1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am losing my mind

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BillCozby, Mar 11, 2013.

1. BillCozby

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok so i'm a 19 year old male graduated high school a year ago and im still stuck in the position i was in 7 months ago.I don't have a license a job and i do not go to school.My mother insists on me going into the air force and im studying to take the test next Saturday(practice test).Anyway the problem is she called me asked me what i was doing (because my father always leaves he house to do drugs) and i told her i was playing video games.After that she said your not going on the internet to talk to people outside of the country(because she caught me talking to one of my friends in Spain on a gay chat months ago). I want to move out and just never see this woman again but the issue i have is no one is helping me.No one is helping me learn how to drive no one helped me find what colleges i could possibly apply to..This Air Force option is a good option to consider but I heard the process takes forever and I want to move out ASAP.I was considering going to community college but i would need a car to get there.I am loosing my mind in this house.I dont answer my telephone once and then all of a sudden my mother goes batshit insane and starts questioning me about who ive been talking to and what websites ive been visiting on my telephone.She is suffocating me and i need to get far away from this woman ASAP.:tears:

2. castle walls

That sounds pretty rough. Have you tried talking to your mother and telling her that you're an adult now?

The issue is that it doesn't look like you'll be able to move out right away (unless you have some savings that you didn't mention). You'll have to save money for the move, find a new place to live, have enough money to pay bills, and so on. Before you move, I'd recommend that you have enough money to pay your bills for a few months in case an emergency happens. That should lower the chance of you having to move back home. I realize it takes more time to save up that amount of money but there is no point in moving out if you'll just end up back at home in two months. It will be a huge waste of money and then you'll have to start over. Do you have any friends that you can movie in with to make things cheaper?

As for the Air Force thing, is that something you actually want to do or are you only doing it to move out of the house? It can be difficult to find a job, especially if you have a limited work history. I'd suggest going over your resume again. Just double check that it is the way you want it and see if there are any areas that could be improved. If there is anyone else that can look over your resume that'd be great. They may have volunteers at a library or community college that can help you out with that.

How do you prepare for interviews? Have you looked up common interview questions and prepared answers? I recommend trying to tailor your answer to the specific job that you're applying for. You may also want to look into the company before you go into your interview. Your knowledge may impress the individual interviewing you.

Have you been to a temporary work agency? It may not bring in a lot of cash but some cash is better than no cash. It is possible that you could get a full time job out of visiting a temporary work agency if they really love your work.

Where have you been applying? I recommend looking at grocery stores, fast food restaurants, other restaurants, malls, other stores, schools, coffee shops, and so on. A lot of these places you can apply online. For the places that do not have online applications, make sure you bring a copy of your resume and dress well (no jeans) when you go to speak to them. If you don't hear anything back, apply again later. I know at some stores you can apply every 90 days. You also may want to try to going for a walk and then applying at the places you see.

As for transportation, how have you been getting around so far? Is there a form of public transportation that you can take?

As for community college, I'd recommend going within the next few years. I think you may have trouble five or ten years from now if you don't have a degree of some sort. I'm assuming that you're from the USA. If you're not, then ignore the example in this paragraph. According to Georgetown, by 2018 51% of Louisiana's (the state that will have the least amount of jobs that require a college degree) jobs will require a college education. Community college may be more affordable than you think. You could always try meeting with a counselor and discussing your options. It could be possible for you to work and go to school part time. Although I recommend going to college, you don't have to worry about it right this second. It is just something that I think you should keep in mind.

It sounds like living at home sucks. Despite that, you want to make sure that you make the right decisions for you in the long run and not decisions based on how anxious you are to leave. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help you.

Good Luck!

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I tried going to the air force and was denied for medical purposes. But if you're militarily inclined at all, do it. USAF is totally the way to go. The job market's crashing, and you want to be in a cushy government job where you get a million benefits and don't have to sit in a foxhole, which is more likely in Army or Marines.

You do need to score higher on the ASVAB to get in, but if you get it, I hear they're looking for aircraft maintenance staff especially.

4. starfish

I have a friend in the Air Force. He does aircraft maintenance.

I wouldn't call it cushy, he does have to work, but it is not a bad gig.

5. newgirl31

I know it is super painful but it sounds like your mom is taking her own issues out on you. If your dad uses then she is probably feeling helpless over that and since you are home she tries to control you more to feel better.

One of my parents is addicted to alcohol so I went to Al Anon for a few months. There were lots of women there that had turned into...umm...trying to think of a better way to say it but basically they became crazy control freaks. Because I am a child of an addict, I fall into other typical behaviors it helped to see others overcome.

I found a forum for Nar-Anon that I bet you could find some support too. Probably if you just post you are "a child dealing with an addicted dad and an overly controlling mom" you might get more specific advice on how to possibly communicate with your mom.
    Nar-Anon Support Forum

Feel free to message me too! Hang in there. (*hug*)

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Comparatively cushy I guess, compared to other armed forces. Of course you still have to keep in top shape and do an excellent job, but they don't call it the "chair force" for nothing. My AF recruiter mentioned that airmen at a certain deployment were the only ones with a permanent, air conditioned building while the Army guys got to sleep in tents. And better yet, they got "substandard living" pay because it still wasn't up to par. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: