1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Gay Christians (warning: a little long)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by wonderingdave01, Mar 11, 2013.

?

My question is Gay Christians, do you sometimes worry that being LGBT is a sin, and y

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  2. No, I'm 100% confident that being LGBT is not a sin!

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  3. Other (state below)

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. My question is Gay Christians, do you sometimes worry that being LGBT is a sin, and you might end up in Hell?

First off, this is going to be a little long. Let me start by saying that I'm Catholic. In the Catholic religion, being gay/bi is a sin. I finally accepted myself when I was 16 1/2 but now I'm starting to become conflicted again. I know most Christians don't confess their sins to a priest (and please let's not get into that debate) but I've been going to confession lately.

In the Catholic Church you have to confess every sin you've made since your last confession, and if you intentionally leave anything out the confession becomes invalid and you stay in a state of sin.

I used to leave out being bisexual because I didn't think it was a sin anymore, but now just to play it safe I confess it anyway as if it were any other sin. Now, I'm back to the conflicted stage again. I still accept myself but I have my doubts.

#1 wonderingdave01, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 11, 2013
  2. Naren

When I was a christian, I wondered if I'd go to hell for being trans/bi. But I came to the realization that if "God" had wanted me different, he would have created me the way he wanted. And honestly, it's not a sin. There are far, far worse things you can do that "God" supposedly forgives you for. :slight_smile:

Atheist now.

3. prism

I'm Catholic as well. Granted I probably have not been to confession since my Reconciliation, I would not consider being LGBTQ a sin.

I try to approach The Bible from a historical standpoint. It was written by several individuals and groups of people over the course of 1400-1800 years. The earliest portions of the New Testament were written years after Jesus' death, so very little, if any of the content, is the "Word of God." It was written by humans, whose flaws and mistranslations have manifested into The Bible we have today.

The stories I learned growing up shaped my morality and spirituality, but they were always just stories to me. If you study any theology, you'll immediately be able to draw parallels between stories in the New Testament and stories in the Tanakh, many of which draw from legends in Greek mythology.

Just be a good person. Treat others with respect and be considerate of their beliefs.

Hope this helps!

#3 prism, Mar 11, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  4. castle walls

Based on what we know about being a sexual minority, I don't believe that a benevolent God could condemn us. Also, in case anyone hasn't seen it, this is a video by Mathew Vines that discusses the bible verses used against the LGB community. It is a bit long but totally worth the watch

[YOUTUBE]ezQjNJUSraY[/YOUTUBE]

5. Rogue

as far as I know for all Religions: If you Don't Harm people Mentaly or Physicaly then you're not commiting a sin.

For loving the same Gender is not a sin.

6. Fiddledeedee

When I was a Christian still, I didn't generally worry about it at all after the first month of accepting my sexuality. There was one time when after Bible camp I wondered again if it was sinful (Aldrick's amazing post on the matter helped me out of that), and it came up when I was becoming an atheist as a way in which I had been conditioned to think of myself as inherantly sinful, but that's all.

This is another excellent post about homosexuality and the Bible, including Paul's views, by someone from another forum. Recommended reading indeed. Oh, and for those of you who aren't in a place to access YouTube, this is a transcript of Matthew Vines's talk.

Nowadays I can't answer the poll, though, since I've lost my religion and faith.

7. Unknown5

Unknown5 Guest

I do worry sometimes, but I know that I was created bisexual, and that the bible says all are created equally