1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No LGBT groups in my area?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Monocle, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Monocle

Out Status:
    Some people
    What do you do when there aren't any LGBT organizations in your area? I come from a small town, and the only groups around here are involved with the two nearby universities. I'm pretty sure they're exclusively for students of those schools. Myself, I attend a small community college with no LGBT groups at all. There are no pride parades around here and the one gay bar in our county might as well be Chernobyl.

I love talking to people online, but it'd be nice to meet other queer folks in my community. Any advice?

2. Aielar

There was only one lgbtq group in my community for adolsecents, so I started one through the college I attend. That would be my advice to you - so long as it's safe to do so, which I'm assuming is likely is given the university lgbtq groups. If that's not something you want to do, then I'd just attend one of the university groups and ask if non students can be at the meetings. Hope this helps.

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You might get in touch with those two university organizations. They may only be open to the students of those institutions, but they might be able to recommend something you don't know about. Plus there is always a remote chance that they'd allow outsiders.

4. Monocle

Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks y'all. :slight_smile:

I will try to get in touch with those student organizations and see what their exact policies are. As far as taking the initiative and starting something at my school goes, I doubt I will do that, though it's a good idea. I won't be going to that school for much longer. I'll be attending one located on the other side of the state, but I'll be taking classes online so I'll be even less likely to meet other LGBTQ folks. It's kind of a bummer, and why I want to start "networking" now.

The environment around here isn't super gay friendly. Because it's a college town, it's a bit more socially liberal than the rest of the state, but it still skews on the side of conservatism. There's really not much of a support network for people like me, not to mention it's damn near impossible to find a date when everyone's in the closet. :frowning2: