1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Must Watch - Atheism

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Naren, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Naren

2. BornInTexas

Made me laugh a little. XD I love cartoons.

3. Naren

4. BornInTexas

O_O You're on the controversial side of YouTube. Find your way back to talking fruits!

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    How to "refute" atheism: make the debate all about astrophysics and evolutionary biology, because somehow, you have to know how the universe was created and why we're here.

Nevermind that there's no obligation to actually be an astrophysicist or evolutionary biologist at all.

6. Romandude

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh my gosh! This helps so much since I'm a pk!!!

7. TheDifferent13

That's pretty funny, might be slightly offencive to some people, but still funny.

This video also lead me to a couple of videos there by Atheist experience, which are quite interesting, as it's showing some people trying to prove creationism and things like that. But again, some of those might be a bit offencive to some people, and I don't want to start an argument or anything, I'm just saying, that they're pretty interesting to watch, and see what some people try to come up with to prove their point.

8. therunawaybff

It's so weird to me how wound up people get over what are essentially hypotheticals (like creation and evolution) that don't really have much application to their day to day life.

Basically I don't see why atheism is a position that has to be proven or disproven. If you don't believe in anything, I totally believe you. :lol:

9. I remind the world of Russell's Teapot. Goggle it if you want the specifics. Basically it says that since religious people are the ones with the beliefs, it is on them to prove them, not on atheists to disprove them.

10. Dalmatian

That's clear. The problem arises from the response "well I do have proof, I can feel his love" :slight_smile: No offense to anybody, but that's the end of the conversation right there. I pretended to be on that side with some of my extremely intelligent friends. Before I told them that no, I don't believe the nonsense I just said, it was clearly remarkably easy to defend the position of theism through simple.. well, methods exactly as those seen in the first video.

Cool videos though :slight_smile:

11. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why is it necessary to destroy an atheists argument? shouldn't u just try and spread love and not try and force ppl away from what they believe...makes me think of the Spanish inquisition

12. aeva

I personally like the Atheist Experience videos. They're not as humorous by far, but they incude some great theological discussions and debated.

13. TheDifferent13

That is one response they often have. The other one is "You want a proof that god exists? Well where is your proof that he doesn't exist?", and I agree with SupremeEmperor, that it's an obligation of the person that claims something is true, to prove that it is right, and not someone else's obligation to disprove it, but people who throw that line at you, generally ignore that and don't want to listen, simply because they don't actually have a proof.

I've actually been looking at Atheist Experience videos the whole time since I saw this thread earlier today, and there are so many cases, where it comes to "Where is your proof of god?", and they always beat around the bush, quoting Bible or other scriptures, and when that doesn't work, since it's not an actual proof, they always come to the "Where is your proof that god doesn't exist?".

14. Bree

My philosophy teacher used God and the Bible as an example of "begging the question", which is a phrase widely misused in our culture. It's where you use two things to prove each other, and end up not proving anything at all.

How do we know God exists? The Bible says so. How do we know what the Bible says is true? God wrote it. ...umm, sure, but no.

15. djt820

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.”
    -Christopher Hitchens

16. Fiddledeedee

Is there evidence for that assertation? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. aeva

Exactly. It's called the Burden of Proof. Most atheists do not claim outright that "God does not exist". We tend to say instead that our viewpoint stems from a lack of evidence for His existence. It's the same thing within the legal system (as Atheist Experience explains quite well), the verdict is "guilty" or "not guilty", the latter meaning that the evidence provided is not sufficient enough to prove culpability. It's the same in any other arena.

18. MerBear

its a matter of believing.

you can't prove or disprove god.
    its a choice of whether you believe there is one.

19. SkyColours38

I, for one, would like to respectfully say that this is bullshit. Just sayin', when it's science vs. mythology, I will always consider all the evidence carefully, and then go with science. Yes, I have lots of friends who have faith of some variety or another, but we just don't talk about it for fear of hurting our friendship. I feel no need to stop anyone believing in their God(s), so would you all please stop feeling the need to convert me?!

20. aeva

I'm confused. What exactly is bullshit, and who is trying to convert you? The original post was in support of atheism...