1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Commenting on straight people

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Awkward Balloon, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Awkward Balloon

For us LGB people, we are often going to have crushes on heterosexual people. But I have recently realized that some straight people, at least the ones my age, are not very comfortable with someone of the same sex finding them attractive. Because of this I am forced to only voice my thoughts on the looks of complete strangers, for the reason that there is no way they will ever hear what I say about them.
    What I can't understand is why somebody would be uncomfortable with someone finding them attractive, because that is clearly a compliment?

Sorry if I didn't explain my thoughts very well, but I was just wondering if anybody else experiences the same thing?

2. jeanie

jeanie Guest

I feel the same way, to the point where I get uncomfortable stating that someone's attractive even when I know they'll appreciate it (or won't find it gross). It's just awkward to me. I don't to want to casually comment on someone's looks and then have them think it means I want to have sex with them or anything like that - which is what a lot people do if they know you're gay.

3. JBWat

JBWat Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Perhaps it comes from people not being completely comfortable with homosexuality, or maybe some misgivings about who we want sex from ( it's like they're confused about the fact that just because we find them attractive, doesn't mean we want to rip their clothes off.) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

4. Formality

Well. I think it's because if we are attracted to someone physically we often act differently around them. If I talk to someone I am attracted to that is straight I am often very awkward.

5. prism

I try to put myself in their shoes.

I am not sexually attracted to men, so when one of my guy friends confesses that they have liked me for a while, I feel a little uncomfortable. I question everything that they've done for me as a friend and wonder if their friendship was genuine, or if they were just trying to get with me.

6. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I have a good friend who's exceptionally attractive, and the fact that I think he's attractive is a running joke between us. In addition to that, there's been times where I thought a friend of one of my friends was attractive, and that friend of mine told their friend a guy thought they were attractive. All of them said they were flattered. Some straight people probably do get uncomfortable knowing someone of the same sex thinks they're attractive, but in my experience, the guys around here tend to take it in stride. :slight_smile:

7. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I do it anyways. Yeah, it makes them uncomfortable but they should probably get over it. I don't care what straight men think of me, I hate them all anyways. : P

8. I don't know how to feel about this. You could say it stems from general discomfort with homosexuality but then again I feel awkward when girls find me attractive, so I don't think I can judge.

9. LoveMusicPoetry

I was thinking about this very thing earlier.I have a bit of a crush on a straight girl. I would never say anything to her that made her think I was into her because I wouldn't want to make her uncomfortable. I'd actually like to tell her that I think she is beautiful and clever and that I really like her, not to hit on her or anything...I mean I would like to, but I don't want to tell her for that reason. I'd just like to tell her because I really like her and I'd like to be able to say nice things to her. I don't think she'd be very comfortable though if I did so I'll keep my mouth shut and play it cool.

Some, and I'm only saying some, but there are some straight people who would absolutely freak out if they found out that someone of the same sex liked them. Especially women with lesbians I have found. Some women are just absolutely shit scared that they're gonna get hit on. Not saying it's everyone but I have come across it a fair old bit...In my heterosexual disguise I mean. I've only just come out so I haven't experienced it from this side of the fence yet.

#9 LoveMusicPoetry, Mar 10, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  10. BornInTexas

I don't get it, either. I wish they would take it as a compliment as I do with women I don't know telling me that I am attractive and cute or something. I guess it has something to do with masculinity? Or comes with the area. Not sure what factors into this.

11. Yes, yes, and yes. One thing that sucks about being in a school no openly gay/bi guys, is that I have to hold my tongue before giving a guy a compliment

12. SeerOfHeart

I guess some people are just uncomfortable with things they aren't used to. I don't understand it personally, but to each their own.

What I really don't get, though, is when "I'm not straight" becomes "I have crush on everyone of my own gender."

Um, no? This isn't even CLOSE to the truth. Do you like every person of the opposite gender? No? Then how the hell did you jump to this conclusion, that's what I wanna know.

13. A-freaking-men! Some guy warned me (I'm not yet) that if I have a gay friend, he'll touch my penis when I'm not looking.

14. BornInTexas

I keep thinking about how people come to that conclusion. Your post makes SO MUCH SENSE! AHH!

Good on you. :thumbsup:

15. FemCasanova

Most of the time, when I hit on a girl or do some random flirting, it doesn`t seem to matter whether they are straight or not, they`ll still be smiling big when I leave. Guess it depends on whether the subject is a female or a male, and how you do it :wink: Guess I flirt in a very non-threatening way, lol. I like random flirting, of the more innocent "I acknowledge that you are pretty" kind of way. Though, that was back when I was single. Particularly cashier people in stores, because it`s fun to enter some place, see a chick that`s obviously really tired at the end of her shift looking all grim and serious, and then when you walk out of there she`s all lit up and smiling. That made my day, lol!

16. Monocle

Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it depends on the tone. Even when I thought I was straight, I didn't mind getting hit on by girls. I was flattered (okay, there may have been butterflies. I was in denial!). But I think, whether its the same or the opposite sex coming onto you, it can be uncomfortable if you just don't see them that way. I've had men and women hit on me and if I don't like them, it's awkward and uncomfortable. Nothing to do with orientation.

17. June Cleaver

Because you are around teenagers. When you get my age 40 and when I let a compliment get out of my mouth about a straight guy. He almost always gets ideas in his head and quickly acts on the chance. I never have never had one get mad yet. In stead quite quickly they think if I do certain sexaul favors for them, they are not cheating because I am not a woman on the outside, but they are not being gay because I am not a man either plus they arn't touching my body. Guys my age justify all sorts of things a 14yo straight would NEVER DO. At 14 you have not had the rude awakening of the real world. At our age most have had their GF or wife for years and she has long quit puting out regularly. So I must be easy and they want to get off = a win win to them. That has been my experence with letting a straight guy know I think he is the most. Every time I do it for one, it turns out a desaster BTW they always seem to go nuts and want it all the time, and a few times I have had them leave their wives for me as crazy as that sounds. June

18. Aubu

Out Status:
    A few people
    I see heterosexual people compliment each other all the time on attractiveness no matter their sex. They do it to try to be positive and uplift others. I think some heterosexual people exaggerate when someone of the same sex, but have a different sexual orientation compliments them. You tell some of them that they're gorgeous and they think you want to stalk them or that you wont respect their boundaries. Or they don't agree with the idea of people to being gay. Or it may be something different for them to find out someone of a same sex likes them. Etc.

Some 14 year old people still treat each other like they have cooties. In high school I remember even if you were someone of the opposite sex that didn't fit the in crowd and you like someone in a certain crowd and it was found out you could be made fun of it for that. It could be that people that seem to be opposite or they don't fit the norm of a certain group that make others uncomfortable.

#18 Aubu, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  19. Zmajcek

Zmajcek Guest

It depends on the person. I avoid making comments on other guys' appearence if I don't know them too well and they know I'm gay. I don't want them to get the wrong idea is all. But if it is a friend, then I openly make comments about them looking good or even sexy sometimes. Trust me, most people love hearing compliments deep inside and it doesn't matter who it comes from, as long as it is meant in a good and harmless way.

Everyone needs a boost of confidence every now and then, after all :slight_smile:

20. Joe54321

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find my best friend very attractive and he knows it, it's a tool I use to wind him. On a serious note, if your openly gay/lesbian/bi and ask a straight boy/girl out the worst they are going to say is no.