1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do parents know?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hkboy93, Mar 7, 2013.

1. hkboy93

I keep hearing that parents always somehow "know" their son is gay. If that is true why do some still discourage, talk down or even condemn on gays knowing they might be hurting their own child?

2. DanD

The only answer I can think of is that they're just uneducated. They want their son to be straight, and if they mention bad things about gay people they think that he may 'consider' going straight - like it's some kind of choice - they don't understand.

I told someone once that I'm sure that gay people are born gay, and only really find out around the time of puberty who they really like sexually, and he said he doubted that very much. He said it's a choice etc etc

I think that only gay/bi/pansexual etc people fully understand, and we don't really understand what it feels like to be straight either, do we?

If only people were more open to understanding, they'd know that we are who we are, and should be loved unconditionally.

3. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i dont think they do... mine think im a womanizer and want me to settle down already...

4. cassexy

cassexy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well,my parents are both dead and i am an adult, so i can practice what i please

5. BlackSwan

I wish they knew!! at least my mom lol
    I would be a liiitle easier I think..like..better something like "ouch :eusa_eh:..I knew it but was hopping that I was wrong.." than "WTF?! are you kidding me?!" :lol:
    but now seriously..I wish at least my mom suspect it (maybe she does..:dry:slight_smile:...

6. fuzzywuzzy

I haven't told them yet. Even though I've brought girls at home I still think that my mum kinda...figured it out. Especially when I asked her for a fashion advice or when she sees me in the kitchen,or watching lady channels.

7. leer

It terrified me them finding out my dirty secret but they were supportive.
    apparently I did leave some clues that made mum think I wasn't er Normal :slight_smile:

8. Quaiv

If they know and still make homophobic comments, same answer as DanDavies.
    Mine don't know, though I'm not sure how. I mean, Born This Way and Same Love blaring out of my room each time I'm home, plus my wallpapers (phone, computer) (Eir Stegalkin, Naya Rivera <3), the fact that I'm very outspoken about my support for same-sex marriage (despite their opposition), and other details... My boyfriend must help their apparent blindness, though. Talk about bi invisibility...

9. RedMage

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't think they do, but whenever the subject arises they are pretty supportive of same-sex relationships. They even told my siblings and me that if we were gay that they would still love us and that nothing is wrong with being gay.

If they do think or assume that I am then let them but I want to be the one to confront/come out to them about it.

10. Van

Van

When I asked my mom if she somehow knew or suspected, she said she has never even thought about this.

11. DragKing

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My parents have always been very supportive about LGBT people, and told my siblings and I that if we were gay, that was fine. I told my parents I was a lesbian a few weeks ago and they said that it was fine! (!) But my dad still always uses terms like "future husband" when he talks to me, or says things like "that's the kind of guy you want" and it's just like :bang: :bang: :bang: whenever he says it! It's like he forgot that I told him I was a lesbian!!!!

:***:

12. BornInTexas

My mom told me she would love me if I was gay before, but when I told her, she "didn't want a gay son." I told both of my parents it was a joke. Maybe she overreacted. Idk.

all I know is, maybe she suspects it again because my mom and I are dying our hair over the summer. LOL.

13. Quisto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually kind of hope my parents know or at least suspect it, so maybe it would be easier for me when I eventually tell them. My parents never say anything bad about homosexuality, but they never say anything at all about it, so I don't really know how they feel about the topic. But I feel like if they are suspicious, and still haven't said anything negative about homosexuality, then maybe it won't be so bad when I come out to them. Here's hoping, lol.

14. Black Cat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother always knew. I made it painfully obvious as a child, but I was her firstborn so she adored all my eccentricities, which she continued to do with my siblings later on. Maybe it's the type of mom she is, but that's irrelevant. The point is, my mother knew. When I came out she denied ever knowing, but I think somewhere inside she was aware and just didn't quite connect the dots.

I think all parents "know" to an extent. They create us. They know us better than we know ourselves (until we begin to think freely and form opinions - which brings me to my next point...)

The percentage of parents who possess the particular problem of accepting that we are gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender/purple/alien-chasers/ whatever else is essentially (I think) their resistance to the fact that we are telling them a fact rather than the other way around. It's something about their child they didn't know or have some input on. It's a glaring realization that we are becoming free-thinking and self aware adults.

15. TurtleRage

My mom still thinks I'm a lesbian.

16. JBWat

JBWat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it depends on how receptive they are to other's feelings. My parents certainly don't know I'm gay. If they did they'd confront me about it.

If I told them, they might say they knew in retrospect, because I subtly hint that I'm not going to get married, don't want kids, etc., but other parents might know their children better.

17. PurpleRain

Skyrim... I have no life, and enjoy it. :D
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone just always assumes I'm gay, never trans*. I'm surprised no one's guessed yet with all the feminine stuff I do. Almost every time I sit down I throw one leg over the other and nobody even notices (including me), I look and dress feminine and I'm just overall a really feminine guy. But nope, I don't think they even suspect trans*. It'd make it a lot easier to come out if they already had suspicions. :dry:

18. artsyfartsy

I wish they knew that I was without me telling them!! But I dont think they have any idea that I am gay.. They always talk about girlfriends with me and occasionally complain about gays. Sometimes, I don't get how they DONT know... hahaha

19. BornInTexas

Maybe they already know you are a girl? =D=D=D

20. Rogue

My mum cought me watching some gay anime on my pc lol it wasn't funny at all,
    but even before that, i think she does have an idea that i might be gay but she never says anything to me, she just tries not to harm me in words or so and she doesn't discuss it with anyone else either. my mums really good to me, but still I just can't bring my self to tell her the truth, that i love both genders... overall she does have an idea about it.
    Maybe she knows after seeing me watch those yaoi pics >_>
    (I'm just glad my father doesn't know) Or it would be a catastrophiy lol