1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it wrong to want to be flamboyant?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Owen, Mar 22, 2008.

1. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

As my sexuality label says, I am very straight acting. Sometimes, however, I wish I were more flamboyant. I don't know why I desire to be like that, since being straight acting has actually helped me more than anything. Still, sometimes I just wish I were more telling...

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I guess that'd all depend. Do you feel you're straight-actingness (is that a word?) is actually, in fact, an act? That you would actually be more flamboyant were you not worried about what strangers and friends might think? Or do you wish you were more flamboyant so, in fact, strangers WOULD know you were gay?

My general advice would be - don't force it. The easiest path is to just act like yourself. I was extremely straight-acting when I came out, but again, that wasn't an "act" - that's just how I was. As the years have gone on, I've gotten somewhat more flamboyant. Not a lot, but I do catch myself giggling and waving my hands around. :slight_smile: I'm not concerned at all by this - again, it just happened.

Lex

3. darkestknight

Be yourself, sir, and you're happy with it. Honestly, acting gay just to get girls is a very dishonest thing to do. :grin:

I'm sure girls will like you for being yourself.

4. Ty

Ty Guest

Theres nothing wrong with flamboyance nor straight-acting =] aslong as your not a dick, I don't think people should really give a damn. But saying that, people always do. I find nothing wrong with it. Some flamboyant gays are more fun I think =p

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Well, out of those two choices, it would have to be the second one. While I don't force my straight-actingness, I sometimes feel as if it is an act that I'm just too used to putting up, which is why it doesn't feel unnatural.

6. 24601

I'm pretty sure it doesn't have anything to do with getting girls, as he is gay.

But I do agree, be yourself... if that involves being a little more flamboyant, than go for it. I wouldn't force it on yourself, though, because that would be just as counterproductive in the long run as... say... forcing yourself to believe you're straight, or something. Remember, whatever you outwardly portray is what others are going to think of you as - they won't know it's an act. So, if you do decide that the flamboyancy isn't for you down the road, it might make a rather awkward transition for your friends who are now discovering you're not really who you claimed to be... If you act naturally, you avoid any complications!

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Well, out of those two choices, it would have to be the second one. While I don't force my straight-actingness, I sometimes feel as if it is an act that I'm just too used to putting up, which is why it doesn't feel unnatural.

Then "acting gay" would be just as much an act. :slight_smile:

Again, I'd say relax and just be you. As time goes on, I'm betting the same thing will happen to you - you'll starting "acting" more gay naturally. No need to force it.

Lex

8. Psychedelic Bookmarks

If you want to be more flamboyant sometimes, I would go for it. It may feel wierd at first and you may be nervous about others' responses, but in the end, you have to just be yourself. If your straight-acting is an "act", then it might help you to break through it a bit more. Who knows, others may like you better once they see a new side to you.

9. Hepcat

No there's nothing wrong with it. Act that way if you feel you want to. :icon_bigg

10. sexyalex

that's what i would have said :grin:

11. darkestknight

I'm a little bit flamboyant too. I don't think many people notice me being that anyway.

Before that I acted straight, but upon discovering that i'm bi, i'm still partially straight too.

So I just happen to be myself and I'm proud of it. hahaha.:grin:

12. Steam Giant

In person, the only way people would know that I'm not straight is if I told them. Online, it's a completely different story. I feel that I tend to act a lot less "manly" in my communications over the net. I suppose I just don't feel comfortable enough acting this way in person, so I tend to do it in a much more impersonal manner. Which...has a lot of people mistakening me for a girl! Haha!

13. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Firstly, WANTING to act a certain way isn't necessarily wrong. Now, bottom line, just act yourself. If acting stereotypically straight is truly who you are, then there's nothing wrong with that. If being flamboyant is who you are, then be flamboyant.

Just be you!! :slight_smile: