1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arguing with a homophobe, please help

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MrHojalata98, Mar 20, 2013.

1. MrHojalata98

Ok I've been gone fromEC for a while, and since then the forum page looks a bit different so I have no clue where to post this. So sorry if this is the wrong place. Anyway I was checking my feed earlier today and this guy posted a picture about how marriage is between a man and a woman, that god created Adam and eve not Adam and Steve, blah blah blah. So naturally I started arguing with him. But honestly I'm tired of arguing religious people are WAY too stubborn. I however don't want to let him have the last word, so I need your help on what to reply to him. I'm not much of an arguer (I seriously doubt that's a word) but some of you on here are really good at it...so please help. So Im just gonna write his last reply, the whole conversation would be too long, here it is....."All I can do is pray for you bro. I said before I never hated gays. God wouldn't make you gay in order for you to go to hell. He's a god of love that wants his creations to go to heaven. In genesis with Adam and eve, god wanted marriage to be with only one man and one woman. God wouldn't defy himself by making his creations want the exact opposite from the beginning?!?! It's damming them to hell without even a chance. That's why I believe it's a choice, it's been proven that it is. Girls do it all the time after they experiment. I don't hate you, I'm not judging you" AND SCENE.....so yeah....damn that's a long thread, sorry about that. But come on if I'm gonna end the conversation I atleast want to shut him up real good :slight_smile:

2. Kat kanu

ask him then why are there animals that chose to be with one of there same sex

3. BornInTexas

Not trying to be mean, but PUNCTUATION SAVES LIFES AND EYES! D=

This might seem like mean advice, but it's only a reminder:

If I ever see religious posts against homosexuality, just ignore it. It 1. Lets them know it doesn't bother you. 2. Helps you realize that arguing with someone who obviously isn't going to change their mind because the of the Bible and all its goodness is futile and should be avoided at all cost.

You can look up a lot of comebacks on google. However, if I WERE to even argue, I would say that the also Bible says snakes can talk and wearing mixed fabrics is a sin.

4. Ticklish Fish

i am not a good arguer, but of all things a person can do in a life time, i am not sure why would God pick on sexuality so quickly to hell someone lol.

wasn't there a passage or versuses talking about taking care of people? treat people like how they would treat jesus or osmething?

5. I just hate how homophobic christians focus on one part of the old and new testament while ignoring the rest of the verses. They're just using god to justify their conservative reasons.

Attached Files:

6. Winfield

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    i'd personally meet up with then and knock them out...

but then thats just me...

7. BornInTexas

I like that picture. *saves*. summed up my thoughts.

8. Beware Of You

Its not worth the effort. I had a heated argument with a judgmental "Christian" within a proper debate at my old college.

I won in the end, but then I literally got harassed by them for the rest of a year. Just ignore them make them look like the fools they are

9. Devious Kitty

I could argue against him. I enjoy arguing with people. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Although I don't know what you believe or what exactly his positions are on various things.

10. Gen

Gen

Well, dear. Dont forget you guys are only fourteen. While that may mean nothing for you or other independent minded individuals. Many people in general, especially in your age group, turn more to influence and conformity than actual logic.

He is voicing his parent's, church's, and personal environment's beliefs, and there is nothing you can say at this moment that he is going to trust more than those. Dont let him get to you, and it's certainly not worth your time right now to try to disprove what he has been taught. You cant show everyone the light. I would just be the mature person and tell him that you will just have to disagree and move on living your life the way you see fit.

11. MrHojalata98

That actually makes a lot of sense haha. I just feel the need to stand up for myself because god knows I couldn't have done it a year ago. And if I can show someone out there who is scared of being themselves that they are not alone, that being gay is ok, then I'll gladly argue with any homophobic bigot I can find. Regardless of how many brain cells I lose. (btw he's 17 doubt that changes anything, just decided to put that out there)

12. 461 467

I find this interesting, because it is the opposite logic of what I am used to hearing. Some of the more sane Christians I know believe that God did not create homosexuality at all, but rather, it was the corruption of Satan that distorted God's natural plan for life. Therefore, when you say things like "Why would God make people gay if being gay is wrong?" the response is simply that homosexuality is not of God, and you were born of a sinful nature. Often, I find such logic to be followed by the usual speeches about forgiveness and freedom from sin through Christ, because of his sacrifice. Of course, I still find this logic to be quite flawed, because if it were true, then you really would be able to simply "pray away the gay," if you desired to serve God.

In any case, as the saying goes, arguing with a fool only proves that there are two. I've grown weary of discussing topics of gay rights with religious people, because no good ever comes from doing so. If a person is devout in their beliefs, no amount of arguing or reasoning will ever change their mind. Dogma simply cannot be questioned.

13. RainDreamer

If god doesn't want us here, and is omnipotent, then we wouldn't exist in the first place.
    So god is either not omnipotent - why call him god then?
    Or he want us here for a reason.

14. Ticklish Fish

since i used to re-re-read proverbs more than those political social argumental parts of bible, i remember that phrase somewhere in proverbs lol. something like the wise don't bother with fools hahaha.

and this kind of argument is the "slightly more logical arguments" lol. the premise probably go along the line that God made Adam and Eve, so therefore people shouldn't be gay or something. I have even heard of the argument that sins like homosexuality enters the world because adam and eve ate the fruit.... I need to seriously sit down and discuss all the viewpoints in a separate thread in EC. problem is, this might cause it to be shut down ._.

15. That1Guy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You're talking to a religious nut, there's nothing you can say that will really change his mind - he'll have to do that himself if he ever does. Religious nuts will use any justification they can to justify their ass-backwards beliefs.

16. Ridiculous

The correct response to this is "And all I can do is think for you."

17. Simba29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I personally believe God exists in the human mind...it's that persons reality. Those beliefs have either been drilled into their mind at a young age which is usually in their upbringing or that person wants to believe badly enough that there is some other higher force out there that is orchestrating our lives to an extent.It terrifies some people that there may be nothing out there, no real purpose to why we are here and that when we die there may be darkness.Looking at the bigger picture I think there is no such thing as a "God". If there is such a thing as a higher being or force I would say Mother Nature and you could interpret that to be anything you want.
    I'm tired of hearing over the years these so called "christian" homophobes who sprout out their beliefs and homosexuality is an abomination yada yada yada. Don't get me wrong I have nothing against people who want to believe in something I understand that but I just see no point..religion and beliefs have caused negativity and intolerance in the human race.

At the end of the day for those who are non believers just know that we are just as much of a christian or even more so then they will ever be.

18. Ticklish Fish

i think neil tyson or something.. an astrophysicist talk about how we're all molecules from the big bang and we're all related, even to the stars in the sky ^_^ so even if you look at lives without the religious approach, we're all awesome (!)

19. Simba29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Your exactly right Ticklish Fish we're all awesome Gay, Bi,Trans, Straight etc!

20. fuzzywuzzy

Where exactly in the bible is it written that God hates gays. Love is for everyone. The Allmighty one loves everybody. I don't believe you chose the lifestyle of a person who'd get bullied and biggoted all the time. I also don't believe that God made you gay so you can go to hell. Those who go to hell are the people telling you so. Those judgemental biggots who attack you and insult you just because you're different from them - Did you choose to have them as your enemies along with your everyday problems? Also I think that the interpretation of the Holy Bible varies from person to person. If you ask me, I wouldn't base my arguments on a silly unexplained book, written two thousand years ago. Don't get me wrong, I think of religion as means of promoting peace and love to people. Using it as a hate weapon is stupid and ignorant. Christianity itself focuses on understanding and love, even towards the sinful ones. If I was in your shoes and he'd really still believe that you chose to be fabulous I'd just quit arguing and/or even stop talking to this person.