1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Increase in trans threads?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Caudex, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Caudex

Caudex Guest

I don't know if it's just me, but ever since the redesign it seems to me that more posts have become about trans stuff.
    Do you agree?
    (I'm not saying it's bad, I'm just curious.)

2. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

The redesign definitely made those threads more evident, what with the new "Gender Identity" tag, but I think they were there before the redesign. That said, I think there has definitely been an increase in threads about trans topics, but it's been happening for a while now. Personally, I attribute it to our search engine optimization efforts, e.g. changing the title of the website from "Empty Closets" to what it is now, which brought us more online visibility.

3. DarkClarity

I've noticed it too and I think it's a great thing. I'm not trans myself but I feel that I've learnt about trans issues, the treatment process, and the discrimination that they face from both inside and outside the LGBT community from some of the threads.

4. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The Thread I posted about the Trans Scottish Guy, seemed to have had a lot of our Trans Brothers & Sisters, contributing there point of views & I think I learned a lot about the Trans world & about the issues that they face, unfortunately the debate got a bit heated & had to be closed down, I would like to thank all of the Trans people that contributed to the debate & thank you for educating me about, the issues that Trans people face (&&&)

5. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes, there has been an increase in threads being posted on trans* issues, which makes me happy. There's also been what I feel an increasing number of very active trans* members, which also makes me happy.

I feel like this is a great time to remind everyone that Empty Closets is a community for trans* people too, and before posting on threads dealing with trans* issues, it pays to do your homework in advance. In particular, be sure to research common stereotypes and don't ask questions about them unless you're referencing a question specific to your research. Also, please research the political issues they face that are unique to them, as well as understand how red-herring arguments used again protective legislation which is trans*-inclusive (i.e. the Bathroom Argument) hurt all of us.

I also recommend a course in privilege and intersectionality.

6. June Cleaver

We are here! June

7. SkyDiver

It changed? :icon_conf What is it now?

8. Niko

I've noticed it too. I think it's awesome though. :grin: The tag names make it easier to see what the person is trying to ask help on. And others who aren't trans*, can learn more about trans* issues.

#8 Niko, Mar 14, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  9. Ianthe

I think that the increased visibility of trans threads has made trans people feel more comfortable here.

But I also agree with Owen that the search engine optimization was already bringing more diverse people here. Not only more trans people, but also more women, and more older people, and other groups that have traditionally been minorities on EC. Some of the things in the redesign were in recognition of that.

10. rabbit1

rabbit1 Guest

i think its great, and nice to see. now questions can be answered, and asked.
    great great

11. Naren

"What are they all staring at?"
    "It's me, I'm extremely famous."

Why are people typing it as "trans*" now?

12. rabbit1

rabbit1 Guest

i agree:thumbsup:

13. Fiddledeedee

I know that in the time I've been here the active trans community has grown very much in proportion to the LGB people here, and they're even more visible with the new tags. 'Tis great!

The title of the page is the bit that displays at the top of your browser. It used to just tack "Empty Closets" onto the name of whatever thread you're browsing, but now it gives the full "Empty Closets - A safe online community for gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgeder people coming out". Because words like "transgender" are on the site more now, EC shows up better in search engine results for that term, so more trans folk find the site.

14. therunawaybff

I'm glad for the reorganization of these forums. Not all topics apply to all members here, there are many different kinds of struggles in the GLBT community that don't always apply across the board, so it's nice that they're a little bit better compartmentalized now.

But I'm glad to see trans* topics just because I don't know that much about it, and I'm also glad that there are certain trans* members who can actually be approached with questions and don't get offended when people don't know or understand something, because being told to go research something you don't know anything about when there's actual breathing people to talk to about it is pretty alienating.

#14 therunawaybff, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
  15. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

Or they could just learn by observing.

16. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People are writing it as trans* now because it is inclusive of everybody under the transgender umbrella and not just one section of the trans* community.

17. Eatthechildren

To include non-binary people :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

18. BudderMC

This.

I'm also gonna go out on a limb and say I'm a trendsetter here; I've been saying trans* (with the *) for quite a few weeks now. :thumbsup:

The increase in trans* threads, trans* member activity and overall trans* presence makes me happy. One area the community always seemed to have difficulty servicing well was trans* people and issues, so I think the overall increase in trans* stuff will help that.

19. Caudex

Caudex Guest

Can't we just change the definition of trans without an asterisk? Because it hurts my brain to look at all of those "trans*"s.

20. BudderMC

Nope. The whole point of trans* is that the * can be replaced with -gender, -sexual, etc.

If you're just calling someone trans, it doesn't mean a whole lot.

Trans* is a general term for someone who is under the trans* umbrella, similarly to how queer is a general term for anyone who is not straight.