1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

are you born gay/lesbian/bisexual?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MatthewJS, Mar 20, 2013.

1. MatthewJS

Me and former friend has been feuding about if you.are born LGBT or wanting to choose. Are you born with it or do you choose?

2. GayLibertarian

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Born with it, and I can't imagine it any other way!

3. Niko

Well I know for a fact I didn't choose to be Trans* nor did I choose to like guys. It all happened naturally for me. So I say you're born with it.

4. I was born bisexual. How do you CHOOSE to like anything?

Ask your friend when s/he chose to be straight!

5. BornInTexas

You're born LGBTQ. You cannot just wake up and say, "I'm gay, today." That just doesn't happen.

6. MatthewJS

My female "wanting-to-be-bi" said its a choice when I keep telling her its not a choicE! She is so ignorant.

7. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know that I was born being both pangender and gay. Looking back, I can see many times where I had attractions to women or I had gender dysphoria. I honestly don't know how I didn't figure myself out before I graduated high school.

8. Ridiculous

As everyone has said you don't choose your sexuality, but you do choose whether you're going to accept it or not, which can give other people the impression that you chose to become gay if you suddenly stop hiding yourself.

9. Dublin Boy

Dublin Boy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was born Gay & I will die Gay, I am afraid I was just made that way (it's Innate) :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I was born gay, but I didn't have a word for it until much, much later...

11. Hiems

Yup, to reiterate other posters, no logical person chooses to be gay or bisexual. I do not think that anyone would want to choose a path that involves stigmas and discrimination by virtue of your attraction - that's playing life on hard mode. Moreover, I doubt you can control who you are attracted to, but you CAN choose to live a lie by being with someone of the opposite gender to adhere to societal norms. Personally, I would rather live my life the way that it was meant to be by accepting the former.

Sidenote: There's some evidence that claims fraternal birth order affects your sexuality. Some studies state that the more brothers you have born before you, the more likely you'll be gay. And it may have to do with changes in the mother's immune system, affecting the gestation of subsequent male children. I think this applies to me, as I have 3 older brothers and one who was a stillborn. Yet I know that the findings don't apply to every LGBT person. So I don't feel like having to seek justification for my attraction - I am who I am. That's my soapbox.

12. Ianthe

Why does she want to be bisexual?

13. Hopeful

That's really interesting! What about with girls? Any sort of evidence with us??

14. MatthewJS

I don't know. She 'chose' to be bi. And she thinks I chose to be gay!

15. musikk021

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Born with it, definitely. No doubt about it. This can't possibly be a choice, as my feelings have inherently been there all my life.

16. Formality

Like someone would choose to feel miserable and depressed. Like someone would choose to be a minority. Like someone would choose to be hated by half the world. No I didn't choose it.

17. Hiems

As far I as I have read, the fraternal birth order isn't associated with same-sex attractions in females. But that isn't to say that there isn't any biological evidence whatsoever. Plus, the fraternal birth order effect doesn't conclusively explains all same-sex attraction in males, as there are some who don't have older brothers, yet identify as gay.

So just to reiterate, I don't feel the need to justify attraction - it's just a part of you, me, and anyone else out there.

18. Ianthe

If she can be attracted to both males and females, she was bisexual to begin with.

Sometimes bisexuals are confused because they have a hard time believing that everyone doesn't have the same experience they do. They don't understand that gay people really are not attracted at all to the opposite sex, and straight people really are not attracted at all to the same sex. They think that everyone has the same feelings they do. But they are wrong.

(Other sexual orientations make similar mistakes, but they aren't really relevant here.)

19. Tetraquark

Tetraquark Guest

Well, it's not a choice, but I also don't think we are necessarily born LBGTQ either. Our orientation and gender most likely result from an interaction of inborn traits with our environment, including culture and life experiences. Natalie Reed recently wrote a piece about this issue from a trans* perspective that expresses a similar idea and that I highly recommend anyone read. I, for one, do not experience either my orientation or gender as being innate, though admittedly this could be a result of depression-induced dissociation.

20. Formality

This might be very true. I watched a documentary on tv and they said that if a mother has three boys the third boy will 90% likely be gay. I don't know though, it seems a bit too much, but it might just be true.

Anyways I have two older brothers and I am gay, so yea. I am pretty sure having older brothers can affect your sexuality.