1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poison Ivy (Oak)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by BornInTexas, Mar 15, 2013.

1. BornInTexas

I have poison ivy (oak) in the following places:

All up and down my arms and forearms
    Behind my left ear
    On my ankles
    On my elbows
    Near my shoulder
    On my knee
    and on the creese in my arms

It itches so bad, and I have been using Calamine lotion every 8 hours. Just some dabs on each part. I feel like I could take a bath in this crap, and it will not be soothed.

Anyone have ideas?

2. Take some antihistimines like benadryl.
    they also have benadryl cremes if you want to try that.

3. BornInTexas

On the benadryl creams, it says to not use on large parts of the body. I'll try some on my elbows, though. That seems to be where it is worst.

4. you can take the pills though, that should still work.

5. Have you washed the areas affected? Don't forget to really clean your fingers.
    Also try and avoid touching your skin, that may be why the rash has spread around.

6. BornInTexas

I definitely cleaned my hands, and I washed my bedsheets for two days straight, each time I slept. I also never put back on my dirty clothes, not my bedclothes, I'll wash those. I'm not sure why the thing spread so much. If it is still here monday, I am going to the doctor to see what he can probably do about it. I just took a benadryl pill. Drowsy me ;P

I'm trying not to touch my skin, which is REALLY hard when it is all over me. xD

7. June Cleaver

Scrub yourself with Dawn dish detergent. It stripps the plant's oil off your skin and stop it from spreading and dries it out. Benedrill liquid, take as directed. June

8. I've heard that rubbing alcohol works just as well.