1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you take it when a straight person called you a fag?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by TSN2012, Mar 13, 2013.

1. TSN2012

I mean, of course it would be natural for us gay people to get mad if the person uses the word to directly 'offend you' on purpose. But, for instance, what if it is someone (your best friends or brothers) who knows that you are gay and still care/love you.
    Basically, only my dad and my brother know that I'm gay and both are totally accepting and loving. My dad doesn't use these kinds of words with me. But my brother, on the other hand, like to say things like 'you know you are my favorite fag' or 'i know you like them pink cause you're a fag!' (when i was shopping for clothes, for instance) or 'hahaha fag! and your taste sucks cause matt bomer is a lot hotter' when i get excited seeing Josh Hutcherson picture. I never find what he's doing offensive (btw, he's a big white collar fan incase you watch the show).
    In fact, this might sound weird, but i actually like it a bit when he uses the word 'fag' with me because it shows that he doesn't "feel awkward" about my sexuality or see that it's something that he shouldn't be talking or joking about or mention, like how some parents know that their child is gay but they don't acknowledge it and pretend like their child isn't homosexual. Instead, it makes me feel like my brother is really accepting and doesn't see that being a 'fag' is something to be ashamed of or have to be kept quiet.

So..what about you guys? Do you feel the same?

2. TheUglyBarnacle

I can't relate but I guess that's the way I'd feel, too.

3. Xianghua

Since I'm not super out, no one's ever really called me a faggot...

But I have a VERRRRRY out gay male friend, and he says it only bothers him, when they know the origin of the word "faggot", and are deliberately trying to be a dick. "Of course, there are times when I am actually being a faggot, so you know, whatever."

4. Kay

Kay Guest

I would not have much of a problem with a friend a real friend saying most things. Fag i kind of resent though. I may have more difficulty with this term than most others.

5. leer

dont have a grate problem being called gay or other words from my mates ''I know they just winding me up '' and I can & do give it back .

6. BornInTexas

My brother does it all the time. He says 'fag' and 'queer' if I do something like pulling a limp wrist for a quick second. If you call them out on it, and throw something right back in their face, they'll stop for sure. I just haven't found a permanent solution.

7. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would tell them to fuck themselves, but it wouldn't really bother me that much more than any insult. I'm not any more sensitive to gay-specific insults than I would be to general-insults.

8. 461 467

It all depends on context and intent. If someone says it to be rude and insulting, then it's offensive. If someone says it in a humorous or affectionate sort of way, then it's fine.

9. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Agreed.

I've never been called a fag before (in offensive terms), but I'm usually called a dyke. That one really fucking irritates me though. No matter the 'context'. It bothers me because I know I'm not passing as male, and it's still an offensive term no matter how you use it.

I think if some guy called me a faggot though, like in an offensive way, I'd just say some witty reply like "I know that's what you and your dad are". But my friends joke around and we call each other fags and stuff, just in a joking manner. I can't explain it.

10. BudderMC

It's actually one of the few words I'll be offended by, no matter who really says it.

11. All Star

All Star Guest

Depends on who's saying it, and how. If my family/friends say it in a friendly way, no problem.

Somebody I don't know or someone who doesn't like me says it? Yea, I take offense and just tune it out the best I can, because I'm not ashamed of who I am.

12. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I no longer see queerness as offensive. It's as if somebody called me "tall" in an effort to insult me. Not that there are any good comebacks to shut them up, but it's ineffective if they're looking to hurt my feelings.

Doesn't mean they aren't complete dicks for saying so, but what are you gonna do? :/

13. oneday

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I find it completely offensive, no matter who says it or the context. The word has a negative and hateful association, so why promote it by using it in a fun/joking manner?

14. All Star

All Star Guest

If only.... :lol: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

15. Adarya

I have yet to gain the experience because of not being out of the closet, but in the future I hope I just have the sense to walk away and forget about it. Words can only really affect you when you allow them to.

16. Caliber

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not out yet but some people have guessed and called me it, i just ignore it and think, im not hitting on you, im not hurting you so shut the hell up

17. Crystine

Crystine Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    And I always thought I was the only one :lol: I love it when my best friend offends me because I know that she's comfortable with my sexual orientation and that she really doesn't care who I fall in love with (and that really does mean the world to me) :slight_smile:

18. hello1992

if it is meant to hurt me, then i will be pissed of. But thats more in principle, to be hoenst i am very hard to offend and i dont give a crap if someone calls me something unless they were one of my friends.

19. Dalmatian

It would depend on how it's said. I'm used to being respected, so it would hurt me if someone used it offensively. On the other hand, I hope I'll never hear it in such way from someone close to me. So, if it was used in an affectionate way or jokingly, I don't think there is anything someone could call me for me to be offended.

Also, I see that some of you here find the word offensive for its associations, which I'm not familiar with and will try to find out about. But, English is not my native language, so whatever anyone would use to call me would likely be in Croatian. With that in mind, the above stands.

20. Eric

If someone's being exceptionally confrontational and is calling me a faggot, I'm not going to take kindly to it. But generally, no, I don't get offended by it, and my friends call me a faggot all the time. It's sort of become a weird affectionate name, I suppose. The power of the word to me is in the context, not simply in its use.

That's not to say I go around calling people faggot, because I do recognize that it's a word a lot of people are offended by, like all slurs. :slight_smile: