1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prominent Gay/Lesbian Catholics Address the Pope

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Alexander, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Alexander

Read about it here.

Maybe something good will come out of this... Let's wait and see. :icon_wink

I'm sure it's going to be all over the news very soon. :icon_bigg

P.S. The organization that is sponsoring this was set up 31 years ago by Sr. Jeannine Gramick, the original Catholic fag hag and one of the most well recognized religious advocates for acceptance of GLBT rights... She also worked on this movie, which I recommend to everyone.

#1 Alexander, Mar 23, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2008
  2. Negasta

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have no time for the gay Catholics and their attempt to suck up to Ratzinger and his lackeys. It is frankly quite revolting to see these people try to pander to an institution that for centuries murdered GBLT people in the most horrific ways possible and only stopped when they lost political power. The church is also complicit in every homophobic attack committed by its followers because of its preaching that homosexuality is a mortal sin and that GBLT people are tainted by the Devil and in rebellion against God.

The Catholic Church should have been extirpated in 1945 along with the fascists that it had been so eager to support during the war and spirit away to South America afterwards. The Pope chose to support Hitler and every Catholic then and now tacitly supports this because of their belief in papal infallibility.

Every time I'm told of a church that ministers to GBLT people, I just point people to the parts of their "Word of God" that condemn every single person on this site to death.

#2 Negasta, Mar 23, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2008
  3. Alexander

I don't even want to respond to that.

4. waitingsucks

Well it's freedom of speech as well as belief. Even though the Church has a terrible past with treatment of the GLBT community, there is no good reason why we should condone people, just because they're trying to work towards a better future.

But yeah I don't want to debate about the catholic church, just congratulate the people who are trying to improve it. :slight_smile:

5. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have removed some inappropriate language from one post and I don't like the way this thread is going after only three replies.

If people want to have a calm civilised discussion then that's fine, but if we are get more posts throwing insults around or whatever then it'll be closed.

6. GlindaRose

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hopefully some good will come from this.

7. pirateninja

I don't want to start some kind of religious debate, but if we don't respect others, how the hell can we expect to get any kind of respect back?

Ditto to Heatqueen's sentiments.

8. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMFG!!!!! Gregory Maguire is addressing him!! He wrote Wicked (yay) and is an extremely articulate person. I'm certain that he will be able to present some incredible arguments and powerful words to the Pope. That makes me so happy!!!!

9. Alexander

haha that's what I said :grin: I was like, "OMG I LOVE YOU" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

10. Psychedelic Bookmarks

Well that's brave of them :lol: Personally, I think this Pope is evil... way worse than the last one. No offence to any Catholics, but I'll only expect positive reform in the Roman Catholic Church when he's gone. That's not to say I think there won't be progress after him, it's just that this guy reminds me of the demon headmaster and I'm afraid that no LGBT speakers will ever change his neolithic ways. :S But if any other Catholics watch this, it might make them feel more postiviely about LGBTs, which is just as important, really :slight_smile:

11. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have quite a few Catholic friends, and none of them like the Pope (and I don't mean to offend anybody who does). I sent this article to my best friend (who is Catholic), and she replied:

The Pope can fall off the Earth.

Anyway, :slight_smile:!

Although, you're definitely right. This could be a VERY positive step. I'm excited this is happening!

12. Tyce

I'm actually excited that this is happening too.

I love God and I'm a Catholic, too.
    Some people say this and that about the Catholic church saying that its all bad and stuff, but if you can feel that God loves you, then there's nothing to worry about.
    Yeah, It's great to know that, it would be even wonderful if the Pope said a positve comment about the Gay/Lesbian catholics, that would be just awesome!

13. Alexander

@ Helena:

While I agree that this pope isn't exactly gay-friendly, he was on the plane back from malta with Sr. Gramick, and he told her that she wouldn't be excommunicated for speaking out for gay rights, so he can't be "evil" since he has the power to silence one of the biggest catholic LGBT voices, and he chose not to.
    I actually think that JPII was worse considering our rights. That's why I'm so positive that something will come of this, even if it's a small something.

P.S. I don't like the pope either :grin: but you got whacha got.

14. Psychedelic Bookmarks

OK, he's not evil :lol: I don't actually believe a person can be evil. And it's good he doesn't think it's an excommunicationable offence. But I find him extremely tiresome and I have low expectations of him ever pleasantly suprising me, especially in this department. But, we live in hope! :wink:

15. Sam

Sam

I don't really want to say more than I hope that only good can come of this and not anything bad. I wish I could bring myself to be religious like I once was but I can't and it kind of makes me sad but I got tired of the hatred I experienced from church (I'm not catholic) but just from the church I used to go to.

16. trumpetkid23

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oooh, what you guys said about Sr. Gramick is certainly encouraging. I have a good feeling about this.