1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I am now an expert on God.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SupremeEmperor, Mar 13, 2013.

1. The greatest prejudices against LGBT people always seem to come from the religious, particularly clergy. From preists forced to parrot the church's line to Baptist ministers who think getting a degree in "theology" from a two-bit, not accredited college in the backwoods of Alabama makes them an expert on God's plan for all humans. I am proud to say I have joined this proud tradition. I have found an Internet church that ordained me (for free in under 5 minutes) and thus am now Rev. SupremeEmperor. Everything I say is the word of God and anyone who disagrees with me will burn in hell.

2. Quaiv

Great! Do they ordain atheists too? I'd like to join :grin:

Edit : "The Universal Life Church is the only religious and spiritual denomination in the world that opens its door to all and welcomes all who ask to get ordained, granting ordination without questions as to religious and spiritual beliefs." Perfect.

#2 Quaiv, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2013
  3. BudderMC

Technically, being a minister wouldn't make you an "expert" on God, just a man of God.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Absolutely correct.

Unfortunately, though, many fundamentalist ministers seem to think they know God better than God knows himself.

5. Dalmatian

Yep. The brightest and most accomplished of theologians I ever spoke to were also the ones who repeatedly said something like: "I've devoted my life to studying the mystery of God. It is my goal to try to understand as much as He meant for us to be able to understand".

And then there are those local ministers who go more along the lines of: "Is your neighbour different than most people in our community? Let me explain why it's ok by God to hate them."

Btw, SupremeEmperor, congrats. Hopefully, this will not change your otherwise humble rhetoric.

6. Xianghua

Run, children, run!

7. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Does he say this to avoid sounding overly ambitious, or because he thinks some things knowable are not meant to be known? The second interpretation sounds highly irresponsible and would slow the progress of technology considerably if shared by everyone.

I support the quick and easy ordination :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: only because anybody who finds *true* peace in religion (aka not being force-fed opinions and life goals) can be called an expert in God.

8. Ticklish Fish

wait, there's a difference between accredited theology schools?

9. Fiddledeedee

I disagree with the concept of ordination so I will start my own church that doesn't recognise your status as Reverend. You heretic!!

10. thegaymer

Can I join? I wanna sell indulgences and start a holy war because your god said it would be a good idea. And lets accuse people of being witches so we can drown them.

11. Dalmatian

A smart enough individual will always recognize that for (Christian) God to be possible, it has to be incomprehensible, not in the "do not question" sense, but in an intrinsic sense. Also, confronted with the huge pile of ridiculousness proclaimed by men of God through the ages, such a man must see that any human interpretation is susceptible to faults.

Anyway.. this specific guy I meant of when I quoted the above is the scholar type, very smart and learned and a priest (highly positioned though).

It's always sad to see bright people limiting themselves.. like the story of that accomplished geologist who knew that Earth was billions of years old, but then chose to mark all science, his own work and studies and everything, simply wrong; just because the truth was that Earth is 6k years old and if science produced different results, it is the faulty side. Sad.

So, yeah, church views, after giving it an initial push centuries ago, generally slow science down.

12. When I said 'unaccredited' I meant not accredited by any of the real accreditation organizations (the ones that real colleges go to for accreditation).

---------- Post added 13th Mar 2013 at 06:09 PM ----------

I know countless unqualified clergymen who claim total expertise. To argue with them is to resign oneself to hell.

---------- Post added 13th Mar 2013 at 06:11 PM ----------

My rhetoric will not change in the slightest. Except you will all be required to accept it as the infallible word of God.

13. prism

14. Bob is a Christian.
    He learns his friend does not believe exactly what he does.
    And might even be [gasp] gay.
    Instead of accepting his friend (which Jesus would've wanted)
    Bob declares, quite publicly, that his no-longer-friend is doomed to hell.
    Fuck off Bob.

15. Devious Kitty

Why the dichotomy? Why is it assumed here that the only two options are to let them believe whatever and not respond or be an asshole?

16. https://www.facebook.com/atheistsandrationalthinkers

The funny thing is, these are people claiming 'equality', while being explicitly anti-religion, calling it a virus and 'comedy for the intelligent'. It puts people into one of two categories:
    1. Intelligent
    2. Religious
    It's very upsetting. I wish people would just be open minded, or at least just mind their own business.

17. castle walls

It is incredibly rare on this website for someone to respectfully disagree with religion. The person usually resorts to mocking every single person that adheres to said religion and often times ends up acting just as bad, if not worse, than the people that they are supposedly so superior to. There is a difference between respectfully disagreeing with a religion and mocking every person that follows that particular faith. With all that being said, I am religious and I found SupremeEmperor's post to be quite amusing.

I agree. It is possible to be both intelligent and religious. I believe that I fit that bill. When some of my friends found out that I was a Christian, they usually stared at me in shock. They often said something along the lines of ". . . but you're actually smart." In fact, most people think that I'm an atheist when they first meet me. A lot of people believe stereotypes and believe that all Christians must act a certain way. Personally, I don't understand why because if all Christians acted the same way then there wouldn't be so many different denominations of Christianity.

Contrary to popular belief, not all Christians are pro-life, anti-LGBT, death penalty loving, judgmental, intolerant, hypocritical jerks. When most people find out that I'm a Christian, pro-choice and support gay marriage, it blows their mind.

Random fact about Christianity that you may not know: Not all Christians worship Jesus. That is actually a common misconception. For example, Jehovah's Witnesses are Christians. They see themselves as Christian but they do not worship Jesus. At least, if they follow the official teachings they don't. A Christian is someone that follows the teachings of Christ or a religion based on the teachings of Christ. At least, that is what the American Heritage Dictionary, Chambers Dictionary, Collins Dictionary, Oxford Dictionaries, Longman Dictionary, and Merriam Webster say.

I've thought about making a thread about the misconceptions about Christians but I'm not sure if anyone would be interested

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think that could be interesting, and I imagine others would think so, too.

19. Emberblaze

I disagree with BOTH of you bigots and your depraved internet "religions"! I'm going to start and army and destroy you both and kill everything you love... With Christ, love, and mercy of course (*hug*)

20. remainnameless

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well this just got intense.

But really, SupremeEmporer? We'll see how long this one lasts XD