've ditched established religions in favor of a personal relationship with God. I feel that he communicates not so much with me as through me, and by pursuing goodness in any form, I do his work. It has given me mountains of peace and happiness. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Wow, just realized I sort of didn't even answer the question. I said "No" because I would not respect the person's rigid way of dealing with a fluid world.

#7 Argentwing, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  8. aeva

I totally agree. My personal views and philosophies strongly revolve around my belief that there is no God, and that organized religion is one of the most fundamental issues of human kind. If my partner were to be strongly religious, we would not be able to see eye to eye on...well, almost anything. That is not a good foundation for a relationship.

9. therunawaybff

I consider the Commandments to be more like guidelines than actual rules. :grin: I mean, it's pretty basic stuff that is common across most major cultures. Respect your parents. Love your neighbor. Don't steal shit. Don't murder anybody. To me, it's pretty much just Christianity's overly-complicated version of the Golden Rule.

^ This, this, this all damned day.

10. gordilocks

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    i could veryhappily do it as long as they didn't impose said religion upon me

11. timo

I'd respect someone else's beliefs, whatever they might be, but in return I expect them to respect the fact I am not religious (and will never be). Them imposing their religion beliefs = no go.

Edit: rephrased

12. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Probably not. Our viewpoints on things would differentiate way too much.

#12 Oddish, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2013
  13. therunawaybff

This is the way we do it. Never had even a single argument about it. I'm not in the business of conversion (which is convenient, because neither is he :grin:).

14. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

I wouldn't be able to, no. I have enough trouble dating a republican sometimes, so someone who was religious would be a nightmare. Not because they would be annoying, but they would actually find me annoying and probably end the relationship haha I just rant a lot about things to the people I date :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Besides, then you get to having children and then what? Will you teach them to have religious views or agnostic/atheist views? What happens with certain family holidays? Will you baptize him?

15. CupidBoy

CupidBoy Guest

Yeah, I think so.

16. leer

I feel the same .

17. Pain

Pain Guest

I don't know about many other religions than Christianity, so I can't speak on those. But, I always remember this: it isn't Christianity that is doing the discriminating; it's the so-called "Christians."

Which also doesn't mean all of them--only the ones pushing a non-flexible agenda.

18. It's strongly linked to my personal integrity that I navigate the world in good philosophical form and I feel like faith is sloppy philosophy. I don't really care if other people believe otherwise, that's totally fine, but I at least want to share the way that I navigate ideas with my partner. That's part of the reason I am with my girlfriend. She and I are very alike in how we choose to think about the world, even if we often differ in our opinion.

19. 4ever Hearth

Now this is the perspective I was wishing like crazy someone would bring into play which is the reason why I posed the question. With most of the responses thus far, I feel bad for some guy who does follow a religion but has managed to take "what he needed"(as in putting the metaphorical exercises to work) so he doesn't take it all at face-value and becomes Self-Righteous. Personally, it wouldn't bother me either. Sometimes I find it nice to get a better look at the otherside of the story.

This is Perfect. Boundaries are of the utmost importance in matters of difference, spiritual or otherwise.

Idk. I feel like just as there are people who follow Science yet manage to respect the "mysteries" of The Universe with a dash of Spirituality(Myself included), there are people out there who have the ability to read the bible and not become some ass-wipe who pickets funerals or goes into politics and starts screaming "Down with Gay!" Just as most of us that have chosen to walk away from it due to it's inability to accept us and adapt to it's times. I believe there are some who have seen the wickedness in which it could be used, and maybe in some sense of revelation, decided that they were going to pave their own way. Using the morals and "metaphors" that applied to them to find their inner-peace.

But idk, my naivety could just be showing.....:eusa_thin

20. therunawaybff

I just try to continually remind myself that faith without skepticism is fanaticism. The power of religious texts is not in the text itself, but in the interpretation. At least that's my opinion.

That being said, I also heard it said once that you can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out He hates all the same people you do.