1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone get these weird moments when....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Formality, Mar 17, 2013.

1. Formality

...you feel like nothing makes sense? At times I get this really weird feeling like 'I am alive, I exist'. It's really hard to explain, but I just feel so out of place in the "universe" and I feel like nothing makes sense. This doesn't last for very long but while it lasts I get these panicky feelings and I think that I shouldn't exist and question my existence. I can't really explain it better. When I was a kid these "attacks" used to scare me. But whenever I get them nowadays I try to enhance them and stay there as long as possible. I'm just so intrigued by them I want to know more.

Does anyone else ever have these moments? What is it?

Oh, and feel free to share any other weird moments/feelings you have had here.

#1 Formality, Mar 17, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  2. mpac21

Well sometimes, when I realise there are 7 billion + on the planet, I feel really insignificant. But then i eventually see that within each person/soul there is a world in itself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: That usually resolves it for me

3. Formality

True.

Not really the feeling I was thinking of. It's more of an involuntary thing that takes over my body and just changes my vision and hearing. Usually makes my vision blurry and focused and kinda turns off my hearing. I can't describe it, but in my head I always go 'I exist. I am alive. I am real.' like it would be something so unbelievable.

4. TKM

TKM

Omg yes! Yes yes! It's usually when I start thinking about dying and being nothing I get that exact feeling, freaky! And it's just for like a couple seconds too it's just a weird feeling but I totally know what ur trying to describe!

#4 TKM, Mar 17, 2013
  5. lssantoss

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, sometimes I start to think too much and to ask myself why we have to live if we are all going to die one day... so I just go to sleep :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah a few time

7. Monocle

Out Status:
    Some people
    Yep. I get really existential and freak out a lot; I become hyper-aware of my breathing rate and heartbeat, and I think I'm gonna die. Pretty sure it's a panic attack.

8. Formality

Awesome. Yeah, it only lasts for a few seconds but it's like really intense.

---------- Post added 18th Mar 2013 at 03:19 AM ----------

It's not really a panic attack I think. It only lasts for a few seconds. I don't really feel like I am dying or anything. I just feel so out of place like I shouldn't exist and that my existense doesn't make sense.

---------- Post added 18th Mar 2013 at 03:20 AM ----------

Yup, the existence of life is kinda pointless if you think about it.

9. Otsuke

At first, I read the thread and was like : huh, no... But I seriously thought about it and sometimes, I try to figure how I would feel if I was, for example, my mother. Or this girl on the street, or that cute boy working at starbucks... And then it starts and i'm like "Well, you are Otsuke, you've done this and that..., but what if you were anyone else? Would my actions be more important or just totally different ? Would I live on the same path I do now or.. ?" There are tons of questions like that, but it's pretty rare it goes through my mind. Weird deep thoughts but still not too important to live the life YOU want to live.

10. Formality

The universe is chaotic. There are an infinite number of paths. I guess as you say, we shouldn't focus on thinking how it could have been and instead just live the way we want to.

11. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

Quite often. I'll feel like daily life in general doesn't make sense. That it's too structured and feels artificial. None of my surroundings really seem real most days, it all feels synthetic. That there's something else there, but I can't see it.

EDIT: Actually, this probably isn't what you're talking about.

#11 plasticcrows, Mar 17, 2013
  12. mariebmcd

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I often have moments like this, they are more poetic and calming though. For me, these fleeting realizations are reminders that everything will be okay and that life continues no matter how difficult or challenging it may seem at any given moment. I call them prefect moments, it's like for one split second the world slows in its rotation and you are able to visualize, hear and understand something so differly because all of the static noise has vanished. However, like I said these moments are fleeting and last only seconds. Seconds that sometimes can be misconstrued as minutes. Some sort of time warp almost...

These perfect moments used to only occur for me about 1 every 3 months or so but since I have lives on my own since August they occur more often, almost once a week. It's rare for me that it happens while someone else is present in te moment and even rarer if that person is also able to interpret the moment as I have.

Weird. But true...

13. Formality

Not exactly what I am talking about, but it's kinda in the same genre. It's really interesting, I wonder why we have these feelings.

---------- Post added 18th Mar 2013 at 03:45 AM ----------

I once had this other very weird super creepy feeling. I was sitting in the dining room in my apartment and looking up at the corner of a hallway and I could see how everything moved into another position, as if the universe was chaotic and wanted to change and I shivered and got dizzy. I can't explain it. I think I might have been hallucinating. I sometimes get hallucinations when I have a fever, I wasn't sick at this time, but the feeling reminded me of moments when I have fever dreams when I'm sick.

14. plasticcrows

plasticcrows Guest

Maybe we're losing sanity.

15. ForgottenRose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    All the time actually. lol.
    I always thought it was odd

16. Formality

I doubt that, at least on my end.

17. Tlarkul

Actually, I think I went through something like that, except it's more like I'm Jim Carey in The Truman Show; one day, when I was young, I had a bit of an existential crisis where I think that everything was fake/artificial, as in every concrete object was actually nonexistent (again, like in The Truman Show).

Nowadays, it's more like what you describe, Formality, most particularly on Sunday evenings, where thinking on a macro-scale can be distressing, and knowing that nothing one does in the world, let alone in the galaxy or the Universe, will result in a feeling of emptiness. I can assure you, however, that thinking that you live in a setting similar to The Truman Show is an even worse feeling, and it's an even more difficult mindset to get out of.

18. Chickenlover

...trees and rocks and rocks and trees and WATER!
    Yes. I get it a lot. Especially when I think about the universe and try to comprehend it. it's like I'm dizzy but...different.

19. Nyanko

Sometimes when I look in the mirror, I get this weird feeling and I see myself differently. Like, that's me? I exist, this is how a person looks...and then I see the others differently and then just say, "they exist, they're real" and then I see them in a whole other way than I usually would. Sometimes I forget that I'm not the only person on the planet.

20. SleeplessS

Yeah, lots of times, it's almost like an out of body experience. Can't explain it any other way.