1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Taxation without representation

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RainbowMan, Mar 16, 2013.

1. RainbowMan

I just have to get something off my chest. I was reading the thread about how Rob Portman changed his stance on gay marriage (which I think it's wonderful that he's supporting his son - wonder how long that took and if MY Dad will similarly come around).

But I'm taxed without representation in New Jersey. You see, I live in NYC, and work in Jersey City, NJ (right across the river). The deal if you live in one state and work in another is that income tax liability is incurred in the state where you WORK. New York State gives me credit for taxes paid to New Jersey on my NYS return, so I'm not double-taxed (though I still have to pay NYC resident tax, which is fair). But I don't get to vote in NJ, I get to vote in NY.

So here I am, paying a majority of my state income taxes (NY is higher than NJ, so I pay a little to NY as well) to one of the most corrupt states in the country, and there's absolutely nothing I can do to stop that. What got me going is that someone in the other thread mentioned that if Chris Christie (governor of NJ) ran for President he would have won over Obama - I sure hope not, and I had NO say in making him governor of NJ either. There's tons more people in my boat that live in NYC and work for financial firms in NJ.

2. redstormrising

Those are the consequences of choosing to live and work in separate states. You CAN change it, by working and living in the same state. (I am the reverse, live in NJ and work in NYC, so I do see where you are coming from.) It does make sense to me that you pay income tax to the place where you earn the income, though - just like if you go shop in another state you pay sales tax to that state. You don't get a say in the amount of tax you pay there, either.

I am no fan of Christie, but I question your characterization of NJ as one of the most corrupt states, considering the Center for Public Integrity conducted a 50-state survey of state corruption, and NJ came out at the top of the pack for least corrupt. Grading the nation: How accountable is your state? | The Center for Public Integrity

#2 redstormrising, Mar 16, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  3. tulman

Same deal here. Lots of WI residents work in IL. I read somewhere that Aabott Labs in Lake Co. IL is Kenosha Co WI's largest employer. Corrupt states? IL 2 last governors are in prison and that place is run by a bunch of morons. Worst credit rating of all 50 states. What a joke that place is.

4. mpac21

It really is an ironic shame how often this happens in this country. Between those who work in different states from which they are resident to those who reside in the national capital. Also it should be noted that many US Citizens who reside in the colonies/territories also have this situation. In Puerto Rico for example (soon to become a state though last I heard) there is no federal income tax paid there, however Puerto Ricans do indeed pay into the Social Security and Medicare systems, in addition to other federal programs that they may not necessarily be able to utilise and yet have no voting power in Congress or right to vote for President of the United States. One can only hope that this changes in the future for all those who are affected by this sort of thing. For being a country founded because of this sort of thing, its plain awful to have it happen today.

5. RainbowMan

Well, I guess the characterization of most corrupt state comes from my experience of being a resident of Jersey City (which is why I'm no longer a NJ resident), which is fairly corrupt.

And you're right - I could live in NJ. If it weren't such a bore, I might :grin:

6. hello1992

Lol, taxation.

I guess it makes sense that you are taxed in the state that you live in. The whole point of taxation is to fund the public goods which you consume. It is therefore more likely that you will consume such services in the state where you live than where you work. Alternatively, taxes can be viewed as a means of improving welfare. The level of tax you pay is indicative of the level of welfare the state government wishes to bestow on the states residence. Your home would probably contribute to what we define as 'welfare' than where you work. Therefore ti only seems right that you contribute to welfare through taxation.

I find American corruption very odd. Corruption in America seems to come through donations for policies rather than the traditional form of bribes and extortion. Some argue that this form is less costly because it doesn't distort economic activity par se. But in my opinion, it is probably much worse. The fact that people can undermine the authority of voters by donations in the worlds most powerful country is just ridiculous. There have been a number of cases where environmental roadblocks have been lifted by presidents who have just happened to have been given large campaign donations to companies which were being threatened by these very blocks....

This type of corruption undermines voters authority and so to be honest, your vote, and everybody else's, is unlikely to make much change, especially in a two party system where there is little alternative anyway....

7. RainbowMan

100% agreed, and why I think that I should owe nothing to NJ. I consume absolutely zero services that NJ has to offer (except MAYBE the PATH - the railroad that I take to get across the river, but that's owned by the Port Authority, which is a dual-state entity, so I'm funding it from both sides).

I consume all sorts of services that NY has to offer (trash pickup, recycling, parks, etc) and don't pay nearly as much to them.

I guess I'm just becoming a bitter old man these days :grin: