1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a 'crush' to you?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Monocle, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Monocle

Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay, so crushes and what they mean have been brought up a few times in the Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity section of the forums, but the definition seems to be kinda muddy, or at least different for different people. I realize "crush" is a rather childish term for it, but sometimes it seems like the best descriptor for that giddy feeling you get when you meet someone you like. I guess other good terms for it would be "puppy love" or infatuation.

Some people describe this feeling as sexual, but for me that's a different sort of attraction. Obviously they can coincide, and for a lot of people they do, but for me they're a bit different. If I just think someone is really sexy, I'm thinking: "I definitely would like to have sex with that person, may/may not be any kind of affection there".

But if I'm crushing on someone, it's more like: "I feel boatloads of affection for this person I hardly know, I want to spend lots of time with them and get to know them, I keep picturing a white picket fence and 2.5 kids eeeven though we're practically strangers". :lol: It's just sort of an irrational giddiness and excitement around the target of my affections, and is way different from how I feel when I meet someone I like but only in a platonic way, just wanting to be friends.

So, when you meet someone new and you can't stop thinking about them, what do you call that? How do you define a "crush"?

2. justashyguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is the way I've felt crushes. They've always been unrealistic, or appear that way to me at the time.

3. 4ever Hearth

I think that's what makes the person appealing. You build them up so much in your head but weirdly enough it isn't always an expectation thing because even if you do meet them and they shatter those expectations, some part of you is thinking "Well they weren't anything like I expected.....But.....I think I want them more now. Go figure."

4. BornInTexas

Hearth summed that up. =)

5. justashyguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly. When you don't know them, you can create a personality that fits what you think of them.

6. Thatoneguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me its always been the feeling that I wanted a relationship with them, not just that they are attractive. Basically if I feel like I want to be around them and get to know them.

7. musicgeek13

musicgeek13 Guest

I never count something as a crush unless I am totally into a person. Like I can't stop thinking about them and when they're around, I feel like I am super aware of everything about them. Until I get to that point, I don't count it as a crush.

8. 4AllEternity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To me, a crush is the feeling of love, but without really knowing the person yet. So you love who you think the person is, the image of them you've built in your mind. Given time and effort, you can get to know the person and legitimize the feeling. When you've learned of or noticed any of their flaws, and can accept them, then I'd say it's love. You'll either accept their flaws (or minor incompatibilities) and continue loving them, or you'll lose your feelings for them.

9. Sexual attraction due to the other person's physical features or personality.
    To put it simply seeing one aspect of a person which yoh really like.
    None of that "love at first sight" crap, this line is just used to make sexual attraction sound better.
    Your love for a person is accepting them for much of who they are and how far you are willing to compromise for them, whether it be platonic or romantic.