1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thinking of dying my hair

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BornInTexas, Mar 10, 2013.

1. BornInTexas

Myself in my avatar. My hair is brown. I know the picture isn't the best, and I am in the process of taking another one.

I am thinking of dying my hair red. What shade of red would be good for this?

2. Rivers

Perhaps a dark red will do. Don't go around with flaming red hair. :lol:

3. izzyblue1456

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Red would be really cool.

4. BornInTexas

Definitely not flaming red! Could you provide a picture of the kind of dark red you are talking about?

5. FemCasanova

Just try to find one that looks not too drastically different from the shade of your eyebrows, and it will look the best and most natural. I usually go with dark red, because mine are pretty dark, so lighter shades looks very fake. If you`ve got lighter eyebrows, you can do lighter shades, but possibly not too dark. Also, your skin-tone looks like it would look better with shades going from red to orange, not so much with the shades that go from red to purple. You have warm red, that`s all the colors between blood red and orange, and then you got cold red, when it goes from plum/peach/red to purple, and you should choose a warm red, I think.

:slight_smile: Good luck!

6. Minx

Blood red, that dark artery blood red. :grin:

7. FemCasanova

Love that :icon_bigg

8. BornInTexas

Damn computer of mine. Could either of you provide a picture as an illustration? I have gone to like three different websites and they all appear to have different colors as the "blood artery dark red" shade.

9. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing to keep in mind that in order to color dark brown hair, you'll have to bleach it lighter. That's basically how dyes work, they must be darker than the underlying hair in order to really show up (if you were to dye dark brown hair blue without bleaching, at best you'd get a verrrry subtle blue sheen to it, but it would still look brown).

Just keep that in mind, as bleaching dark brown hair usually produces a light dishwater blond (unless you bleach it a lot), which will affect the final color after you dye the bleached hair. You should work with a stylist to figure out which color would look best, as some shades will look really shitty unless you're starting with light-blond (almost white).

10. FallenAngel

FallenAngel Guest

Agreed! A dark red would look nice!

11. Jared

I would go for an auburn red. Here's a pic of someone with your hair color who dyed it red.

Attached Files:

12. FemCasanova

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2013 at 11:08 PM ----------

Those are some of my fave colors, if you want something looking even more natural I would go for a warm reddish color like this:

[​IMG]

Or this warm reddish orange color

[​IMG]

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2013 at 11:10 PM ----------

[​IMG]

This was also very nice!

---------- Post added 11th Mar 2013 at 11:11 PM ----------

[​IMG]

Warm blood red :wink:

#12 FemCasanova, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  13. BornInTexas

That last one looks nice. I'll save the picture and take it to my hair stylist later on in the week to show her what I want. And thank you =D

14. MichaelB

Just a warning, but dying your hair is an incredibly damaging thing to do and no-one seems to voice the correct concerns.

The dye itself does damage your hair follicles, right down to the very root. This takes time to remove, and the only way to remove it is by growing it out. People tend to think 'oh, I'll just dye my hair a few times, it won't matter', but in actual fact, the hair will be damaged for years to come. Even if you stop almost instantly.

Secondly the colour contrast; you have dark brown hair which means for the red to apply correctly, you will have to bleach it in some form, even if it's mild. Bleaching drys both the hair and scalp out. Not exactly pleasant really.

Thirdly, you've picked a hair colour that is notorious for being difficult to maintain. Red hair literally fades almost instantly, even dark red hair. I've yet to witness anyone dye their hair red and it remain the exact same colour a week later. Thus, it means you'll be dying your hair frequently because the fading really is *that* bad. However this only really applies to unnatural colours, ergo red/blue/orange etc. The more natural colours stay in longer, but even they fade and since you have dark brown hair, the only noticeable colour would be blonde.... which is *incredibly* damaging to acquire.

I'm not trying to be a pessimist, but I just wished I had someone voice these concerns to me when I started dying my hair. When I was 13 or so, I went through the stereotypical emo/punk/scene phase, and started dying my hair manically. I went every colour possible, did shit loads to my hair and basically did not stop attacking it until I was 16 and decided to stop because I noticed severe change in my hair texture/thickness.

I went from having moderately thick hair to damaged and balding thin hair, and the effects are still with me. My hair is still a lot thinner than it ever used to be, and I haven't dyed my hair in 2 years now. I ultimately regret dying my hair a lot, so... just a warning, please be 100% sure you want this.

15. BornInTexas

Thank you for warning me on this. I'll look more into the damaging effects and ways I could possibly avoid long-term damaging.

Thank you!

16. MichaelB

You're welcome ;p, like I said I'm not trying to deter you from what you want to do, but I simply wish someone told me all the negatives back when I was 13. I probably would've still dyed my hair, but a lot less... I mean, there was a point where I was bleaching my hair every other week, sometimes every week. No wonder my hair reacted the way it did haha.

Oh and I've thought of another one, but a more rare side effect is that dye can sometimes permanently change a persons hair colour because it's changed the follicles in such a way. I used to have much lighter hair, and now the hair dye is starting to finally be grown out completely it's coming back lighter, but when I stopped dying, initially my roots were black.

Like, I'm talking serious black. I used to have quite blonde hair (on a scale from 1 being black to 10 being white, I was about a 7/8), and then all of a sudden my hair was coming through at a 2/3. From 16 to 18 though, my roots have been getting lighter and lighter and I think I'm finally going back to my natural hair colour, but it was a long process that I didn't enjoy.

It happened to my sister too; we had the same hair colour, she dyed hers even lighter and when she stopped dying it, her hair come through an orangey ginger colour. To this day, it still looks kinda ginger and she stopped dying her hair a good 4 years ago at least. So... yeah, you might even get a permanently different hair colour as a result. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. FemCasanova

Some people seem to have hair that takes more damage from dye, but in most cases this isn`t a problem. I have dyed my hair black or red since I was 14 and my hair is neither damaged nor gotten thinner. They used to make dye with a lot of damaging stuff, but nowadays the dyes are a lot more gentle to the hair, and few experience the sort of damage you have experienced. But it does tend to variate a bit, my sister is more careful than me, because she`s got naturally thinner hair, and yet even with her it works fine as long as she takes a short break every year or so. It`s a lot safer to dye your hair now than it was, and as long as he uses conditioner, don`t use a hairdryer once a day and generally treats it well, it should be fine :slight_smile:

18. MichaelB

It's certainly true that it varies to person to person on their results and experiences, your hair will be damaged no matter what. But I agree, the damage varies from person to person.

My damage was severe because I bleached so often. However, I have one friend who has been regularly dying her hair red from medium brown since she was 13. She's 18 now, and she used to have long, thick and moderately curly hair when she was 13. However at 18, it's gotten noticeably thinner, definitely lost it's curlyness and now no longer grows past her shoulders. Unlike me who easily dyed his hair atleast twice a month, usually more, she has only dyed her hair once every 2 months or so... yet the damage is nearly as bad as mine. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I have two other friends who are twins (well, triplets but the other one is a bloke who's only dyed his hair once or twice) and both of them dye their hair manically, like me. Each time I see them, their hair is a different colour ranging from blue to pink to red to purple to blonde to black. Yet oddly, one of them has severely damaged hair which has definitely thinned, while the other has no noticeable difference in her hair texture. I mean, just using them as an example because it seems to me, dying your hair is like playing Russian roulette. It's certainly true that you might not damage your hair nearly as much to notice the effects of it, but it's equally as true that your hair could suffer long term side effects... well, at least in my own experience, after myself suffering the effects of hair dye and seeing some of my friends undergo it too. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

19. therunawaybff

It's worth it to note that if you do damage your hair (or get to the point that you don't like the color) you can always shave it down to the scalp and let it grow back in virgin. I did this a few years ago and it only took a few months for it to grow back to a decent length. The virgin hair came in just as full and healthy as my original hair before I dyed it. I was a bit of a rocker in college, so it's been all sorts of colors.

I just wore a cowboy hat for awhile until it grew back. No biggie.

20. I'd go with a pretty dark shade.