1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else used to homophobic?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonderingdave01, Mar 8, 2013.

1. I used to be and I regret it with a passion. How could I turn my back on my own people? :frowning2:

I was such an idiot back then and I hated it so much, I was extremely confused.

Did anyone else used to anti-gay?

2. FunnyMonkey

unfortunately, I was when I was about 15. More of my friends at that time and I copy them but that's no excuse, I feel bad about it, but you live you learn and I would not do it again if I could do it all over again.

3. poopie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Yeah becaz of me family but I think its ironic that I'm bisexual

4. Luke Matt

I was very homophobic a few years ago.

NOT ANYMORE.

5. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was superficially anti-gay, but deep down, I knew that something was up (my own feelings towards guys helped that along lol). All I was against were the trappings of gayness, aka the stereotypical queen behavior that, to me at the time, represented a male giving up his manhood or a girl unfortunately not available for guys.

Abominable thoughts? Yes, but I was like 12-14 (automatic stupid-ass) and in a grossly homophobic echo chamber of a middle school. Seriously, calling someone "gay" or "fag" in my school was almost like "communist" in the McCarthy era. It was incredibly damaging and offensive; nobody in their right mind would own up to it.

#5 Argentwing, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  6. fuzzywuzzy

Indeed I was as a kid. I used to be very very girly and others made fun of me (including my uncle, calling me "sissy") and I was refraining from doing anything that "looks" gay. I was even afraid of hugs and stopped standing in ways that I find myself comfortable just because my pose looks gayish. I ended up being a brvtal metal4ever teen before coming out to myself.

#6 fuzzywuzzy, Mar 8, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  7. disparaître

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I was never homophobic but I was kind of transphobic when I was younger. I think it was a reaction, trying to distance myself from my own feelings by being crass and making bad jokes.

8. Rogue

I just acted along with all my mates.... back then.
    I was a loser until i found my self ^_^ I'd like to thank someone named Jamie.

I havent herd from him in years though. I hope his ok.

9. Quisto

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have never acted homophobic. I never said any homophobic slurs or anything like that. I didn't associate much with people that acted that way, so I didn't feel too pressured to do that in order to seem straight.

10. Wickgaga

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I've never been homophobic, but when I was younger there was a gay man who was friends with my cousin-type person who was the sterotypical gay that scared me. He was just so different from men I'd seen before & I was a wussy child to begin with. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

11. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Nope.. I went through a bit of a transgender stage when I was younger, and I remember how harsh the comments were towards me whenever I went into either bathroom. Crying at school, actually. The comments got to me so bad (from both my classmates and parents), that I conformed to my female self since. I've always learned to accept people and not toss derogatory comments because I know how much it stings. But I have used "gay" in a different context, I usually use it with my friends just to be a joker. Like, "you huge homo" and I laugh and stuff, though it would be considered inappropriate with anyone else.

I did have internalized homophobia for months, but it was only geared towards me, and me only. But I learned to accept myself more when I knew I couldn't change it, and it's a part of me now. I still feel iffy at times about it, but I would never target or feel dislike towards another LGB person for their homosexuality, just because I didn't accept myself.

12. Chloe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Never anti-gay, but I was anti-male for a while when I first came out as a lesbian. Later, when I realized I was bi, it was difficult to admit I could be with a man. Interestingly, hanging out on a gay forum (not this one) helped me appreciate men more.

13. DannyBoi66

Universe, Milky Way, Solar System, Earth, England
    A bit. But only because of Family Guy and American Dad. I don't really watch them anymore. :slight_smile: But mostly just went along with society.

14. stuffiscool

stuffiscool Guest

Oh yes, I was very homophobic. And transphobic. I prayed every day that God would stop homosexuality. I thought queers should all be exiled. I got angry whenever my friends mentioned something queer.

Later down the line after I knew I was queer but hadn't come out yet, I started talking about lesbian stuff more and my friend was like, "I preferred it when you would scream at the word gay. Now you talk about it all the time." :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I don't feel that guilty about it because it was how I was taught. I didn't choose to be raised like that just how I didn't choose to be queer. Now that I know being queer is okay, I have a responsibility to overcome my biases. But back then, I was just programmed to be anti-queer.

15. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I was moderately homophobic because I knew I was queer, and I was trying desperately to hide to defend myself from insults until I gained the strength to come out of the closet. The problem is that by being homophobic, I had hurt other people and also reinforced my internalized homophobia, which I suffered from for six years after coming out, and it really did a number on my mental health.

16. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^Pret, that sounds pretty rough. I couldn't imagine the embarrassment of being vocally anti-gay, then coming out. But I guess explaining your hard situation to people would make it better, so there's that.

17. Naomilly92

Yeah, and how. I used to believe all of the ignorant stereotypes of gay people, you could say I had a slight hate towards them. Being gay really opened my eyes, it's made me a more open minded and non-judgemental person, and not just about the LGB community

18. Tlarkul

Honestly, I was a little externally homophobic (about as far as to stop listening to the "YMCA" song after finding out the band who made it were gay, although that is the worst that I can actually remember) during my late childhood since I was taught by my mother that marriage was between a man and a woman (around that time, gay marriage was legalised at the national level in Canada).

Then, at age 13, my feelings about being gay started to manifest in me, and my homophobia since then became internalised. It wasn't until recently, just a few months after admitting to myself that I am gay, that I began to let go of my internalised homophobia. As of this posting, I have gotten over most of it, and I think I'm making better progress through gaining a better understanding of the LGBTQ community and myself.

19. hkboy93

Yup
    S*it society does to you

20. ZanedaKitty

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    No and a friend of mine who I later came out found it odd how I was so neutral on it while being a closet case.