1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are some people against gays in the first place?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by thegaymer, Mar 6, 2013.

1. thegaymer

I just don't get why some people look down at gays.

2. therunawaybff

Because some people try to make themselves superior by making other people feel inferior.

It really stems from insecurity I think.

Also, a large chunk of humanity also tends to inherently hate anything outside their status quo that they don't understand on a personal level.

3. well sometimes the low critical mass of gay people makes them feel uncomfortable. gay people are basically on the complete opposite spectrum in sexuality as compared to straight people (generalization here). this huge jump, and especially because we're so rare in a large crowd, generally, means that they get a bit uncomfortable over someone different.

i might also be completely wrong, but that's how i see it.

4. castle walls

A person can have something against gays for a lot of reasons including religion, they had a bad experience with a gay person, they don't understand gays, they believe that it is against nature, and so on and so on

5. Oddish

Oddish Guest

religion, "bad experiences", heteronormativity

6. SkyDiver

They're scared of what they do not understand.

7. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

Ikr., it's stupid why anybody is at all. I think it's probably because some people just don't like people who are different than them. In Christianity before Leviticus 18:22 was translated it was meant to be about not be having to much sex, being a whore. Not that being gay is wrong. It was translated in to the new bible by homophobic people who changed it up to make seen like being gay is wrong. That's another reason some people are homophobic, but some Christians like me don't believe being lgbt is wrong, but some christians and other religous people do. the good thing is that times are changing more and more people are becoming accepting of lgbt's, and more and more people are coming out.

8. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    One word "Religion" books like the bible tell them that's it's wrong to be Gay & people believe it, they then make laws making it illegal to be Gay & this causes discrimination, The western world has come a long way on Gay rights, its no longer illegal in most places & people are starting to accept Gay people, its harder for the older generation, because when they were younger Gay people got put in prison & were banned from joining the armed forces, in less civilised countries around the world, you can still be sent to prison for being Gay or even put to death!

9. thegaymer

I don't even get why religion would be a part if it. From my understanding, according to religion, gays will go to hell. Why should other people care about it for us?

10. Quisto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Ignorance. People want to shun things that they don't actually understand. They're unnerved by the unknown. One of the initial responses to this fear or apprehension is some form of negativity. If more people were educated and knew that there is absolutely nothing wrong with any sexual orientation other than straight, the world would be a better place.

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think a huge issue is, as others say, gays are outside the world many people know. Past that, many people are afraid of the unknown. A lot of people have had to revisit their opinion of gays when they learn someone they know is gay.

12. Mandy

It is fear. The human being is fearful of things they do not understand.

Also, if you grow up old school you are taught that it is a mortal sin, so many feel guilty by association if they talk. In addition to that many people feel it is written in the Bible, so therefore people think gays are hellbound. Whether they are wrong or right is not the issue as much as what you believe! If you feel that you are right, then you should not have to worry about others in the first place.

The key is RESPECT, if you want people to want them to know where you come from, then learn where these people come from as well. They are only doing what they were taught! In some way you have to look at the bright side, at least they care in a strange way. Being that they believe that all that do not agree with them are going to Hell, consider that a sign of caring for your soul right or wrong.

It takes an individual more character to accept their enemies quirks and to look the other way then to let it get the best of you! I know this sounds like I am saying that you should condone others beliefs, but to the contrary. When you respect another person's lifestyle does not mean that you are giving in to their ways, even if they do not see yours either.

13. castle walls

Not all religions/religious people believe that gays go to hell. As for the ones that do . . .

It depends which religion you're talking about and then it depends which denomination you're talking about. To be general, a lot of major religions believe that they should try and help as many people get to heaven as they possibly can. That can cause them to fight homosexuality if they believe that it is against their religious beliefs.

Another way religion can become involved is that some people believe that what works for them should work for everyone else. Some people think that they know what is best for themselves and everyone else

14. Colours

Some people are just too dense to understand that being different doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Plus some people don't like the thought of sex with the same sex and take it too far. I wonder if they hate people for liking a certain food that they don't like. Oh you like spaghetti? Ew you're gross.

15. Mandy

Then the more reason you should pray for them and feel sorry for them. Look at it this way, we are supposed to love each other and when someone is doing wrong you should not want them to do wrong.

I cannot speak, though, for non religious people who have it against gays, but in most cases I find that it is against the act of homosexuality and not the person. Some people through history have been known to hate people totally if they do not believe like themselves, like Osama Bin Laden and there are extreme American's too. You just have to pray for people and if you do not believe than you should hope.

16. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

I wouldn't be surprised if humans were genetically predisposed to homophobia. When humans were first evolving, global population and regional populations were infinitesimal to today's. If you've taken a biology class you know that organisms (in general) strive to maximize their population's survival, their own, and their reproduction rates. Prolonging the human race requires more reproduction and males fucking males or females fucking females doesn't contribute at all. Actively discouraging homosexuality could have begun as nothing more than an adaptation to small or dwindling populations.

And of course, that's not a problem anymore and homophobia's been reinforced through religion, culture, laws, etc.

#16 plasticcrows, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013
  17. FollowtheFreeman

Straight men are secretly afraid that dicks taste great.

18. Naren

Because most people are sad, gay means happy, therefore they get scared.

Edit:
    LOL

19. The people in society do not like us because we are seen to be 'deviant' and it seems we are disrupting their social order (from a sociological perspective ) and it could also be because prople have been indoctrinated through religion to condemn us.

20. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

I'd like to ask everyone blaming religion in this thread something:

Why do you think these religions oppose(d) homosexuality? All religions were made by people, so it follows that the people who made these religions opposed homosexuality.

---------- Post added 6th Mar 2013 at 09:09 PM ----------

Keep in mind, that religions like christianity, islam, and judaism weren't each made by single groups. There were (and still are) countless scholars, politicians, prophets, theologians, councils, etc that all helped to develop their core beliefs and religious texts (they weren't made all at once) and helped to make them organized.

#20 plasticcrows, Mar 6, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2013